Cam: "i Was A Bad Teammate Last Season".

http://www.nfl.com/n...ate-last-season

Have to admire a qb that knows his own flaws and strives to improve. I think the kid gets a "C" on his chest this year. The other players, the coaching staff, have raved about the progress he has made.

A more focused Cam ..................is scary.

Good luck poking holes in what Cam Newton did last season.

As a rookie, the young quarterback transformed Carolina's offense almost single-handedly and turned the Panthers into a team nobody wanted to deal with down the stretch. There's not much room for critique, but Newton has called out one aspect of his game from 2011:

"I was very immature," Newton told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports. "I'll be the first one to tell you, the pouting and the moping, I kind of overdid it. I know that. I was a bad teammate. I shut off to some people who gave unbelievable effort. ... That's where I have to mature."

Honestly, this feels a tad forced. Anybody who sat through the horror show of Carolina's offense in 2010 isn't losing sleep over Newton's sometimes-fiery demeanor.

As Cole points out, Newton allowed mistakes to eat at him last season. A little cold-blooded calm wouldn't hurt on that front, but when he called out teammates and pointed to a losing culture in the locker room, Newton was simply exerting his will and clarifying what he expects from those around him.

Newton will mature on and off the field, a scary notion for the NFC South. Asking him to become someone he isn't won't work. Cam is Cam, and that's what we grew to appreciate last season. Some natural growth will go a long way toward making him a complete franchise passer, but asking him to change would be a mistake.

Edited by pox 08
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, the first step is admitting you were wrong. Now make it right this year.

Amen.

I want him to forget his mistakes like Delhomme used to do (prior to his meltdown).

I don't want him to change his overall attitude though. I liked that he looked around and saw a franchise full of front office big wigs and players that were content with losing. It irked him that losing didn't eat at them the way it ate at him. After he challenged them, they went 4-2 down the stretch. People can claiim that the Panthers only beat losing teams and the texans, but, before that, they were losing to the likes of the Vikings. They were the team that the even sh1ttier teams were beating on.

Maybe I missed something in regards to his attitude...but I don't think so.

Many people are Cam crazy since last year after he set the world on fire out of the gates and went on to a great rookie year.

I was impressed by his play of course, but I remember being more impressed with his attitude. I remember thinking more than once 'this guy gets it'

I think this is another example of him 'getting it'. Here he is publicly criticizing himself....for something most wouldn't feel as a big deal (I don't recall any negative press about his attitude). He's being his own worst critc as a QB, teammate, and leader. That will pay dividends if he's genuine...and I believe he is.

Maybe I missed something in regards to his attitude...but I don't think so.

Many people are Cam crazy since last year after he set the world on fire out of the gates and went on to a great rookie year.

I was impressed by his play of course, but I remember being more impressed with his attitude. I remember thinking more than once 'this guy gets it'

I think this is another example of him 'getting it'. Here he is publicly criticizing himself....for something most wouldn't feel as a big deal (I don't recall any negative press about his attitude). He's being his own worst critc as a QB, teammate, and leader. That will pay dividends if he's genuine...and I believe he is.

Most call him arrogant.. I think he's humble..... an arrogant qb will never admit that they have a lot of things to work on.

Most call him arrogant.. I think he's humble..... an arrogant qb will never admit that they have a lot of things to work on.

There's a substantial difference between confidence and arrogance. You need the supreme confidence to be a successful QB.

I remember him being sort of ticked off after a game last year that he put up great numbers. He responded to one question with something like 'no I'm not happy, we didn't win the game'.

And arrogant player wouldn't be pointing one finger at himself. An arrogant player would be pointing his blame finger in some other direction (and not realizing that when he points at someone, three fingers are pointing back at himself). That's something T.O. never figured out

There's a substantial difference between confidence and arrogance. You need the supreme confidence to be a successful QB.

I remember him being sort of ticked off after a game last year that he put up great numbers. He responded to one question with something like 'no I'm not happy, we didn't win the game'.

And arrogant player wouldn't be pointing one finger at himself. An arrogant player would be pointing his blame finger in some other direction (and not realizing that when he points at someone, three fingers are pointing back at himself). That's something T.O. never figured out

I was thinking of TO all through your post, lol.

