Dragon's Dogma

If anyone is a little interested in this game, I would recommend picking it up... and I should throw myself in that group as well. Capcom has pretty much pinned the future of the company on this game. If this game flops, Capcom is just gonna put out Resident Evil and Street Fighter games and try to milk other sequels. With their sales declining and no real establishment of any new franchises, they've put all their eggs in this basket. There was a pretty good article a few months back in Game Informer about it.

If anyone is a little interested in this game, I would recommend picking it up... and I should throw myself in that group as well. Capcom has pretty much pinned the future of the company on this game. If this game flops, Capcom is just gonna put out Resident Evil and Street Fighter games and try to milk other sequels. With their sales declining and no real establishment of any new franchises, they've put all their eggs in this basket. There was a pretty good article a few months back in Game Informer about it.

I'll probably get it next month or so or wait until price drops more.

I was skeptical about this game just from the promos I've seen (it reminded me of a game version of the movie Dragonheart while watching yhem), but I'll give it a chance. Read a review and capcom might actually be on to something here, it will just need more work if they plan to continue on with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought it earlier this week...don't really enjoy it for some reason. It's extremely tedious and feels like you are getting nowhere during fights. Maybe the beginning just sucks, but it has disappointed me thus far. Hopefully that will change as the game progresses.

I was going to pick up it last week, but found out that PSN was giving away a few games for free. So I have been playing Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown almost everyday.

Yeah that was pretty awesome... I spent $18 or something on a PS+ 3 month subscription and got like $200 worth of games for it. Nice one.

Wait, what?

Can't remember all of them, but Sony put up a bunch of games completely free for PS+ members. Infamous 2, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, VirtuaFighter 5, several others... full game downloads for free, good for as long as your premium membership lasts. Essentially more than $200 worth of games for like $5 a month if you sign up for a year. I just did the 3 month trial myself.

They should be coming out with more periodically if I remember correctly from the article I read in Game Informer. The former head of PS Home is now the head guy for PSN overall and he's big on increasing the presence of full games on PSN.

Can't remember all of them, but Sony put up a bunch of games completely free for PS+ members. Infamous 2, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, VirtuaFighter 5, several others... full game downloads for free, good for as long as your premium membership lasts. Essentially more than $200 worth of games for like $5 a month if you sign up for a year. I just did the 3 month trial myself.

They should be coming out with more periodically if I remember correctly from the article I read in Game Informer. The former head of PS Home is now the head guy for PSN overall and he's big on increasing the presence of full games on PSN.

I downloaded WArhammer 40K and Virtua Fighter 5.

Warhammer is an awesome game. I pleasantly surprised and the multiplayer is pretty good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic... this game is awesome! I've been playing the heck out of it the last week or so and like I said, it's awesome... There are a lot of really cool ideas coming into play here (the pawn system where you hire mercenaries more or less is pretty cool) and the combat is a lot of fun. The item enhancing/progressing is really cool and it actually pays to pick up every little piece of loot, no matter how insignificant it seems because it could be the material you need to get your weapon up a level. The graphics are nice (except when you talk to an NPC and they look like a PS2 rendering wobbling their heads back and forth as they "talk" to you - I use "talk" loosely as they rarely move their lips in sync to what their saying, if at all).

The world seems absolutely enormous and there are plenty of scraps with some really cool looking monsters to be had. It's definitely a tough, challenging game and like ATLBrave said, it can be a tedious (especially without a fast travel system you're doing a lot of running back and forth from place to place - but luckily there is plenty of loot to be had and a ton of treasure chests randomly spread throughout the game world).

Building your character skills/vocation is also pretty cool and I love that they give you the option to change classes at the inns (so you can max out the Strider class and get the enhancements available and apply them to a new class such as a Warrior).

As you can tell, I love this game and give it the highest recommendation to anyone who likes Fantasy Open World RPG's...

Back on topic... this game is awesome! I've been playing the heck out of it the last week or so and like I said, it's awesome... There are a lot of really cool ideas coming into play here (the pawn system where you hire mercenaries more or less is pretty cool) and the combat is a lot of fun. The item enhancing/progressing is really cool and it actually pays to pick up every little piece of loot, no matter how insignificant it seems because it could be the material you need to get your weapon up a level. The graphics are nice (except when you talk to an NPC and they look like a PS2 rendering wobbling their heads back and forth as they "talk" to you - I use "talk" loosely as they rarely move their lips in sync to what their saying, if at all).

The world seems absolutely enormous and there are plenty of scraps with some really cool looking monsters to be had. It's definitely a tough, challenging game and like ATLBrave said, it can be a tedious (especially without a fast travel system you're doing a lot of running back and forth from place to place - but luckily there is plenty of loot to be had and a ton of treasure chests randomly spread throughout the game world).

Building your character skills/vocation is also pretty cool and I love that they give you the option to change classes at the inns (so you can max out the Strider class and get the enhancements available and apply them to a new class such as a Warrior).

As you can tell, I love this game and give it the highest recommendation to anyone who likes Fantasy Open World RPG's...

I think I was just never able to figure it out. I'm sure there was depth to leveling, but it seemed extremely linear to me. I really wanted to like it, just something that kept me from doing so.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I went and got a 5 day rental on this, been playing it quite a bit. Loving it so far... they don't hold your hand much, I'm really enjoying the difficulty level early in the game. Challenging in areas, some enemies are impossible right now, but not annoyingly so.

Pawns are a little annoying sometimes with their dialog, but overall a lot more useful than not.

Dragon's Dogma and Amalur seem to get a whole ton of comparison. Both are pretty dang solid imo, though DD is probably darker and a little more mature in its atmosphere/presentation. Amalur is like Fable on steroids... DD is probably more of a happy medium between Skyrim and Fable.