At Least The Braves Didn't Wait Till The End Of The Season To Collapse

lucifersam597

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's much hope for this year anymore. The team looks like they've given up already.

Pitching is ranked 15th in the NL. Hanson has never been that good but he's supposed to be our ace for the future.

The bullpen is a disaster.

No one wants to hit. The Braves thought Heyward would be our leader and carry the team but he isn't even an average MLB player.

We are 4-10 in the division.

We went from 10 games above .500 to only 2 and it's possible we hit .500 by the weekend.

^^^

Pretty much everything you said. Pitching has been hot trash, but the offense was making up for it. Now they are both in the bottom, Venters has become the Braves worst reliever, Medlen can't go an outing without giving up a run or two. Minor is NOT the answer, Delgado is having growing pains (normal), and people are still expecting Heyward to do something slightly above average

.500 isn't possible by the weekend. More than likely a reality

You guys are a ******* joke! Yet you guys have the ******* nerve to jump all over my case for overracting? No. This is overracting, Saying the season is over because we got hit with a ton of injuries and guys getting sick and what have you. Don't jump back on the bandwagon when the Braves start winning again! Because they will start winning again.

You guys are a ******* joke! Yet you guys have the ******* nerve to jump all over my case for overracting? No. This is overracting, Saying the season is over because we got hit with a ton of injuries and guys getting sick and what have you. Don't jump back on the bandwagon when the Braves start winning again! Because they will start winning again.

I don't buy our injury excuses. Chipper is playing well when he's in, but we should expect him to not play a lot of the time anyways.

McCann hasn't been hitting well even when he's played this year. Ross was a capable replacement, and Boscan is only playing for like 4-5 games.

And Freeman is good and losing him hurts.

You still have two great #1 and #2's in the batting order. You still have your best power hitter. Pastornicky has been a good hitter(although horrid on defense), Heyward is supposed to be our guy now (but he doesn't give a ****).

You still have what should be a nice rotation. But Hanson still doesn't live up to the ace status, Delgado has been what everyone should've expected, Huddy has been good outside of a couple of starts, Beachy is the man, and Freddi G continues making the mistake of trotting out Minor for whatever stupid reason. It's time to put Teheran in and let him take his lumps and let Minor get corrected in the minors.

Our team just doesn't care and it's obvious everytime the starters go out and get in trouble and collapse and when lazy players like Heyward bobble balls, and trot to get them, and allow more runs.

Edited by Dharma Initiative

I'm not overreacting. I'm with you on this, but I still say you overreact. :D

Man who pisses in your Cornflakes everyday? You really need to calm down. Nobody's jumping ship. I'm with our team through thick and thin but this is a message board. A place to vent and say whatever ya know? You seem like you take things way to personal IMO.

He's can overreat and curse players and the team. But if anyone else does he's throws a hissyfit.

It's like he can make fun of his little sister, but don't you dare or else!

I can poke fun of my little brother and pick at him and make a fool out of him because he's my brother and I love him but let anyone else do anything to him and they have to deal with me. That's just the way it is!

Man who pisses in your Cornflakes everyday? You really need to calm down. Nobody's jumping ship. I'm with our team through thick and thin but this is a message board. A place to vent and say whatever ya know? You seem like you take things way to personal IMO.

Where did I ever say the season is over? This is a thread proclaming that the season is over. It's clear that this by starting this thread or agreeing with the person that started this thread that you have given up on the season. It's May 29th for crying out loud. There are 100 games left. But the season is over? That's a ******* joke!

Yeah, this thread is a ******* joke. We had a 9 game losing streak in 2010 and still won 90+ games and made the playoffs. Maybe if this were the NBA with an 82 game schedule then it would be worse, but it isn't, and in the grand scheme of things this is an ebb and flow of the season.

I can poke fun of my little brother and pick at him and make a fool out of him because he's my brother and I love him but let anyone else do anything to him and they have to deal with me. That's just the way it is!

