Sec's Playoff Position: Big Ten Is Scared.

SacFalcFan

I usually like Chris Low's stuff but this article isn't one of his better pieces. He makes a mistake in making it a north-south type of argument. The Big Ten and SEC have essentially just switched roles. It used to always be the SEC on the outside looking in, waiting for a Big Ten team to lose to a team they have no right losing to so they might get a shot at the national title.

Plain and simple, major college football is never going to have a system that pleases everyone. The system covers such a wide region and ranks teams that mostly don't even play each other, even using "style points" to bump a team up or down by the fashion in which they beat an inferior team.

Of course, my personal opinion is that the SEC dominance is no mistake and that Big Ten fans should be scared. Big Ten wins over the SEC have been far and few between and their marquee win... Ohio State over Arkansas... was only made possible by Ohio State fielding a bunch of ineligible players and Arkansas receivers dropping like 20 passes in the game.

Dang it looks like the two reporters (Rinntenberg and Low) might come to blows based on the type of language used in these articles. I gotta think Low wins it just based purely on the greatness he has surely developed just by covering the SEC.

In my opinion, the Big Ten needs to give up its "tradition" of the Rose Bowl because it just doesnt carry the same meaning that it used to. And honestly, most bowl games are meaningless unless you follow a team that is in one of them or its the natty.. It is time for a playoff, screw tradition. As a Big Ten fan (Michigan) I would like to thank the SEC. It is keeping the sport of football great. NFL football has changed too much and has gotten way too offensive oriented/pass heavy. It is slowly becoming 7 on 7 by the year. This is why I love the SEC. It is true smashmouth football, the way it ought to be. As a Big Ten fan and a football fan overall, I hope they keep this type of play alive and prove once again that defense wins championships. I loved the title game for these reasons. It was an old school game in an era where 54-46 scores arent just for college basketball anymore. I found it very refreshing and hope to see more of it this year. In light of this, I am happy to say that the Big Ten is on the way back with Michigan leading the way. They have the #1 recruiting class by a mile to go along with a top class last year. They are building around the O-Line and a restored defense. They also arent a weak spread team anymore and are going back to their smashmouth roots after Denard Robinson leaves. Michigan will be a legitimate threat year after year and the SEC contenders will have competition once again. Also, Wisconsin has become a pretty good smashmouth power football team and Ohio is recruiting well and should be a solid team along with Michigan State, Penn State, and Nebraska. This is good for college football and will help a push for a playoff. Heres to an NCAA Playoff system going into effect sometime in our lifetimes! lol Go Blue!

Edited by Dirty Bird Since 2001

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the Big Ten needs to give up its "tradition" of the Rose Bowl because it just doesnt carry the same meaning that it used to. And honestly, most bowl games are meaningless unless you follow a team that is in one of them or its the natty.. It is time for a playoff, screw tradition. As a Big Ten fan (Michigan) I would like to thank the SEC. It is keeping the sport of football great. NFL football has changed too much and has gotten way too offensive oriented/pass heavy. It is slowly becoming 7 on 7 by the year. This is why I love the SEC. It is true smashmouth football, the way it ought to be. As a Big Ten fan and a football fan overall, I hope they keep this type of play alive and prove once again that defense wins championships. I loved the title game for these reasons. It was an old school game in an era where 54-46 scores arent just for college basketball anymore. I found it very refreshing and hope to see more of it this year. In light of this, I am happy to say that the Big Ten is on the way back with Michigan leading the way. They have the #1 recruiting class by a mile to go along with a top class last year. They are building around the O-Line and a restored defense. They also arent a weak spread team anymore and are going back to their smashmouth roots after Denard Robinson leaves. Michigan will be a legitimate threat year after year and the SEC contenders will have competition once again. Also, Wisconsin has become a pretty good smashmouth power football team and Ohio is recruiting well and should be a solid team along with Michigan State, Penn State, and Nebraska. This is good for college football and will help a push for a playoff. Heres to an NCAA Playoff system going into effect sometime in our lifetimes! lol Go Blue!

I love the direction Michigan is going. I said it when they hired Brady Hoke and it's holding true. Rich Rod was a high risk/high reward type of hiring and ultimately it just didn't work out. But I think Brady Hoke is the perfect guy to rebuild the team and get Michigan back to being Michigan... and I don't care what any SEC homers say, that's great for college football. They didn't belong in a BCS bowl last season but it is what it is and they earned a good win. I look forward to seeing Michigan back up around the top section of the polls and belonging there.

A true 4-team playoff is looking more and more like it will be reality in 2014, rather than the de facto "plus one" format that has been brought up. I don't think 4 is enough, but it's a great place to start and from there hopefully we can build up to no more than 8 teams so it doesn't become a watered down playoff like the basketball tournament has become.

I love the direction Michigan is going. I said it when they hired Brady Hoke and it's holding true. Rich Rod was a high risk/high reward type of hiring and ultimately it just didn't work out. But I think Brady Hoke is the perfect guy to rebuild the team and get Michigan back to being Michigan... and I don't care what any SEC homers say, that's great for college football. They didn't belong in a BCS bowl last season but it is what it is and they earned a good win. I look forward to seeing Michigan back up around the top section of the polls and belonging there.

A true 4-team playoff is looking more and more like it will be reality in 2014, rather than the de facto "plus one" format that has been brought up. I don't think 4 is enough, but it's a great place to start and from there hopefully we can build up to no more than 8 teams so it doesn't become a watered down playoff like the basketball tournament has become.

i think 8 would be ideal. have conference champs of the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC.Plus, 3 at-large qualifiers. That way a team like Alabama last year would get in and teams like Boise, Utah, etc. would also get their shots. No auto-qualifier for the Big East though. They are not an elite conference anymore.

I usually like Chris Low's stuff but this article isn't one of his better pieces. He makes a mistake in making it a north-south type of argument. The Big Ten and SEC have essentially just switched roles. It used to always be the SEC on the outside looking in, waiting for a Big Ten team to lose to a team they have no right losing to so they might get a shot at the national title.

Plain and simple, major college football is never going to have a system that pleases everyone. The system covers such a wide region and ranks teams that mostly don't even play each other, even using "style points" to bump a team up or down by the fashion in which they beat an inferior team.

Of course, my personal opinion is that the SEC dominance is no mistake and that Big Ten fans should be scared. Big Ten wins over the SEC have been far and few between and their marquee win... Ohio State over Arkansas... was only made possible by Ohio State fielding a bunch of ineligible players and Arkansas receivers dropping like 20 passes in the game.

Don't remind me. dry.png