If You Could Take Back Any One Move The Falcons Have Made--What Would It Be

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you shut up.

Everything with regards to Vick (which I disagree with as we did have 2 playoff runs), Reeves, Petrino lead us to where we are now. The organization was forced to look at it's failures and make wholesale changes (McKay as GM, etc.) Favre would have never become the QB he was in Atlanta. To me that leaves moves like Peerless and Ray. Ray has pretty much given us nothing and while his contract isn't what truly kept us hamstrung (see Dunta Robinson) it's not helping. People are hoping he's going to get better but the guy just sucks from what I can see. Vikings fans weren't sorry to see him go for a good reason.

So you are saying worse than Jamaal? Worse than Price? Worse than Chris Crocker? Von Hutchins? Worse than Duckett for Lelie? Jason Webster? Joe Horn? ED HARTWELL??? BRUCE PICKENS??? Trading to draft Reggie Kelly in the second round???

Oh and I forgot: Hiring Petrino??

To call Edwards the worst ever Falcons move after one season is just plain being a blowhard about a move you didn't like.

Reeves was a good HC but he was terrible at drafting, with that being said there's very little reason to believe he would have used the YKW pick on good players.

He did after all pick Duckett over Reed, trade a 1st rd pick for a 2nd rd blocking TE, I believe that drafting YKW, and his betrayal got us into the position we are in now.

So I would have to say drafting JA over Willis would be the one thing I would change if I could

Glad you agreed

I mean Ray Rice is one of best rbs in league so Turner have to replaced by someone in ball park as Rice .. Good Luck with that

When Foster was plucked off the UDFA pile, no one even knew who he was, and he won a rushing title. Not sure where the replacement comes from, but these days a RB replacement could come from anywhere, and could end up being a worldbeater you've never heard of.

As far as the one move I would take back, that is hard because there is a litany. Perhaps I'd take back allowing Falcons players to be in MC Hammer videos. Perhaps I'd take back getting rid of the Red Helmets..I think the best one still has to be letting Reeves keep his job, and let him tutor and mentor Vick into harnessing his talent instead of wasting it on being late to practice and killing dogs.

So you are saying worse than Jamaal? Worse than Price? Worse than Chris Crocker? Von Hutchins? Worse than Duckett for Lelie? Jason Webster? Joe Horn? ED HARTWELL??? BRUCE PICKENS??? Trading to draft Reggie Kelly in the second round???

Oh and I forgot: Hiring Petrino??

To call Edwards the worst ever Falcons move after one season is just plain being a blowhard about a move you didn't like.

No it's not. If you still hold out hope for the pick up then that's fine but how about not being an *sshat due to a differing opinion. If you'd read my post instead of flipping otu because your opinion was different you would have read where I said moves like Petrino don't qualify to me because they helped us get to where we are with TD, Smitty, etc. Jamaal is up there, but draft picks are often hit or miss. EVERY team in the league missed on a 1st rounder within the past 5-8 years. TJ had productive seasons for us...the worst? Hardly. Lelie...we acquired him in the TJ trade after getting Norwood. Hardly expensive enough to qualify as the worst in my eyes. Von Hutchins? Seriously doubt we broke the bank for a FA pick up like him in '08. Outside of the Price & Hartwell signing most of those moves were hardly costly enough in what we paid or gave up to even qualify and as bad as Peerless was I'd still say he contributed more than Ray has at this stage. Ray Edwards got a $30 million contract and I doubt he hits 5+ sacks next season either. Hartwell was awful but at least at one point he blew out his achilles.

When Foster was plucked off the UDFA pile, no one even knew who he was, and he won a rushing title. Not sure where the replacement comes from, but these days a RB replacement could come from anywhere, and could end up being a worldbeater you've never heard of.

As far as the one move I would take back, that is hard because there is a litany. Perhaps I'd take back allowing Falcons players to be in MC Hammer videos. Perhaps I'd take back getting rid of the Red Helmets..I think the best one still has to be letting Reeves keep his job, and let him tutor and mentor Vick into harnessing his talent instead of wasting it on being late to practice and killing dogs.

Good post

Going way back I would say firing Leeman Bennett and hiring Dan "Destructo" Henning. We went from a perennial playoff contender to the cellar almost overnight.

I don't think you can blame JG for the Farve trade. Farve said himself he likely never would have matured in Atlanta.

Losing Sanders was inevitable. He was not going to stay in Atlanta unless we wrecked our cap to keep him. Though I did hate Herock for losing him to a division rival. And Sanders for leaving.

As bad as it ended, I don't regret drafting Vick. He brought us some incredible moments during his tenure. I'm more inclined to think Blank was quick on the trigger with Dan Reeves. Reeves had Vick in the perfect offense for his skillset, and was the missing father figure to Vick. Vick wanted to do right by Reeves. He never respected Mora or (especially) Knapp. Under Reeves I think the dog fighting would have been sniffed out and squashed before it ever drew the attention of the feds. And I also think we'd already have a Lombardi or two. Blank learned a BIG lesson from that. Which is why I think Smitty is much less on the hot seat than some might think.

I think we've made some big 1st round misses recently. JA with Willis on the board (as mentioned) being one. Perra Jelly another.

That being said, once upon a time the Falcons traded two (1994 and 1996) 1st round draft picks for a QB that had a 14-35 career record at the time. Not only was he a losing QB, but he was a complete ********* too. I am, of course.......talking about Jeff George.

The Colts traded the 1994 pick to the Niners, who drafted Bryant Young, who went on to be a 4 time All Pro, and may be in the HOF someday.

The second pick was used on a guy named Marvin Harrison, who may not go to the HOF, but certainly had a HOF worthy career.

So, all things considered, if I could go back in time and undo one transaction, this is it. I would have kept those two first round picks and drafted those two future studs.

Forgot totally about this one. Yep....stupid, stupid, stupid. Our move to TRADE the pick that was originally used on George was actually a very good one.

No it's not. If you still hold out hope for the pick up then that's fine but how about not being an *sshat due to a differing opinion. If you'd read my post instead of flipping otu because your opinion was different you would have read where I said moves like Petrino don't qualify to me because they helped us get to where we are with TD, Smitty, etc. Jamaal is up there, but draft picks are often hit or miss. EVERY team in the league missed on a 1st rounder within the past 5-8 years. TJ had productive seasons for us...the worst? Hardly. Lelie...we acquired him in the TJ trade after getting Norwood. Hardly expensive enough to qualify as the worst in my eyes. Von Hutchins? Seriously doubt we broke the bank for a FA pick up like him in '08. Outside of the Price & Hartwell signing most of those moves were hardly costly enough in what we paid or gave up to even qualify and as bad as Peerless was I'd still say he contributed more than Ray has at this stage. Ray Edwards got a $30 million contract and I doubt he hits 5+ sacks next season either. Hartwell was awful but at least at one point he blew out his achilles.

I can't believe you just defended The Petrino hiring to make your lousy point. Stay off the bath salts.

I can't believe you just defended The Petrino hiring to make your lousy point. Stay off the bath salts.

Are you really that dense? You do realize the point being made by myself (and that others have made before) in that the fiasco that was the 2007 season...including the hiring of Petrino only for him to quit before the season ended lead to the hiring of TD & Smitty, drafting of Matt Ryan and had us in the playoffs THE NEXT SEASON don't you?

Maybe you are...