Saints Will Keep Blitzing Under Spags

SuperAINTSfan

The Saints had a blitz-heavy identity under outgoing defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. No team in the league sent more six- and seven-man rushes over the past two seasons, and that kind of approach pays big-time dividends when one of the blitzers gets home.

When it doesn’t? Well, then it’s like Christmas for the offense.

New coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is implementing more zone coverage in the secondary, but the Saints’ approach up front will be similar. Spags is a disciple of famously blitz-happy former Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, after all.

It’s extremely aggressive,” Saints linebacker Chris Chamberlain explained of Spagnuolo’s scheme, per Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I think if Spags had it his way, he would like to blitz and pressure on every down.”

Added safety Malcolm Jenkins, “Spags’ defense isn’t a sit-back defense. It’s still aggressive. It’s not your all-out pressure that you get from a Gregg Williams defense, but he does have a lot of pressure coming from a lot of different places. And he preaches playing fast and playing downhill.”

So it sounds like Spagnuolo’s defense won’t be quite as irresponsibly blitz-based as Williams’ was. But that’s probably a good thing, and the Saints are still going to stress putting pressure on the quarterback on most downs.

Cant wait to see what the DB's can do in a DB friendly scheme.

May be the least talked about Free Agent we have but the one I'm most interested in. Did a little searching and found a little information on him. Enjoy!

Denver Broncos: Brodrick Bunkley a Huge Loss | Bleacher Report (nothing to get excited about in this article)

Quote:

Bunkley was an impact player for Denver in 2011 as one of the few defensive tackles who performed well against the run. In fact, Pro Football Focus graded Bunkley as the NFL's best run-stopping defensive lineman this season, making stops on over 11 percent of defensive snaps this past season.

Denver Broncos need to keep DT Brodrick Bunkley or find someone like him - The Denver Post

Quote:

But if it's a calmer sort of free-agency market, especially after the first few days, and Bunkley is still available, the Broncos would take a look if they believe he could give them the same kind of effort that he did this past season.

He was a situational player at times down the stretch — he didn't play in the team's nickel (five defensive backs), and the Broncos spent much of the stretch run in that set — but it was often evident when he wasn't in there. So, if they don't re-sign him, they had better find somebody just like him.

Broncos defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley is making his presence felt - The Denver Post (Get excited about this one!!!)

Quote:

We haven't had a guy like that, not since I've been here," Dumervil said. "He's been like a monster in there. You see a big guy dominating in there, dominating the centers, you see the job he did dominating an all-pro center like (the New York Jets' Nick) Mangold last week. That's a difference-maker."

"Everyone has their personal goals, their personal wants," Bunkley said. "My main focus is to do whatever I can so I won't be a liability on the team, won't be a weakness, to do my job, do it right."

Quote:

Dawkins, having watched the Broncos limp through last year's 4-12 season, said Bunkley brought a refreshing attitude to Dove Valley, as well as a big body desperately needed.

"Wanting to be part of a solution because it's important to him," is how Dawkins described Bunkley's outlook.

That was evident in the Broncos' 1-4 start when Bunkley, often still wearing his grass-stained uniform, would be in front of his locker long after most of his teammates had gone after a game.

"Really, it's a chance to reflect, just check out what I've done, things I can do better at," Bunkley said. "I don't hold up the bus or anything. But a lot of time my emotions are running each and every way. If you lose, you're angry. If you win you're super excited — last week I was super excited — but I want to hold it down, my area, that's my objective.

"I don't want to disappoint anybody, I never have."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ld-card-round/

Quote:

Brodrick Bunkley vs. the Pittsburgh interior

It seems to have flown very much under the radar, but Brodrick Bunkley (+28.4 run defense) has had a fantastic season as a run-stuffing nose tackle for the Broncos. He’s been one of the top defensive tackles against the run all year, and he can disrupt even the best rushing attacks if they try and run past his gap responsibility. The Steelers are still not sure if they can count on Maurkice Pouncey to start at center and even if he can, hampered by a bad ankle, that will be a matchup the Broncos would like their chances in. If Pouncey can’t start, the picture doesn’t get much better, with the Steelers lacking anybody they could reasonably expect to deal with Bunkley single-handedly. How Pittsburgh attempts to neutralize Bunkley play will be a crucial aspect of the Pittsburgh running game, especially as they are now deep into the bench at running back with injuries, the latest to starter Rashard Mendenhall.

