Interesting People You Have Met In Your Life.

Rambler

I was swapping war stories today with a co-worker when it dawned on me that I have met some characters in my line of work as well as people who had fascinating stories to tell. Without listing "famous" people you have met or went to school with who have you met or worked with that had incredible stories to tell? One person who stands out to me is Hanna, a middle aged cook who I worked with when I was a busboy for the Quality Inn Restaurant in Hapeville Ga. back in the 70`s. Hanna was a young girl when she was forced to work in Hitlers kitchen in Berlin during the war and barely escaped with her life. She was extremely reluctant to talk about her time in Germany in those days, but some of the stories she did tell me have stayed with me even today.

I can go on and on about the characters I have worked with but how bout some of you? Who have you met in your life that have told of their life experiences that stay with you today?

I've always been a huge fan of boxing. I worked with a guy and he was a big boxing fan too. We talked a lot about upcoming fights, debated past boxers, etc. One day he asks me if I want to meet a famous boxer. Of course I said yes, so we got in his car and drove to the Ritz in Buckhead. It was Muhammad Ali. He never told me before so I had no idea we were going to meet The Champ. His uncle has been Muhammad Ali's personal photographer for 40+ years. Needless to say, that will stick with me forever.

I had lunch with Nelly Furtado a few years back with a mutual friend ...

She's big in Canada , not quite sure if you guys even know who she is lol ...

Yeah, of course, but I've wondered why her career seemed to fizzle out. I thought she was going to be a mega star.

I can honestly say my Dad is the most interesting person I've ever known. From his days at an Animal Housesque frat at Tech, his years in the Army, movie producer (not huge) tax shelters (mid 70s) real estate and all the people and places he met and been over the decades. Maybe he's just the most interesting because he told me so much more than others I've known and not because he's done more. Regardless, he's still far and away the most interesting person I've ever known and I'm grateful he's still around!

I had lunch with Nelly Furtado a few years back with a mutual friend ...

She's big in Canada , not quite sure if you guys even know who she is lol ...

That's awesome! I love Nelly Furtado, always have ever since she released I'm Like A Bird. She's pretty big here as well.

When I was a teenager working at McDonalds, I went out to clean the lobby and the only guy in the restaurant at that time asked me for a refill of his coffee. I came back and he asked me to have a seat. He proceeded to tell me his life story and dropped obscenities with every third word or so. He finally told me about how his wife left him for his best friend and how they managed to take literally everything from him, leaving him homeless.

He then smiled and told me that he lucked out and came into a lot of money. He was going to go downtown and open up a storefront and help out anyone who came in that needed money for something. He looked me in the eye and told me that he knew that his ****ing ***** of an ex-wife was going to come by and need something from him one day. He smiled a mean-looking smile and asked me "Do you know what I'm going to tell her when she does?"

"What?", I asked waiting for him to put his revenge into words. "You can have it. I forgive you". I literally felt that he was God's messenger. I was amped up to hear him rip his ex to pieces and he was more forgiving than I probably could have been. Since then, I find it easier to forgive people. That dirty, foul-mouthed bum was one of the most influential people I ever met and I only talked to him for 10 minutes of my 50 years on Earth.

The most interesting person I've ever known is my best friend Ravi. I'm not going to go into too much detail about what is great about him, because it's personal, but i will tell you that you can see him in the upcoming GI Joe 2 movie. He is playing the advisor to the Pakistani President. I think the gets shot lol.

So....other than that....I'll just go with the famous people I've met.

I've known Pete Van Wieren for nearly 30 years, although it's been more than a decade since I have seen him or spoken to him. His son is one of my best friends from high school.

I sat next to Mark Lemke on a plane to New York in 1991 when he was going home during the All Star break. We talked about the chances of the Braves making a run in the second half of the season, which...of course they did. A run that lasted 14 years.

I spent several days in a condo with Harry Douglas and friends down at the Super Bowl in Tampa in 2008. He is a very good guy and he is funny too.

Most people who have been on this board a while know that I am an obsessed fan of the band Everclear. I've met Art Alexakis probably 12-15 times. He usually calls security and makes sure that they keep an eye on me when I am at his shows lol.

Nah just kidding. Art is a great guy, and a great great songwriter.

I sat next to Mark Lemke on a plane to New York in 1991 when he was going home during the All Star break. We talked about the chances of the Braves making a run in the second half of the season, which...of course they did. A run that lasted 14 years.

The Lemmer?!?!?! AND.......in 1991?!?!?

I was in 7th grade that magical year and he was my favorite player.

Wow. Just wow!

I've met a few celebrities and pseudo celebrities. Got baked on a crappy tour bus with 3EB after a show at the Cotton Club before they were big, or as big as they got. They were dry, so needless to say they were happy to make my acquaintance. Was at a party where Flea was at and he went with a group of us to the Clairmont. I didn't know whotf he was at the time. Met, or shook Rod Stewarts hand at Saints & Sinners, waited on Bill Curry when I was in college.

The Lemmer?!?!?! AND.......in 1991?!?!?

I was in 7th grade that magical year and he was my favorite player.

