Why Do The Gop Use Scare Tactics In Election Years?

Spacey C

It really is ridiculous.

I won't go too far back, but the last twelve years, at election time its been " if the dems win, blah blah terror,blood and undercooked meat!"

2004 " the US faces a higher degree of Terror attacks if you vote Kerry in" **** Cheney

2008 " death panels!! your grandma is going before the death panel if Obama wins and she's probably gonna get the thumbs down! also, my son."

Palin paraphrased in 2008

"Women want to kill female embryos so much in America we need a specific, unenforcable bill to ban those specific abortions! we know this because the Chinese government kills female embryos and what better straight line comparison to US women than the Chinese government!?"

Can some of you folks stop enough and think?

The party that says they want less government will try to frighten you, to govern your mind to get in power.

Say what you will, but give me an example of the dems constantly using scare tactics if you think its not one sided.

I will admit the Dems lie on abortion,. because anyone who thinks knows the GOP has no plans to ever actually do anything but talk about abortion. So the dems should just shut up on that front also.

But even thats not a scare tactic. I haven't heard any Dem say " You will never be able to get an abortion if the GOP wins!"

Edited by TheThinker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is ridiculous.

I won't go too far back, but the last twelve years, at election time its been " if the dems win, blah blah terror,blood and undercooked meat!"

2004 " the US faces a higher degree of Terror attacks if you vote Kerry in" **** Cheney

2008 " death panels!! your grandma is going before the death panel if Obama wins and she's probably gonna get the thumbs down! also, my son."

Palin paraphrased in 2008

"Women want to kill female embryos so much in America we need a specific, unenforcable bill to ban those specific abortions! we know this because the Chinese government kills female embryos and what better straight line comparison to US women than the Chinese government!?"

Can some of you folks stop enough and think?

The party that says they want less government will try to frighten you, to govern your mind to get in power.

Say what you will, but give me an example of the dems constantly using scare tactics if you think its not one sided.

I will admit the Dems lie on abortion,. because anyone who thinks knows the GOP has no plans to ever actually do anything but talk about abortion. So the dems should just shut up on that front also.

But even thats not a scare tactic. I haven't heard any Dem say " You will never be able to get an abortion if the GOP wins!"

The Democrats use scare tactics all the time, and a lot of them are lies. For instance, Obama accusing the Chamber of Commerce of funneling foreign money into US campaigns. It wasn't true and was a scare tactic. I don't think the parties are much different in that regard. Where I see the biggest difference is the lockstep uniformity among Republicans in opposing anything Obama proposes, even if it's virtually identical to something that Reagan would have promoted.

The other thing that I see different that is more disturbing has to do with state laws and House legislation being passed that has no connection with any actual real-world problem. The Sharia law ban has passed several Republican state legislatures. You've got the gender specific abortion bills. You've got the voter ID laws.

All of these are examples of legislation intended to solve a problem that doesn't exist. And it's all based on ideology, not good policy and solving actual problems. This disconnect between actual problems and policies designed to solve those problems creates an even more dysfunctional government and, even worse, creates bad laws with serious unintended consequences (e.g., "stand your ground" laws).

The Democrats use scare tactics all the time, and a lot of them are lies. For instance, Obama accusing the Chamber of Commerce of funneling foreign money into US campaigns. It wasn't true and was a scare tactic. I don't think the parties are much different in that regard. Where I see the biggest difference is the lockstep uniformity among Republicans in opposing anything Obama proposes, even if it's virtually identical to something that Reagan would have promoted.

This is true, but I was talking mainly election years because they want it to affect the polls. It seems like the past three elections have been loud on the GOP side in scare tactics.

This is true, but I was talking mainly election years because they want it to affect the polls. It seems like the past three elections have been loud on the GOP side in scare tactics.

Probably because the level of ideological extremity has been greater on the Republican side than the Democratic side, you see more of the over-the-top "death panel" and "birther" type stuff. And that is given more mainstream credibility on the right than the left. FOX News was repeating the "death panel" lies during the campaign and the Republican presidential candidate met with a prominent birther (Trump) and did nothing to rebuke the lunacy.