Have to admire a qb that knows his own flaws and strives to improve. I think the kid gets a "C" on his chest this year. The other players, the coaching staff, have raved about the progress he has made.

When you all can win more than 6 games with "Super C" as your quarterback, I might agree.

When you all can win more than 6 games with "Super C" as your quarterback, I might agree.

True.. hypothetical opinions matter not unless the Panthers can win more than 6 games..

Should we say that a more focused Cam would be even scarier, to the Bucs, then? j/k.

Edited by pox 08

Oh. Sorry I Thought we were only allowed to talk falcons around here.

And yeah Cam has a cannon as a matter of fact I'm more confident about the game in Atlanta than the game in Carolina this season.

The only game that worries me is the Saints. I respect the Panthers, but I think we can beat them. Tampa Bay may be a tough match up with Jackson.

******, Im talking Cowboys again.

FALCONS, FALCONS, FALCONS, FALCONS, FALCONS. FOWLCLOWNS!

Edited by Enlightened29

The only game that worries me is the Saints. I respect the Panthers, but I think we can beat them. Tampa Bay may be a tough match up with Jackson.

******, Im talking Cowboys again.

FALCONS, FALCONS, FALCONS, FALCONS, FALCONS. FOWLCLOWNS!

you should be more concerned about the Panthers. they were devastated by injuries last year

you should be more concerned about the Panthers. they were devastated by injuries last year

Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, and Dez/Romo played hurt....we know about being injured too. I didnt say wed kill them, Im just more concerned with NO than the other 3.

Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, and Dez/Romo played hurt....we know about being injured too. I didnt say wed kill them, Im just more concerned with NO than the other 3.

I think the Saints are better too, but I just have a feeling about Carolina.

****, even Tampa looked good early before the wheels came off and they have added some good pieces and got rid of Raheem. I just feel like they are still a year or two away

I think the Saints are better too, but I just have a feeling about Carolina.

****, even Tampa looked good early before the wheels came off and they have added some good pieces and got rid of Raheem. I just feel like they are still a year or two away

I cant wait til the first preseason game...I havent been this excited in years. Garrett is really putting his stamp on this team and I wanna see how we look.

You would be dumb to overlook them. Look at the Souths history and its riddled with from worst to first teams. The South has been dangerous with the changing of power since its creations. It only takes a couple injuries to certain people to devastate a team and every team has injuries. But The Bucs took it to the saints when no one could last season. The Panthers would shoot out with anyone.

I do think Cam was immature and i always thought it you could get him mad (you could see his demeanor change on the sidelines when they show him) by the 4th Q he would mentally make mistakes and make some mistakes. You see some QB`s who look stressed like Rivers. But Most of the time he could back it up.

But Cam was a rookie and he will grow. Maybe even shake some hands when he loses games.

Edited by danight

You would be dumb to overlook them. Look at the Souths history and its riddled with from worst to first teams. The South has been dangerous with the changing of power since its creations. It only takes a couple injuries to certain people to devastate a team and every team has injuries. But The Bucs took it to the saints when no one could last season. The Panthers would shoot out with anyone.

I do think Cam was immature and i always thought it you could get him mad (you could see his demeanor change on the sidelines when they show him) by the 4th Q he would mentally make mistakes and make some mistakes. You see some QB`s who look stressed like Rivers. But Most of the time he could back it up.

But Cam was a rookie and he will grow. Maybe even shake some hands when he loses games.

Overlooking and respecting another team more is two different things. I think well win a slug fest with Carolina. Remember, we do have Connor, not that that is a HUGE difference, but he'll help in preparation to a degree. I think we could win without him though. Just saying we do have his knowledge of their game.

Edited by Enlightened29

True.. hypothetical opinions matter not unless the Panthers can win more than 6 games..

Should we say that a more focused Cam would be even scarier, to the Bucs, then? j/k.

Maybe? Since he is already down 2-0 to Ice, and Ice has rededicated himself to the gym, film room and field...Now that is scary!

alley-baggett-043.gif

Maybe? Since he is already down 2-0 to Ice, and Ice has rededicated himself to the gym, film room and field...Now that is scary!

*Sigh*...bringing up Ryan in a thread about Cam again I see...hmmmm...I guess as long as its not R***....rolleyes.gif

RC DS at its finest...:D

Edited by Enlightened29