Where did I ever say the season is over? This is a thread proclaming that the season is over. It's clear that this by starting this thread or agreeing with the person that started this thread that you have given up on the season. It's May 29th for crying out loud. There are 100 games left. But the season is over? That's a ******* joke!

I never said the season was over either...just that I've seen this act before. I learned a long time ago to temper hopes regarding the Braves. The Falcons and Braves are my all time favorite teams (always will be) but experience and more let downs than I can think of does provide a sense of measured restraint. Believe me I WANT them to prove me wrong more than anything.

Yeah, this thread is a ******* joke. We had a 9 game losing streak in 2010 and still won 90+ games and made the playoffs. Maybe if this were the NBA with an 82 game schedule then it would be worse, but it isn't, and in the grand scheme of things this is an ebb and flow of the season.

Some people act like this losing streak stopped at 8, but it hasn't yet. It could go on longer than 9 for all we know. It's not done until we finally win (which is hopefully tonight)

Guest Gritz

I won't say that the season is over but there are some serious fundamental flaws with this team that aren't related to the recent spate of injuries and illnesses.

Even a couple of weeks ago when the Braves were beating the likes of the Dodgers, Rays and Cardinals they were just outscoring people. The starting pitching and relief work still wasn't stellar.

Right now this team is leaning and relying on a very fragile 40 year old player for both real offense and leadership......and I doubt seriously if they have a coherent, realistic plan for any type of realistic replacement when he's gone for good.

I won't say that the season is over but there are some serious fundamental flaws with this team that aren't related to the recent spate of injuries and illnesses.

Even a couple of weeks ago when the Braves were beating the likes of the Dodgers, Rays and Cardinals they were just outscoring people. The starting pitching and relief work still wasn't stellar.

Right now this team is leaning and relying on a very fragile 40 year old player for both real offense and leadership......and I doubt seriously if they have a coherent, realistic plan for any type of realistic replacement when he's gone for good.

That's a bridge we'll cross when we get to. But the pitching while not great was still pretty good when we were winning. But now it's horrible especially the bullpen. The bullpen as a whole hasn't had a scoreless outing since we beat the Rays 2-0 Sunday a week ago.

Guest Gritz

That's a bridge we'll cross when we get to..

I guess I'm a little bit more concerned about it than you are. The Braves aren't exactly stocked with position players in the minors and haven't shown in recent years (since Liberty has been the owners) that they are willing to be important players in free agency.

I guess the plan as of now is to plug Prado in at 3rd......and this is a guy they were actively shopping just a few short months ago.

It looks like a potential mess in the making to me.

I guess I'm a little bit more concerned about it than you are. The Braves aren't exactly stocked with position players in the minors and haven't shown in recent years (since Liberty has been the owners) that they are willing to be important players in free agency.

I guess the plan as of now is to plug Prado in at 3rd......and this is a guy they were actively shopping just a few short months ago.

It looks like a potential mess in the making to me.

Frank Wren showed when he signed Derek Lowe and Kenshin Kawakami that if he has money to spend he will spend it. He will have money to spend this up coming off-season. Chipper's $13M salary this season will come off the books. We're paying Lowe $10M to play for the Indians this season. That's $23M right there. That's plenty of money to sign a big time outfield bat that would allow us to move Prado to 3B in 2013.

Tim Hudson isn't a lock to comeback next season. He has a $9M option. The Braves could choose to let him walk and spend the money else where. I don't see that happening. I see the Braves bringing Hudson back. McCann's $12M option for next season is pretty much a lock to be picked up.

Jurrjens is getting $5.5M this season and unless he shows great improvement will most likely be non-tendered. Now we're up $28.5M to play with. Diaz is getting $2M this season. He's gone after the season. Now we're up to $30.5M of free money. Jack Wilson is getting $1M this season. He won't be back. That's $31.5M freed up.

Eric Hinske has a $1.5M option for next season. That's no guarantee to be picked up. Ross is getting $1.625 this season. He's a free agent after the season. Will be be back? Or will the Braves make Bethancourt the backup to McCann to get him ready to take over as starter for 2014 and let McCann walk?

