Bartkowski On Matt Ryan

big_D

Steve talked about this being Ryans break out year in his opinion this AM on the Zone. He feels that as long as the O line gives him the needed protection that has been lacking, there is no reason Ryan won't earn elite status next season. It would be great as a ton of eyes will be watching him.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fibonacci

Ryan has done very well when the pocket did not collapse. this is not a make or break season for matt ryan.

Like I said in another thread.

- put newton, brees, manning, etc. with our line and watch them not do as well as Ryan has. and I bet on that one.

- really go look at how well the line was for the eagles, yet vick did worse the Ryan last year.

----matt threw for an average of 10 yards more then vick.

----vick threw an average of 1.3 TD's, while Ryan threw 1.8 a game.

----vick 14 INT in 13 games....Ryan 12 INT in 16 games

----sure vick beat out ryan on an average of rushing of 2.3 vs vicks 7.8 (but Ryan got 2 TD rushing, while vick only got one)

----but vick had 10 fumbles in 13 games, while ryan had 5

----also Ryans completion was better.

any questions???

Matt Ryan is ridiculously underrated.

Edit: vick is going to do worse this season because the lost a great line player to FA and did not replace him with a good player....then there very good LT is out for the season with his injury. (yes they replaced him with a decent LT....but nothing like what they had).

Ryan has done very well when the pocket did not collapse. this is not a make or break season for matt ryan.

Like I said in another thread.

- put newton, brees, manning, etc. with our line and watch them not do as well as Ryan has. and I bet on that one.

- really go look at how well the line was for the eagles, yet vick did worse the Ryan last year.

----matt threw for an average of 10 yards more then vick.

----vick threw an average of 1.3 TD's, while Ryan threw 1.8 a game.

----vick 14 INT in 13 games....Ryan 12 INT in 16 games

----sure vick beat out ryan on an average of rushing of 2.3 vs vicks 7.8 (but Ryan got 2 TD rushing, while vick only got one)

----but vick had 10 fumbles in 13 games, while ryan had 5

----also Ryans completion was better.

any questions???

Matt Ryan is ridiculously underrated.

Edit: vick is going to do worse this season because the lost a great line player to FA and did not replace him with a good player....then there very good LT is out for the season with his injury. (yes they replaced him with a decent LT....but nothing like what they had).

Yeah I gotta question?

You ain't over Vick yet? Jeez son. Seek help.

By the way wasn't PHI's pass protection worse than ATL's last year? PFF says so.

Not that huge

NE oline allowed 173 pressures Brady 611 pass attempts

ATL oline allowed 171 pressures in Ryan 566 pass attempts

And how quickly did the pressure get there? If you get pressured after 4 seconds, not the Oline's fault. If Brady is getting pressure because he's waiting for plays to develop as opposed to Ryan getting immediate pressure because his line has collapsed; then they aren't the same stat at all.

Steve is just telling us what we already know. If you give any NFL Qb time they can make you pay. Every year these people say if Ryan does this, if Ryan does that, if Ryan hit the weight room he will become elite. I personally don't think Ryan will become this so called elite, I just don't think it is there. I won't be holding my breath waiting for this elite status, but he don't have to be elite to win playoff games and get us that Lombardi. Ryan just needs to go out and get it done.

And how quickly did the pressure get there? If you get pressured after 4 seconds, not the Oline's fault. If Brady is getting pressure because he's waiting for plays to develop as opposed to Ryan getting immediate pressure because his line has collapsed; then they aren't the same stat at all.

Its hard to say . You would have to look at every pressure . I dont think it would be fair to say all of Brady QB pressure is him holding onto the ball just like I cant honestly say our oline collasped 171 times and none I could put on Matt Ryan

Yeah I gotta question?

By the way wasn't PHI's pass protection worse than ATL's last year? PFF says so.

Funny how Vick is always brought into these posts when no one really cares about Vick and the Eagles. But the haters and Lovers of Ryan gotta use him as a sort of litmus test. Many other QB's out there besides him

Its hard to say . You would have to look at every pressure . I dont think it would be fair to say all of Brady QB pressure is him holding onto the ball just like I cant honestly say our oline collasped 171 times and none I could put on Matt Ryan

And the point is, you don't know, so you don't know if the stats are comparable or not. You know perfectly well that Ryan had pressure in his face immediately too many times when he dropped back.