Bunkley is ALL OVER THIS ARTICLE!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-tackles/

Quote:

3. Brodrick Bunkley, Denver Broncos: Week 11 vs. New York Jets (+6.5)

What makes this performance extra special is that Bunkley was able to do it by simply dominating the excellent Nick Mangold. Not one to get much pressure in the pass game (he got zero in this game); Bunkley lined up over Mangold and worked him over in a way we really have never seen anyone do. Matt Slauson also took a bit of a beating as Bunkley ended the game with four tackles for short gains, one for a loss, and another for no gain. The Jets only found success when they double-teamed him.

Quote:

Top 10 Run Defense DT performances

1. Brodrick Bunkley (DEN), Week 11 vs. New York Jets (+7.3)

2t. Brodrick Bunkley (DEN), Week 15 vs. Chicago (+4.8)

2t. Linval Joseph (NYG), Week 13 vs. Green Bay (+4.8)

4. Sione Pouha (NYJ), Week 11 at Denver (+4.7)

5. Kevin Williams (MIN) Week 11 vs. Oakland (+4.6)

6. Kelly Gregg (KC), Week 5 at Indianapolis (+4.3)

6t. John Henderson (OAK), Week 9 vs. Denver (+4.3)

6t. Marcell Dareus (BUF), Week 16 vs. Denver (+4.3)

9. Haloti Ngata (BLT), Week 2 at Tennessee (+4.2)

10t. Brodrick Bunkley (DEN), Week 7 at Miami (+3.9)

10t. Brandon Mebane (SEA), Week 11 at St Louis (+3.9)

10t. Derek Landri (PHI), Week 14 at Miami (+3.9)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...oncos-week-11/

Quote:

An off day for the O-line

You could see Wayne Hunter (-4.4) having a bad day considering he was up against Von Miller, but Nick Mangold (-3.2)? That I did not see coming as this generation’s best center simply couldn’t handle Brodrick Bunkley. In addition to firing a direct snap to Joe McKnight with too much velocity, Mangold had absolutely no joy against Bunkley unless he was getting double team help (such as 5:19 to go in the third). It’s something of a surprise because the Jets center looked back to his best against the Patriots last week, but he just couldn’t follow it up. The challenge now will be to see how he responds.

Quote:

In Brod they trust

Coming out of this game there are plenty of stories to talk about, but one that is likely to get overlooked is the simply fantastic performance of Brodrick Bunkley (+6.5). It’s nothing new, as he has made life tough for plenty of centers, but after previously doing a lot of good work against rookies Mike Pouncey and Stefan Wisniewski, this time he did it against one of the greats, Mangold. The Bronco DT was too much to handle, as he went to work on Mangold and Matt Slauson on his way to five tackles (all of which were defensive stops). A lot of teams should be on notice about Bunkley after this game given his contract is up at the end of the year, and if they need an example of what he is capable of, look at 9:38 in the second. The former Eagle explodes off the snap and off the right shoulder of Mangold who can’t even slow him down as he meets Joe McKnight in the backfield. He was huge in shutting the run down.

Quote:

PFF Game Ball

It’s a tough one and I couldn’t argue with anyone going for Miller after that clutch sack. But the Jets lost this game because they couldn’t run the ball effectively, and they couldn’t run the ball effectively because of Brodrick Bunkley.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...enver-broncos/

Quote:

There’s a good argument to be made that the Broncos need a middle linebacker as well, with Joe Mays (+3.3) set to hit the open market. They are also looking at losing Brodrick Bunkley (+26.8), which opens up a yawning chasm in the middle of their defense. Bunkley was a monster against the run all season, and in truth the Broncos would be best served getting him back. Simply put the Broncos did not have a single other interior lineman that finished with a positive grade for 2011. Starting defensive ends Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil were the only other defensive linemen that did not collect a negative grade. Were it not for Bunkley last season, the Broncos defense would not have been half as impressive as it was. The games where they fell apart tended to be ones where teams were able to keep him on the sideline and force Denver into playing nickel defense all game long.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...s-with-saints/

Quote:

With one of the most well-respected defensive minds in Steve Spagnuolo coaching Bunkley next season, expect his success to continue. If you’re in a deep IDP league and/or one that requires DTs, Bunkley deserves a look. At the very least, he could fill in nicely if you’re go-to guy has is on a bye week or will be facing an elite guard/center. With very limited DTs out there who are sure-fire fantasy studs, Bunkley could very well put up adequate numbers. Furthermore, his presence will command double teams, and his signing instantly provided a slight boost to the IDP value of guys like Will Smith, Cameron Jordan, Sedrick Ellis, and whoever plays MLB for the Saints in 2012.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-linemen/