But I'm not too concerned about the off-season right. Until the Braves are officially eliminated or clinch a playoff berth this season isn't over.

Guest Gritz

Frank Wren showed when he signed Derek Lowe and Kenshin Kawakami that if he has money to spend he will spend it. He will have money to spend this up coming off-season. Chipper's $13M salary this season will come off the books. We're paying Lowe $10M to play for the Indians this season. That's $23M right there. That's plenty of money to sign a big time outfield bat that would allow us to move Prado to 3B in 2013.

Tim Hudson isn't a lock to comeback next season. He has a $9M option. The Braves could choose to let him walk and spend the money else where. I don't see that happening. I see the Braves bringing Hudson back. McCann's $12M option for next season is pretty much a lock to be picked up.

Jurrjens is getting $5.5M this season and unless he shows great improvement will most likely be non-tendered. Now we're up $28.5M to play with. Diaz is getting $2M this season. He's gone after the season. Now we're up to $30.5M of free money. Jack Wilson is getting $1M this season. He won't be back. That's $31.5M freed up.

Eric Hinske has a $1.5M option for next season. That's no guarantee to be picked up. Ross is getting $1.625 this season. He's a free agent after the season. Will be be back? Or will the Braves make Bethancourt the backup to McCann to get him ready to take over as starter for 2014 and let McCann walk?

But I'm not too concerned about the off-season right. Until the Braves are officially eliminated or clinch a playoff berth this season isn't over.

Good solid post 567....I knew we were going to have some jack to play with, I just wasn't aware that it was that much.....

Who knows?....maybe this Joe Terdoslavich kid will be ready after a patchwork year of Prado playing 3rd...From what I've read Salcedo is behind JT as far as being potentially MLB ready.

Good solid post 567....I knew we were going to have some jack to play with, I just wasn't aware that it was that much.....

Who knows?....maybe this Joe Terdoslavich kid will be ready after a patchwork year of Prado playing 3rd...From what I've read Salcedo is behind JT as far as being potentially MLB ready.

While Terdoslavich did well in spring training but he's been completely over matched at Gwinnett this season. .193/.259/.284 and he's made 22 errors. I think our only hope for a long-term solution at 3B is Edward Salcedo.

But in the meantime move Prado to 3B in 2013 and go after a big time outfield bat. There are plenty available. Andre Ethier and Josh Hamilton headline the crop.

Losing streak over! Time to start a winning streak!

The starting pitching and bullpen have got to get better or we will have another 8-game LS soon enough.

What is the Status of J.J. He was hot trash this year, but was it injury related. I haven't been able to keep up with the Braves that much this year.

I still see us making the playoffs, but as a wild card... Maybe. Even when we were winning and in first place our pitching was less than spectacular. No way we were going to stay first in the NL in batting.

The starting pitching and bullpen have got to get better or we will have another 8-game LS soon enough.

What is the Status of J.J. He was hot trash this year, but was it injury related. I haven't been able to keep up with the Braves that much this year.

I still see us making the playoffs, but as a wild card... Maybe. Even when we were winning and in first place our pitching was less than spectacular. No way we were going to stay first in the NL in batting.

Our pitching wasn't that bad when we were winning. It wasn't nearly as good as it was last season but there was no way it could be that good again. Jurrjens career with the Braves looks pretty much lost. Although he finally showed signs of life in his last start at Gwinnett. His fastball finally had something on it with some movement.

Sending Kris Medlen down to get him ready to move into the rotation was a great move especially if he replaces Mike Minor who has been a total lost cause since early in the season when he was lights out. Beachy and Hudson have been lights out for the most part. Delgado has been able as good as could be expected.

Kimbrel has been lights out. Durbin started the season completely awful but has been much better the last month or so. O'Flaherty in his last few games finally looks like the guy we had last season. Venters continues to get hit hard. He's got to get that straightened out. Livan and Martinez have been able as good as could be expected.