If 30 of those pressures are Brady holding onto the ball to let a play develop and 30 of those pressures are Ryan getting killed as soon as he drops back, those numbers may look the same, but are measuring two entirely different things.

Guest Fibonacci

Yeah I gotta question?

vick being a falcon, yes I am over that. but vick is still called an elite player who had a great line. the only time that line looked to fail is when vick did a rushing play and rolled out.

So I was trying to break down a scenario, that is all. because if you reread my post, I started it by saying how none of those elite players could do better then Ryan with the falcons line.

Go look at film when our line does not fail, and you will see an elite matt ryan.

Guest Fibonacci

Funny how Vick is always brought into these posts when no one really cares about Vick and the Eagles. But the haters and Lovers of Ryan gotta use him as a sort of litmus test. Many other QB's out there besides him

just for a tid bit I mention vick at the end and broke it down because eagles had a better line then the falcons did yet vick looked worse then Ryan who had a worse line. Also I talked at first of manning, brees, newton

Falcondae

If you read Under Pressure each week, you know that for three years it’s been an interest (or you could say an obsession) of mine to log the time of each and every sack in the NFL. However, in those three years, I’d never asked maybe the most significant question: How much does a quarterback’s tendency to hold the ball play a part in his sack rate?

Anecdotally, it would seem to play a significant part. Ben Roethlisberger tries to buy time by holding the ball until receivers get open, and his sack rate is consistently among the league’s worst. Jay Cutler plays in an offense that has often asked him to wait for a receiver to get open downfield, and arguably no one has been more battered because of it.

On the other end of the spectrum, Drew Brees gets the ball out as quick as anyone not named Peyton Manning and he usually has one of the lowest sack rates in the game.

It simply makes sense that if a quarterback takes longer to get rid of the ball, defenders are more likely to be spiking him into the turf. But to try to dig a little deeper, I compiled the stats over the past three years for the 17 quarterbacks who qualified for the NFL passer rankings in all three years (plus Tony Romo, who narrowly missed qualifying in 2010).

Over a one-year span, the correlation between median sack time and sack rate is .270. The correlation between average sack time and sack rate is .273 -- a pretty insignificant result. But if you examine the same correlations over a three-year span, they jump to .487 (median sack time) and .492 (average sack time).

Looking at the standard deviation also yields less than overwhelming results.

Name Std Dev

of Sack Rate StdDev

of Avg Time

Matt Cassel 1.21% 0.416

Mark Sanchez 0.81% 0.404

Eli Manning 1.36% 0.379

Josh Freeman 1.23% 0.321

Drew Brees 0.08% 0.265

Jay Cutler 2.65% 0.265

Matt Schaub 0.60% 0.265

Philip Rivers 0.84% 0.252

Joe Flacco 1.51% 0.208

Alex Smith 1.40% 0.200

Ben Roethlisberger 0.37% 0.200

Tony Romo 1.33% 0.173

Matt Hasselbeck 1.52% 0.173

Tom Brady 1.09% 0.153

Matt Ryan 0.62% 0.153

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.52% 0.153

Carson Palmer 1.37% 0.153

Aaron Rodgers 1.25% 0.100

Grand Total 1.64% 0.277

Again, this will always be limited by the sample size. Even over a three-year span, we’re talking about 1,418 sacks -- less than the number of pass attempts you would see from three teams over the course of a season. As we continue to add data, we’re getting a better and better look at how much a quarterback can be blamed for a high sack rate, and how much he’s just a victim of the offense he plays in.

Here’s the data for all 18 quarterbacks, divided by year and ranked in order of sack rate. The 2011 sack stats are updated through Week 12. Thanks to fellow Outsider Danny Tuccitto for help with the stats.

