Good Problem To Have

theProf

Good Problem to Have

By:Daniel Cox | May 29th, 2012

The Mike Nolan defensive era in Atlanta will provide a variety of change for the Falcons. Most notable will be the use of three cornerbacks on the field frequently. Early on during the OTAs process, it appears that Dunta Robinson is the primary candidate to move inside as the nickel corner.

The offseason brought about two important additions for the Falcons. By way of those additions comes some changes as well.

New defensive coordinator Mike Nolan walks into Atlanta carrying a reputation as one of the best defensive minds in the game. Asante Samuel walks into Atlanta’s secondary as one of the best defensive corners in the game.

The addition of Nolan means more nickel packages, a system employing five defensive backs on the field to better defend the pass. The addition of Samuel gives the Falcons three cornerbacks that are capable of starting on any team in the league.

It’s a great problem to have and the discussion of who will move inside and how Atlanta’s big three cornerback trio (Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes in addition to Samuel) will work together has run rampant through the Falcons fan base.

It’s still early, but it appears Robinson will play in the inside during nickel packages and still remain on the outside at times when two corners are on the field. Robinson said on Tuesday during Atlanta’s opening OTA practice that he would slide inside on “certain downs.”

Of the three, Robinson has the most experience playing inside and it’s actually a role he embraces and has wanted to do more of since joining the Falcons in 2010. During his first six years in the league with Houston, he played as the nickel corner frequently.

“I would slide inside and DeMarcus Faggins would play outside,” Robinson said. “It’d give me a chance to do a lot of different things inside. It’s something I’ve been asking to do around here, but personnel reasons, they wanted to keep me outside. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun. I’m back at home. I’ve made a lot plays inside so I’m excited about going back in there.”

Robinson describes Samuel as a playmaker and welcomes that kind of talent to his secondary openly. With all three on the field he sees a secondary that will make offenses have to be very selective about how they attack. The variety of looks that the three corners can help give the Falcons defense is something Robinson says is a trademark of a Nolan defense.

The versatility is also something Robinson enjoys. As a player that likes to float around the field, moving inside and outside on different downs is something the corner says he’ll enjoy. Also, he loves the physicality of playing inside as opposed to outside and Robinson’s physical play is one of his own trademarks.

“Outside you’re kind of a finesse player,” he said. “When you move inside, that’s where the action is, where all the big guys (are). It’s kind of like you’re a small linebacker on the inside. It’s very different.”

Published 03 hours ago hours ago by Daniel Cox.

Don't write off Atlanta CB Dunta Robinson

May 29 3:14 PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The early indications are that Atlanta cornerback Dunta Robinson will be sliding inside at times, but that doesn’t mean he’ll be sliding off the field.

Almost immediately after taking the job, new Atlanta defensive coordinator Mike Nolan made it known that he wanted to have three starting-caliber cornerbacks. It took some time, but just before the NFL draft, the Falcons traded for Asante Samuel.

Pair him with Brent Grimes and Robinson, and Nolan has exactly what he wants. But that has a lot of Atlanta fans speculating about who will be the odd man out. I think that’s the wrong question to ask because I don’t think there’s an answer.

In Nolan’s system, all three cornerbacks will play extensively. It really doesn’t matter who starts and who doesn’t. Nolan realizes the NFL has become a passing league and I’m pretty sure the Falcons will be lining up in their nickel package more often than not.

All that emerged from Tuesday’s media session is that the Falcons are working with Robinson sliding inside in nickel situations. It’s a job he sometimes filled when he was with Houston and it’s a role he wants.

“I would slide inside and DeMarcus Faggins would play outside,” Robinson said. “It’d give me a chance to do a lot of different things inside. It’s something I’ve been asking to do around here, but personnel reasons, they wanted to keep me outside. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun. I’m back at home. I’ve made a lot of plays inside so I’m excited about going back in there.”

But a lot of people are assuming that means Grimes and Samuel will be the starters and Robinson will be nothing more than a situational player. I don’t see that being the case. Just because a guy lines up as your nickel back, doesn’t mean he’s coming in from the sideline. Through the years, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sometimes have slid Ronde Barber from outside to the inside in nickel situations and other teams have done similar things.

There will be plenty of snaps for Robinson, Samuel and Grimes. The Falcons didn’t hesitate to keep Robinson on the field last season. Look back at this post from February that shows Robinson led all NFC South cornerbacks in playing time last season. He was on the field for 97.09 percent of Atlanta’s defensive snaps last season. Grimes, who missed four games with an injury, participated in 69.48 percent of Atlanta’s defensive snaps. The Falcons used Christopher Owens and Kelvin Hayden as their nickel backs last year, but they also had to fill in while Grimes was injured. Owens played 30.22 percent of the snaps, while Hayden was on the field for 21.89 percent.

Samuel participated in 78.5 percent of Philadelphia’s defensive snaps last year while missing two games with an injury.

Robinson might not be on the field for 97 percent of the snaps in 2012, but he definitely isn’t headed for the bench.

our defense led by the secondary. is going to be nasty. theyll for sure get us more than 2 pts if we make the playoffs again. Last year they werent built to carry an anemic offense. Maybe things have changed. On defense anyways. I expect more of the same from the offense unless redman comes in and pulls a kurt warner or tom brady type miracle season.

Guest Gritz

our defense led by the secondary. is going to be nasty. theyll for sure get us more than 2 pts if we make the playoffs again. Last year they werent built to carry an anemic offense. Maybe things have changed. On defense anyways. I expect more of the same from the offense unless redman comes in and pulls a kurt warner or tom brady type miracle season.

Don't you ever get tired of it?

I'm not even trying to flame you. I'm asking a serious question:

Don't you get tired of posting the same thing time after time after time? I mean I think you could potentially be a good poster....but the fact that every single post you make (regardless of the subject of the thread) contains a heavy dose of over the top criticism of Ryan at the end of day just makes you out to be a clown.

Honestly not trying to insult you....just giving my honest take on the situation.

Don't you ever get tired of it?

I'm not even trying to flame you. I'm asking a serious question:

Don't you get tired of posting the same thing time after time after time? I mean I think you could potentially be a good poster....but the fact that every single post you make (regardless of the subject of the thread) contains a heavy dose of over the top criticism of Ryan at the end of day just makes you out to be a clown.

Honestly not trying to insult you....just giving my honest take on the situation.

Thanks for your honest opinion gritz, youre one of the few respectable and intellectually honest posters here so it means a lot coming from you.

Guest Gritz

Thanks for your honest opinion gritz, youre one of the few respectable and intellectually honest posters here so it means a lot coming from you.

Nah, I'm just another anonymous mook on a message board.....

I just think you have more to contribute than that.

I think Dunta said most some teams don't even have one good corner we've got 3. With Nolan at the helm our defense is really gonna wreck havoc on teams this year. With one signing we've turned a weakness into a strength. This is awesome can't wait to see good results in season

I think Dunta said most some teams don't even have one good corner we've got 3. With Nolan at the helm our defense is really gonna wreck havoc on teams this year. With one signing we've turned a weakness into a strength. This is awesome can't wait to see good results in season

If they perform up to potential our pass rush should benefit immensely.