When the presidential candidate himself associates with and fails to denounce that kind of insane conspiracy theory, the whole "both sides are equally responsible" argument goes right out the window. It's clear as day. Where political discourse and government dysfunction is concerned, the Republicans are the problem.

Edited by AcworthFalcFan

It would be wonderful to just stick with the facts and each parties ideas for handling the tough issues. All that goes out the window come election time, especially for the party that is behind in the polls. The motto then becomes "just win baby" because each side believes that a lie that helps you win now will pay off in the end because you are in a position to move your overall agenda forward, so a little lie here and there becomes "the cost of doing business". Democrats do it, Republicans do it, and it wins elections. The rules have been established and politicians are merely responding to what wins in elections. Who wants to be the side to cut the BS first?

It would be wonderful to just stick with the facts and each parties ideas for handling the tough issues. All that goes out the window come election time, especially for the party that is behind in the polls. The motto then becomes "just win baby" because each side believes that a lie that helps you win now will pay off in the end because you are in a position to move your overall agenda forward, so a little lie here and there becomes "the cost of doing business". Democrats do it, Republicans do it, and it wins elections. The rules have been established and politicians are merely responding to what wins in elections. Who wants to be the side to cut the BS first?

but lately , in the past 3 elections, the GOP are the only side playing the BS scare tactics. If you have an example of Dems playing scare tactics at election time, that don't have a ring of truth to them, as in the GOP examples I listed, then name them.

And then the onus is on the only ones using the tactic to stop it. Can we agree on that?

For instance: The GOP saying Obama will expand debt and spend spend spend... not a scare tactic as it was in some ways true and known to be true ahead of time..

The GOP saying there would be death panels?

Pure BS and known BS by the ones saying it. In other words: scare tactics.

globull warming has so much affect on daily lives too. 1. it's a great power grab giving EPA and such agencies stupid amounts of power over business and commerce and individual rights. 2. to make **** heads like al gore mega rich 3 to spurn an consumer economic bubble so again **** heads like GE can make billions. it's one of the dumbest things the think tanks have ever come up with, based on very little evidence.

Edited by The Delegate

you mean like "the war on women"? or "class warfare"? or "if we don't pass my stimulus unemployment will soar past 8%"? you're not much of a thinker, just a partisan hack.

again, why do I have to explain the thread title?

So you are saying Obama was trying to pass his stimulus before he was even elected?in other words, he has won one election, so its kinda hard for me to believe he was pushing his stimulus right at election time.

And why so much name calling and threats from the GOP here?

Please learn to think.

Edited by TheThinker

globull warming has so much affect on daily lives too. 1. it's a great power grab giving EPA and such agencies stupid amounts of power over business and commerce and individual rights. 2. to make **** heads like al gore mega rich 3 to spurn an consumer economic bubble so again **** heads like GE can make billions. it's one of the dumbest things the think tanks have ever come up with, based on very little evidence.

again, is this an election year scare tactic?

Not only that it hasn't been proven OR disproven. A scare tactic is something that is KNOWN to be not true but used to scare anyway.

Please learn to think.

again, is this an election year scare tactic?

Not only that it hasn't been proven OR disproven. A scare tactic is something that is KNOWN to be not true but used to scare anyway.

Please learn to think.

global warming was disproven thus the name change to 'climate change' which in itself is a completely stupid monicker. a redundant mess since climate is always changing. heed your own advice, misnomer.

Edited by The Delegate

global warming was disproven thus the name change to 'climate change' which in itself is a completely stupid monicker. a redundant mess since climate is always changing. heed your own advice, misnomer.

Im pretty sure you have a scoop there. Think!

lol global warming is no more did you not get the memo? it's name change to "climate change" is proof enough.

Did not get the memo because no memo was sent.

BTW, you may be interested to know I was never a believer in man made global warming, but most of the hottest years on record come after 2000, so yes, I believe something is up.

Changing the name is neither here nor there.

lol global warming is no more did you not get the memo? it's name change to "climate change" is proof enough.

The reason climate change is the new name is because it is more accurate.

When it gets warmer in some area, another area is going to have the opposite reaction in another area.

However GLOBAL temps have indeed gone up.

That is indisputable.