Depth Chart: Updated After First Ota Session

67camaro

FLOWERY BRANCH — A lot of attention was paid to the offensive line this offseason, but when the Falcons lined up for their first OTA practice, the line remained intact.

However, coach Mike Smith has promised competition across the board and the offensive line, under the direction of new offensive line coach Pat Hill, will be closely monitored.

Sam Baker was at left tackle and Garrett Reynolds at right guard along the starting offensive line during drills Tuesday. Tyson Clabo (right tackle), Todd McClure (center) and Justin Blaylock (left guard) rounded out the unit.

The second line consisted of Andrew Jackson (RT), Vince Manuwai (RG), Joe Hawley ©, Mike Johnson (LG) and Will Svitek (LT).

On the third line were Peter Konz (RG), Tyler Horn ©, Phillip Manley (LG) and Bryce Harris (LT). Third-round draft pick Lamar Holmes did not participate because of broken toes on his left foot. He watched drills while wearing a walking boot. Holmes also missed rookie camp earlier this month with the injury.

Lofa Tatupu worked with the first-team defense at middle linebacker.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/05/30/depth-chart-updated-after-first-ota-session/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

I understand keeping most of the guys first string, and letting others have to beat them out. But I think Garrett Reynolds showed he can't hold up at RG, so they should have Hawley, Johnson, or Manuwai starting there. No use in putting someone out there who has shown he can't do the job.

Possible error

TE Branson and DT Powell arenot on the team. Even though their names are still on the roster.

The 3 tryouts that were signed

TE White

WR Stafford

FB Meisner

weren't on this depth chart in it's earlier version I see they have been added.

Edited by delaigle

I understand keeping most of the guys first string, and letting others have to beat them out. But I think Garrett Reynolds showed he can't hold up at RG, so they should have Hawley, Johnson, or Manuwai starting there. No use in putting someone out there who has shown he can't do the job.

Reynolds struggled in 2011. This is 2012 - new coach, new schemes, new personnel. It's early days. Things will settle out.

It just seems right to use your old first string at the beginning of practice season. You wouldn't expect to see fresh faces immediately, especially with the linemen. Things will change as the stars begin to shine.

Reynolds struggled in 2011. This is 2012 - new coach, new schemes, new personnel. It's early days. Things will settle out.

Reynolds is a Tackle they keep trying to get him playing guard.

He played 4 games at RG in 09 (Rookie) when Dahl was hurt and did well then --but did not do well at RG in 2011. I'm not sure if he has ever played a down at his natural RT position

Acccording to this depth chart they are also moving Jackson from Guard to tackle.

Also interesting they have L. Brown as a TE. I know he played WR and RB in college but did he play any TE?

Edited by delaigle

Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

Our first pick is on the third line?

Of one of the worst OL personnel groups in the league here.

The king has no clothes.

"TD" is has made his last offensive, and it has failed.

The king has no clothes.

Yep, cuz on May 30th everything is set in stone!

The king has no clothes.

You're overreacting! dry.png

They do it like this every year going into Training Camp, all rookies are buried on the depth chart. Julio Jones got the same treatment last year.

Possible error

TE Branson and DT Powell arenot on the team. Even though their names are still on the roster.

The 3 tryouts that were signed

TE White

WR Stafford

FB Meisner

weren't on this depth chart in it's earlier version I see they have been added.

Yeah, I'm currently having a comment disagreement on Falcoholic with someone who is convinced that Branson is still on the roster and this will be his breakout year. He's using this depth chart and AF.com as his evidence, but I don't have an article where it explicitly states that he isn't on the team anymore. I suppose I could just ask Branson via twitter but I don't have twitter. Jay Adams might also know if I could find him on the board.

Ledbetter needs to fire his photographer or himself if he took/submitted that blurry picture...Polaroid Instamatic circa 1983?

Lamar Holmes in a boot is not making me feel good about the LT situation/competition...Holmes is at least hope.

Seems to me that the lesser of the evils at that position will win out...nothing competitive about it.

Yeah, I'm currently having a comment disagreement on Falcoholic with someone who is convinced that Branson is still on the roster and this will be his breakout year. He's using this depth chart and AF.com as his evidence, but I don't have an article where it explicitly states that he isn't on the team anymore. I suppose I could just ask Branson via twitter but I don't have twitter. Jay Adams might also know if I could find him on the board.

At AF.com check the "official Transactions" under NEWS

all the transactions for this year, neither Branson or Powell were re-signed

All other PS players were re-signed in Jan. Even Jackson who was a draft pick but "cut" and re-signed to the PS had to be re-signed in Jan. I guess it's their type of "futures" contract.

Also I think NFL.com does show them on the roster but Rotoworld does not.

Edited by delaigle

The king has no clothes.

NOTE the TITLE

(DOL’s Revised) UNOFFICIAL OFFSEASON

DEPTH CHART

This was done by the AJC not the Falcons

Edited by delaigle

Ledbetter needs to fire his photographer or himself if he took/submitted that blurry picture...Polaroid Instamatic circa 1983?

Lamar Holmes in a boot is not making me feel good about the LT situation/competition...Holmes is at least hope.

Seems to me that the lesser of the evils at that position will win out...nothing competitive about it.

Yeah I think it would be very unwise of us not to bring in another LT for competition. I'm not real happy about hearing Holmes is still out... so we drafted a super raw prospect too early knowing that he had an injury. I have a bad feeling that these broken toes are going to linger into the season. Nothing worse than a foot problems on a 320 pound guy - look at Yao Ming he perpetually had foot problems being a big guy... hopefully this is something that clears up and does not become a lingering issue.

Yeah I think it would be very unwise of us not to bring in another LT for competition.

+1 If Smitty is serious about competition then you need someone to push the envelope if LH can't recover soon.

Svitek amounts to a healthy Baker and neither cut the mustard in my eyes.

Falcons could start 6-0/5-1 and Baker/Svitek could look good, until they meet a solid defensive line...then what?

Both, especially short-armed Baker, turn into LT on wheels.

wait until cap casualties, we will definitely upgrade the LT depth.

Cut Garrett Reynolds for mid tier LT depth.. I think so

There are 11 (+3 UDFA) O-linemen now

They normally keep just 9 on the 53 man roster.

So 2 are getting cut without replacements.

There are 11 (+3 UDFA) O-linemen now

They normally keep just 9 on the 53 man roster.

So 2 are getting cut without replacements.

based on last seasons' performance, i'd be happy to see McClure and a few other go. Hawley isn't there yet, but people forget that we have the #1 rated center from college on our 53 now. Let the boy show us what a proper Center can do. (sorry mud duck, you were awesome, just not anymore.)

+1 If Smitty is serious about competition then you need someone to push the envelope if LH can't recover soon.

Svitek amounts to a healthy Baker and neither cut the mustard in my eyes.

Falcons could start 6-0/5-1 and Baker/Svitek could look good, until they meet a solid defensive line...then what?

Both, especially short-armed Baker, turn into LT on wheels.

You won't have to wait 6 weeks to find that out, Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil come to the dome week 2.