Falcons Will Go Vertical Under Koetter

The 4 verticals concept puts pressure on defensive backs by pinning them back on their heels while they’re in coverage. This is a very successful concept and it’s used throughout football, but less in the NFL. While Koetter likes to utilize his vertical passing threats, he also doesn’t mind calling for short passes from this concept, and throwing it to the tailback who is “leaking” out of the backfield and has a matchup advantage against a linebacker. This is where running back Jacquizz Rodgers, a small but dynamic runner, could come into play for the Falcons.

http://www.thescore....er-dirk-koetter

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

This is almost word-for-word what we were hearing about this time last year.

Let's face it.

Our QB, not our OC, isn't built for "Going vertical."

He's got a reliable range of about 15 yards folks.

He didn't have time to throw it last year. I believe the line will improve with the additions.

I do to I found another article last year breaking down the 49ners running 4 verticals and if they can run it with Alex Smith its no reason we cant run it with Ryan. Brees did not become who he is until he got to New Orleans and what do they love to run? 4 Verticals

Let's face it.

I see you are still giving him credit for the two points that the DEFENSE scored.

You love you some Matt Ryan don't you.

Guest Gritz

Let's face it.

I see you are still giving him credit for the two points that the DEFENSE scored.

You love you some Matt Ryan don't you.

Writing style similar...CHECK.....Spacing between sentences......CHECK.....Obvious same poster......CHECK.

DK: “I look at the concept of four verticals to be a horizontal stretch route. I look at a vertical stretch as three levels: you’re stretching the defense high, intermediate and low. Four verticals don’t really do that. They call it four verticals. Whoever came up with that based it on what the offensive guys are doing. It stretches the field horizontally. Number one, we have a whole bunch of ways to tag it and change it. It’s more complicated than four guys running down the field. In its purist form, if you’re running four verticals against a three deep zone you’re working a horizontal stretch against a free safety. Or if you’re running a four vertical concept against a two deep zone you’re going two on one on the half field safety. That is a horizontal stretch on a safety. When people think about horizontal stretch they think a curl/flat concept. But a curl/flat concept is too easily defeated by a two deep, five under coverage. It’s not my favorite. There would be a place for it, but it’s not my favorite. What I like about a four vertical package, based on how you tweak it, you could give your QB an answer against any coverage. The weakness of it is that you need to be in five or six man protection. There’s no way you can get four verticals protecting with seven or eight.

The bolded is the difference between Koetter and MM. As often as we saw curls/comebacks and how we couldn't move against two deep, five under coverage (Cover 2) shows how more developed of an OC Koetter is to MM. Koetter wants to give Ryan an answer to any coverage in every play he calls.

The weakness that he points out is the OLine. He needs a strong OLine, which MM didn't have, but still not an excuse to his incompetence against tougher defenses.

Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

Writing style similar...CHECK.....Spacing between sentences......CHECK.....Obvious same poster......CHECK.

And "Gritz" whiffs for the umpteenth time on these boards.

I just sent MRA a quick PM.

I may be wrong, but a legend may have returned.

I do to I found another article last year breaking down the 49ners running 4 verticals and if they can run it with Alex Smith its no reason we cant run it with Ryan. Brees did not become who he is until he got to New Orleans and what do they love to run? 4 Verticals

Matt Ryan's arm blows away Alex Smith's.

Let's face it.

Why wouldnt he be?

QBs rarely chuck the ball downfield, its not like we're asking him to chuck it every throw 30 yards like its NFL blitz. What will change is that he will have more men in space running down the field, and he will have screen options. I welcome that, if Mike Primitivesky is accused of something it is being an incompetent and a moron. Too often I've seen us in max protect trying to advance the ball to two WRS running curl routes being defensed by a stadium full of men. If I was the dictator I'd have this dude tied up and proded with an elephant dikk untill the end of time.

Edited by osiruz

Guest Gritz

And "Gritz" whiffs for the umpteenth time on these boards.

If I had a buck for every time you whiff on these boards I'd be taking my private jet to the French Riviera this weekend.

You do provide a modicum of entertainment though. Watching you try and put together a salient point is like watching Paris Hilton compete in a spelling bee.

If I had a buck for every time you whiff on these boards I'd be taking my private jet to the French Riviera this weekend.

You do provide a modicum of entertainment though. Watching you try and put together a salient point is like watching Paris Hilton compete in a spelling bee.

BOOM! You got him.

What you didn't catch about that was that there was a lot of complaints about Smith missing a lot of opportunities down field also. He had no confidence in throwing his receivers open and would only make the obvious throws.

What I would like to see is what Smitty and Koetter keep talking about that they have been most focused on lately and that is that they keep saying that they are going to try and cut down on this offenses weaknesses. So in other words they are creating plays that will hide what they can't do while using plays that they do well.

“Dirk and I have had numerous discussions in terms of what our players are capable of doing,’’ Smith said during the meetings. “I think, first and foremost, you have to design your schemes toward what the players are capable of doing. We’ve spent a lot of time identifying the strengths and weakness of all our guys and what they do well and what they don’t do well, and we want to put together an offense that accentuates their strengths.’

Seriously though, I think the whole point of this design is to get in between the defenders, regardless of where they may be, heading towards the endzone. I don't think the point of this is to hit them at the farthest point of their route, yet to rather hit them in stride, while going in between the defenders, allowing them to get YAC. If the targeted receiver is only 20 yards down field, but you see he has all day to run because the defenders are worrying about other receivers, there is no reason it needs to be an 80 yard perfectly thrown ball into a tight spot.