Where Are The Scotch Drinkers?

Dago 3.0

I know there are some Glenfiddich fans in here. Has anybody tried the 15 year? I bought a bottle yesterday and it was like sipping on liquid sunshine. Had a subtle dark, smoky flavor (from the bourbon barrels?) paired with the sweetness of honey. absolutely amazing

I am thinking very hard about ordering a bottle of their Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams. Limited edition....only 3500 bottles in America.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 15 year a lot.

Feel free to send me a bottle.

your meat mail was not nearly impressive enough to warrant the 15 year Glenfiddich

tell you what, you can have a bottle of Speyburn. a reviewer said "The smell of turpentine and the taste of shoe polish."

Edited by Dago 3.0

I've got a nice bottle of Macallan open, and a Glenfiddich 12 year waiting to be opened. Haven't tried the 15, but the 18 is good.

I just ordered a sample bottle of the 18. want to taste it before I drop that kind of money on it

for only an additional $10-$15, the 15 is well worth it over the 12

this is the Cask of Dreams

caskofdreams.jpg

I am always leery about dropping serious money on alcohol because there have been times when I have that I firmly believe that a reviewers gave it a great review because they couldn't reconcile themselves with dropping a lot of money on a bottle of paint remover

Edited by Dago 3.0

That reminds me, I have sample bottles of Glenlivet 15 and 18 in my desk drawer here at work.

they may not be any good anymore. I suggest you send them to me for testing. I won't even charge you for it....that's just the kind of good friend I am

this is the Cask of Dreams

caskofdreams.jpg

I am always leery about dropping serious money on alcohol because there have been times when I have that I firmly believe that a reviewers gave it a great review because they couldn't reconcile themselves with dropping a lot of money on a bottle of paint remover

How much?

As far as single malts, I mostly drink Glenlivet and for blends, I usually go with Johnny Walker or Chivas Regal. But I'm just a reefer snob, not a liquor snob.. so I'll drink Dewar's, J&B, or whatever.

your meat mail was not nearly impressive enough to warrant the 15 year Glenfiddich

tell you what, you can have a bottle of Speyburn. a reviewer said "The smell of turpentine and the taste of shoe polish."

You should give Bob a mini Old Grand Dad and just call it even.

IMG_0033.JPG

As far as single malts, I mostly drink Glenlivet and for blends, I usually go with Johnny Walker or Chivas Regal. But I'm just a reefer snob, not a liquor snob.. so I'll drink Dewar's, J&B, or whatever.

You should give Bob a mini Old Grand Dad and just call it even.

IMG_0033.JPG

done

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-GRAND-DAD-MINATURE-BOTTLE-COLLECTABLE-SEALS-AND-LABELS-INTACT-COLLECTABLE-/230799765248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bcbcef00

• 1 month later...

I'm a self described Macallan nut but do enjoy Glenfiddich as well as Glenmorangie.

Macallan 15yr GOT>>>>>>>>>>

had Macallan 18 yr last night....absolutely amazing. blew me away

I also had a snifter of Laphroaig last night. Very interesting. Incredibly smoky with a potent bouquet. Definitely a scotch for a freezing cold night in front of the fire.

Glenfiddich 18 year is the bomb. I haven't tried the 15 year.

We celebrated the mastering of our album with Glenlivit 18 year.

But my usual drink of choice is Dahlmore 12 year. Good, quality single malt for a really nice price.

definitely give the Macallan a try as well. I

here is a list of the 5 major regions along with the major distilleries in each one and what you can expect from their single malts. I have scotch from all the regions except for the Lowland. Think I am going to try to find one of them next. So far I like the Speyside and Islay the best

Speyside

The Speyside region of Scotland is located along the River Spey in northeast Scotland. This small region has the highest density of distilleries, and in fact more distilleries than any other region in Scotland. Speyside whiskies are most noted for their smooth bodies and notes of fruit, supposedly the result of the fresh water provided by the river. Well-known distilleries from this region include Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Macallan.

Islay

A small island off the western coast in the Inner Hebrides, Islay (pronounced eye-luh) whiskies provide the proverbial other-side-of-the-coin in a stark contrast to Speyside malts. These whiskies are known for the peaty (very smoky) character, as well as notes of iodine and sea salt. Such characteristics are attributed to the peat used in the fuel and the exposure of the casks to strong sea airs.

Perhaps best known of the eight Islay distilleries are Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig.

Lowland

The Lowlands are the southernmost region of Scotland. With only three distilleries continuing operation, Lowland whiskies are a dying breed. These malts are traditionally distilled three times, giving them a very light body and taste.

The distilleries remaining in operation are Glenkinchie, Auchentoshan, and Bladnoch.

Highland

Hailing from the largest geographic region, Highland whiskies are difficult in terms of pinpointing uniform characteristics. They can be peaty like an Islay or delicate like a Speyside. On the whole, these whiskies have heavier bodies than their Lowland counterparts.

Aberfeldy, Dalwhinnie, and Old Putney are among the more recognizable names of this region.

Island

Island malts are often classified as a subset of the Highlands. However, these whiskies have certain underlying characteristics that deserve not to be ignored. Encompassing all of the islands but Islay, there is undoubtedly a good deal of variation, but you can typically count on Island malts to retain some of the iodine and salt of Islay whiskies (though not as intensely). Again, this is due to the proximity of the distilleries to the sea.

Some go-to distilleries from this region are Talisker, Arran, and Highland Park.

Finally got around to buying a bottle of the Glenmorangie "Nectar d'or" 12yr the other day. It was matured in French oak barrels that were used in making the famed sweet Sauternes wine of Bordeaux. Being a huge fan of Sauternes I had to give this a try and man I wasn't disappointed! Price was 59.99.

Glenmorangie%20Nectar%20D%20Or.jpg

From Glenmorangie's site. These notes are pretty much spot on.

Aroma

Lime and orange rind, sultanas and dates give a rich fruity flavour laced with tantalising spices of coconut and nutmeg.

Taste

Ginger, nutmeg and toasted almonds bring a deep, warming taste interwoven with a syrupy lemon meringue and honeycomb middle.

Finish

Long and lusciously sweet finish with lemon zest, white chocolate, vanilla and traces of ginger and nutmeg.

Glenfidditch and Macallan for me. I've got the 18 for both of them, and I've only cracked open the Macallan so far, which is incredible.

Guess I'm waiting for a special occasion to crack the Glen. Perhaps when the Falcons gutterstomp the Saints for the first time this year.