Don't Bank On Grimes Being A Falcon For Life

Don't Bank on Grimes Being a Falcon for Life

by James Rael on May 31, 2012 10:21 PM EDT

Fact: Brent Grimes was contacted by the U.S. Air Force - they wanted to use him as a cruise missile

The Falcons brass has a difficult decision ahead. We all know it's coming. Sign Brent Grimes to a long-term contract or let him walk?

I'm glad I'm not Thomas Dimitroff, because decisions of this magnitude are never easy. Granted, the decision won't be made in the near future. I think. Odds are we have time. But sooner or later, they will have to decide.

There's no debating that Optimus is a talented player. The kid has skills. He was doubted at every level. Yet he's proven himself time and time again. The man deserves a fat paycheck. The best cover corner in our much-improved secondary, he deserves what's coming to him.

Join me after the jump and we'll break this down.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Here are the irrefutable facts:

Here are some possible scenarios:

• Our pass rush improves dramatically - and not just because we have one of the better corner back corps in football
  • The Falcons invest like whoa in John Abraham's replacement between now and the beginning of the 2013 season
  • Chris Owens and/or Dominique Franks progress in impressive fashion in 2012
  • The Falcons look to replace both Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner before the 2013 season begins - and nabbing those replacements doesn't come cheap

If I had my way, we'd resign him. But that only happens if the figurative cards fall right.

To be honest, they may surprise us all. They may resign him mid-season. They may not. One thing is for sure. His fate is unknown at this point. And you shouldn't bank on him being a Falcon for life. There are just too many unknowns. Too many possibilities.

Discuss!

I think Dunta Robinson is a big part of this equation. If he returns to Houston form, then he stays with the team, and that makes Grimes much more expendable. If Robinson has another average year, then he goes and Grimes stays... Unless of course 2 of our other corners make dramatic improvements to the point where they can be counted on to play and hold up for 60 minutes.

Edited by SwampyMux12

I think Dunta Robinson is a big part of this equation. If he returns to Houston form, then he stays with the team, and that makes Grimes much more expendable. If Robinson has another average year, then he goes and Grimes stays... Unless of course 2 of our other corners make dramatic improvements to the point where they can be counted on to play and hold up for 60 minutes.

No, Dunta will never return to Houston form on the outside. It isn't his strongpoint, it has never been. It wasn't his strongpoint in the NFL, in wasn't his strongpoint in college, we can't afford to let Grimes walk and depend on Dunta to play outside.

I'm not even worried about Dunta this year, as I'm pretty much convinced that he's gonna breakout in the nickel position and you all will see that a bad year doesn't make a bad player. Everyone can improve, and Dunta working with a vet like Asante, and a genius like Nolan can only up his game.

We have to do something. We have to hope that franks, owens, and wall develop as pretty good corners so we don't have to waist draft picks in the future. TD needs to start think early and not let key players hit free agency. Moore should be his top priority during this season.

I'm about the whatever with Grimes. Seriously tho, a minor issue that bugs me is in the articles from this place,..this (After the jump shyt) is just odd. What jump? it all follows after a 3 star line. Read after the jump? WTF are they talking about? Not really irritating, just odd. Anyway, I'll post more after my jump. Just scroll down.

fat_guy_jump-10862.jpg

See, just like I said I'd do. Yeah, not impressive to me either.

Edited by Guvmintcheeze

We have to do something. We have to hope that franks, owens, and wall develop as pretty good corners so we don't have to waist draft picks in the future. TD needs to start think early and not let key players hit free agency. Moore should be his top priority during this season.

It does not take 3+ years for the cream to rise to the top.

Grimes is not a Deion Sanders, but Grimes has the same level of

compettitive drive in him that Deion did.

Franks and Owens are scrubs.

Grimes age does not worry me in the slightest bit. Age effects different players differently. Look at guys like Steve Smith (Carolina). He has not slowed down a bit and nor will he. Grimes has that type of physical attributes to me. Unless Dunta has a big jump in Nolans system then I see us possibly releasing/trading him. It also could come down to how long Nolan stays here. If he comes in and our D is top 5, it is very likely that he could end up being a head coach somewhere or get paid more by another team.

How bout we wait and see what happens in 2012 first.

We're jumpin the gun here folks. Slow down.

Go enjoy the fine ATL weather.

Um this is a message board. People are supposed to jump the gun on here. I didn't realize you were THAT guy. I'll make sure I copy that quote and anytime I see you giving the slightest prediction or speculation I will post it lol

I think Grimes stays and is kept on a 3 year extension, so here for 4 more years including this one. He'll be 33 by then and his athleticism will have eroded to the point where he can't make up for his lack of height and pure speed. Dunta is the one who will be gone simply because it is much easier to find a good nickel CB than to find a good outside CB. We have one guy on the roster who I believe will replace Dunta after this season, especially if Dunta is only above average: Dominique Franks.

Franks is a physical CB who is better in the slot anyway -- he was forced to play outside due to injuries. After one season as the dime back under Nolan and with progression he should be the nickel back in 2013 after we let Dunta go or trade him for a draft pick. This will free up $5 mil to use on: a RB (loaded 2013 free agent class), possibly an OT if Holmes doesn't show much (loaded OT class, Jake Long and Ryan Clady could be free), a WR to replace 31 year old Roddy like Mike Wallace (imagine Koetter's vertical offense with Julio and Mike Wallace...), a DE (Cliff Avril has yet to sign long term, Anthony Spencer is a guy who could be a 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB for Nolan), a TE like Fred Davis, or if DeCoud falters a personal favorite of mine: Tyvon Branch from Oakland.

With Baker off the books, TG off the books, Michael Turner restructuring down from $5 mil of released outright, and Dunta restructuring or traded/released, we could have a ton of cash to spend and this may have been TD's plan to conserve funds for this free agency. I'm thinking we go hard after two positions, and that Lamar Holmes is our left tackle for 2013 at the latest so we won't need an O-linemen.

1) RB Jonathan Stewart, 26 years old, workhorse stud and ideal RB for our Koetter offense. Plays an MJD role.

2) DE/OLB Anthony Spencer. Not an ideal pick, but he's a guy who could be a difference maker as a 3-4 OLB and put his hand in the ground and serve as a Justin Tuck DL for us.

That frees up our draft to get a TE and DT in the first two rounds and BPA in the 3rd. I'd love to get Tyvon Branch as our FS but we extended DeCoud and he should be decent under Nolan, leaving other needs highlighted as "more pressing". I think our secondary with Branch and Moore as the safeties could be elite. Our CB trio would be Grimes and Asante with Franks in the slot.

I've been looking more and more into a WR because of the article on WR production over 30 and it really tails off after 31 which is what Roddy is turning. To keep Matt Ryan improving and to get him elite we need more than just Julio for his career. To get Mike Wallace to pair with Julio would be absolutely deadly. Same for Dwayne Bowe who is going to be a free agent.

Sorry for the irrelevant points, I got on a roll.

We need Grimes in Atlanta. He's a very dependable corner. However, there very well may be someone good to replace him if we don't want to resign him long-term. But, despite his age, he's still a very good player, and I think he has one long-term contract left with us before leaving. That's what I believe they'll do, because he's too good to let go.