Look at the avg time between Brady and Ryan

Year Player Team Att Sacks Total Attempts Sack Rate Median Avg Time

OVERALL Jay Cutler CHI 1301 110 1411 7.80% 2.80 3.1

OVERALL Ben Roethlisberger PIT 1383 114 1499 7.74% 3.00 3.3

OVERALL Alex Smith SF 1035 77 1116 7.26% 2.70 2.9

OVERALL Aaron Rodgers GB 1424 109 1534 7.17% 2.80 3.1

OVERALL Matt Cassel KC 1212 89 1302 6.91% 2.90 3.3

OVERALL Joe Flacco BAL 1422 98 1520 6.45% 3.05 3.3

OVERALL Philip Rivers SD 1474 91 1565 5.81% 2.80 3.1

OVERALL Mark Sanchez NYJ 1276 78 1354 5.76% 2.95 3.1

OVERALL Matt Hasselbeck TEN 1328 75 1404 5.41% 2.50 2.7

OVERALL Josh Freeman TB 1175 66 1241 5.32% 2.80 3.2

OVERALL Tony Romo DAL 1185 61 1251 5.28% 2.80 3.0

OVERALL Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 1083 59 1143 5.25% 2.80 2.9

OVERALL Carson Palmer OAK 1229 63 1294 5.02% 2.60 2.7

OVERALL Matt Schaub HOU 1449 73 1522 4.80% 2.90 3.1

OVERALL Eli Manning NYG 1490 66 1557 4.54% 2.70 2.7

OVERALL Matt Ryan ATL 1463 64 1527 4.19% 2.75 3.0

OVERALL Tom Brady NE 1516 61 1578 3.93% 2.70 3.1

OVERALL Drew Brees NO 1668 64 1734 3.81% 2.55 2.8

Guest Fibonacci

anyone claiming philly has a better oline than us is on crack son. You need to watch football outside of atlanta once in a while.

me watch football? LOL.

go watch it and see what I mean. they had hands down a better LT then us. the pocket did not collapse as much. the only reason vick got sacked was because he ran our of the pocket. if they had a guy stay in pocket he will do great....heck go talk to Kevin Kolb. Kevin got an upgrade of the best WR, yet he blew balls. while Kevin was with eagles, he excelled and looked great.

so yeah maybe you should take your own advice and go watch football outside of Atlanta.

anyone claiming philly has a better oline than us is on crack son. You need to watch football outside of atlanta once in a while.

Sure Sam Baker beats out Jason Peters every time, PHI O line is filled with quality. Sacks tell only part of the story, QB hits need to be included as well because QB hit is one step away from being a sack. Falcons OL gave up 7th most QB hits last year. Watch the houston game tape, Ryan was hit 10 times in the game, thats like getting hit once in 4 pass attempts.

Steve talked about this being Ryans break out year in his opinion this AM on the Zone. He feels that IF the O line gives him the needed protection that has been lacking, there is no reason Ryan won't earn elite status next season. It would be great as a ton of eyes will be watching him.

Key word.

me watch football? LOL.

go watch it and see what I mean. they had hands down a better LT then us. the pocket did not collapse as much. the only reason vick got sacked was because he ran our of the pocket. if they had a guy stay in pocket he will do great....heck go talk to Kevin Kolb. Kevin got an upgrade of the best WR, yet he blew balls. while Kevin was with eagles, he excelled and looked great.

so yeah maybe you should take your own advice and go watch football outside of Atlanta.

Lol the sad part is you can look at our game against philly and clearly see who has the better line. sad you have to promote falsehoods to push your agenda.

Sure Sam Baker beats out Jason Peters every time, PHI O line is filled with quality. Sacks tell only part of the story, QB hits need to be included as well because QB hit is one step away from being a sack. Falcons OL gave up 7th most QB hits last year. Watch the houston game tape, Ryan was hit 10 times in the game, thats like getting hit once in 4 pass attempts.

Yall grossly exaggerate the quality of other teams lines. PatheTic. Rodgers vick cutler and several other qbs better than ryan play with similar or worse lines. Huggers gonna hug.

vick being a falcon, yes I am over that. but vick is still called an elite player who had a great line. the only time that line looked to fail is when vick did a rushing play and rolled out.

So I was trying to break down a scenario, that is all. because if you reread my post, I started it by saying how none of those elite players could do better then Ryan with the falcons line.

Go look at film when our line does not fail, and you will see an elite matt ryan.

Who said Vick is elite? I missed that post.

If you want to compare Ryan to elite QBs shouldn't you be comparing him to Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton?

Or at the minimum Eli, Big Ben or Rivers.

Search your feelings bro. You still got Vick issues.