Wow. Just wow!

Yeah he was flying to Utica, and I was flying up there to be stationed at Fort Drum. He got on the plane at the last minute wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, and he had a 5 oclock shadow, so I didn't even recognize him at first.

The he started talking to the lady sitting on the other side of him and mentioned something to the effect of usually riding in first class, and it made me look closer at him, and I said "hey, your Mark Lemke!"

The Braves had just had a frustrating loss at the Dodgers the day before and I think they had lost due to a throwing error on his part, but he wasn't too down about it.

He was really cool, when we got off he gave me two of his baseball cards and said "I'll sign them if you want me to". I was like, "Duh...yeah" lol.

Then I sent them off to my GF to impress her, and then a few months later I broke up with my GF, so I never saw those again lol.

I know Kyle Korver, the nba player. Other than that, my most interesting (not famous) person would have to have been a former (Unrepentant) Waffen SS soldat who was stationed at a concentration/death camp. The dude at **** near 90 had no guilt, no shame and a lot of hate left in him. He was actually a member of the Nazi guerrillas in Germany after WWII trying to bring back the Reich. That was a pretty surreal experience.

When I feel a little more clearheaded I'll mention that one unique person that isn't known. Until then...here are some folks you may have heard of that I've run into or hung out with.

Hank Aaron (yeah THAT Hank Aaron) comes into my wine shop on occasion. He's a fan of French Bordeaux wine from Saint-Emilion. Always has his dude with him but has always been a nice guy. I don't really bug him with baseball questions given that he's always asking me questions about our wine selection.

Don Sutton has come into the shop a few times. HOF.

Leo Mazzone used to come in all the time before he moved to the burbs north of the city. Guy is hilarious! Made no bones about the pitchers that were pissing him off. He never hid his feelings about anything Braves (this is when he was still the pitching coach '03-'05). Even gave me seats behind home plate a few times as well.

Bumped into Matthew Broderick in NYC around 1992 when he was on SNL. I was on a NBC studio tour and he was washing his hands next to me in the bathroom. I was a kid and all I remember saying was I loved Ladyhawk and he was really cool telling me how, up to that point, it was his favorite part... even over Ferris.

Hung out and got baaaaaaaked with the bassist of Pavement in Louisville back in '98 and had no idea who he was. Lived in what looked like a dingy frat house not far from Churchill Downs. Later that night my girl at the time took me to a show and I was like "hey that's the guy we were hangin with earlier!?!?" She was like "yeah I told you I knew them fool!" Afterwards we had a great time with all of the guys and got into a some minor shenanigans til the sun came up. THAT was an awesome memory I'll never forget even though I should've.

Yeah, of course, but I've wondered why her career seemed to fizzle out. I thought she was going to be a mega star.

That's awesome! I love Nelly Furtado, always have ever since she released I'm Like A Bird. She's pretty big here as well.

She's had a kid and put family first...if I'm not mistaken she went to the same highschool as Steve Nash in Victoria B.C.

I was in the same class at Lakeside High School as Samantha Power.

Probably none of you ever heard of her but she is currently a Special Assistant to President Obama, and she is the Senior Director of Multilateral Affairs on the National Security Council. She also has a Pulitzer Prize for her book A Problem from ****. And, she is also the Founding Executive Director and the Anna Lindh Professor of Practice of Global Leadership at the Public Policy of the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at Harvard University.

Oh, and Glenn Beck recently called her the "Most Dangerous Woman in America".

But hey......she doesn't make me feel like a loser or anything. I've done some stuff lol.

I had lunch with Dave Winfield after picking him up from the airport. This was a long time ago, in fact his last year playing '95 but you could still go out meet people at their gate and he came off the plane with Lou Pinella---I was almost speechless. I don't think people really knew, they just walked on by.

These are all the famous people I met in my life. I met Muhammad Ali. Had lunch with Usher at Hooters on Jimmy Carter. Beat DMX in pool for $20 at Mako's in Buckhead. Met Animal, Hawk, the Iron Shiek, and Hacksaw Jim Duggan. And I went to a club in Beverly Hills with a couple of the guys from American Pie (Finch and the Lacross guy). I also dated a girl in high school that became Britney Spears massage therapist, although I never met Britney. She's the one that took me out with those American Pie actors.

My mother's best friend worked for a limo service that picked up all of the wrestlers back in the day. Usher was completely random. I saw him at Hooters and just walked up to say hello. He invited me to sit down and eat lunch but I declined not wanting to intrude. He said I wasn't and to take a seat so I did. Honestly, I felt stupid even saying hello to the dude but he was real cool.

I have a crazy/amazing story about a non famous most interesting person, but it's too long and couldn't be effectively communicated without the details, especially in a forum like this.

However, from a famous person perspective, by far the most interesting I've met (which will surprise some because of my political leanings) is Bill Clinton. I had the opportunity to have a meeting and dinner with him and 7 others (it was a group of VC guys) 9 years ago. He was so engaging that by the end of the evening I was almost willing to give the guy a Lewinsky. The man has charisma despite everything else you could say about him.