Quote:

# Name Team Run Snaps Tackles Assists Missed Tackles Run Stops Run Stop % 1 Brodrick Bunkley DEN 274 35 9 3 31 11.3 2 Sione Pouha NYJ 353 41 8 2 36 10.2 3 Jurrell Casey TEN 321 35 8 2 30 9.3 4 Cullen Jenkins PHI 220 21 8 3 20 9.1 5 Linval Joseph NYG 288 31 3 2 25 8.7 6 Vince Wilfork NE 334 34 4 3 29 8.7 7 Isaac Sopoaga SF 201 19 7 3 17 8.5 8 Brandon Mebane SEA 352 39 10 0 30 8.5 9 Ahtyba Rubin CLV 434 54 10 4 37 8.5 10 Marcus Thomas DEN 277 30 6 2 23 8.3

That's good. Saints were always pretty good at blitzing. With improved coaching from the DC, their entire D should look much improved.

i think so too. they dont have to be MUCH improved ya know. Just overall better. I can see the DBs being alot more productive now that they arent one on one with 6 people blitzing. The safeties were 25 yards off the line. NO way to help. All they were there for is to make sure no one got a 80 yard TD. its the reason the saints let the most pass plays over 20 yards.

Whats funny is in 2010 we had the #4 defense overall and our secondary was our strength. These guys don't just all of a sudden suck. With Lofton, Hawthorne, and Bunkley our run D should be enough to force teams to throw and I don't think that will end well for opponents.

Bunkley was a solid pickup for the Saints...

Wondering if a Brees-less, Payton-less offense can score enough points to keep up with teams marching downfield against a zone coverage.

Well that payton-less offense avaraged 36 ppg without him calling plays. His system is in place and Carmicheal is the perfect guy for it.

Wondering if a Brees-less, Payton-less offense can score enough points to keep up with teams marching downfield against a zone coverage.

Well that payton-less offense avaraged 36 ppg without him calling plays. His system is in place and Carmicheal is the perfect guy for it.

My concern is how will they look in zone because they're going to use a lot more zone under Spags. Last year they were fairly awful across the board in zone.

Lofton and Hawthorne certainly should be better than Shanle and Dunbar in that category, but the corners weren't that great either. Porter is strictly a man corner, and now he's gone. Greer played in a Tampa 2 for several years fairly well in Buffalo, but he played even better in man. Patrick Robinson & Malcolm Jenkins are probably the two biggest question marks in terms of zone defense now.

A little bit irrelevant... but the Saints had 33 dropped INTs last year if I remember correctly. And at least at one point late in the season they were leading the league in forced fumbles... but near the bottom in fumble recoveries. -7 in TO margin primarily due to that... yet they were still 13-3. 49ers were +28 in TO margin, had almost no injuries (I think 27 total missed games due to injuries), and a weak schedule, and they finished with the same record. If only that game were played in New Orleans.... ****...

Edited by bradael

As long as Brees is signed in sufficient time and the offense doesn't suffer the injuries they did in 2010, they'll be fine. Most likely still #1 again. I mean they still have a good OLine, Brees, Graham, Colston, Sproles, etc. And they actually scored 8 more points per game last year with Carmichael calling plays than with Payton calling them.

The offense will be fine... it's the defense that will be the concern, but it's hard to see them doing worse than last year especially down the stretch of the season. They have all the pieces, but I guess it's a matter of how well Spags fits them into the puzzle.

My concern is how will they look in zone because they're going to use a lot more zone under Spags. Last year they were fairly awful across the board in zone.

Lofton and Hawthorne certainly should be better than Shanle and Dunbar in that category, but the corners weren't that great either. Porter is strictly a man corner, and now he's gone. Greer played in a Tampa 2 for several years fairly well in Buffalo, but he played even better in man. Patrick Robinson & Malcolm Jenkins are probably the two biggest question marks in terms of zone defense now.

A little bit irrelevant... but the Saints had 33 dropped INTs last year if I remember correctly. And at least at one point late in the season they were leading the league in forced fumbles... but near the bottom in fumble recoveries. -7 in TO margin primarily due to that... yet they were still 13-3. 49ers were +28 in TO margin, had almost no injuries (I think 27 total missed games due to injuries), and a weak schedule, and they finished with the same record. If only that game were played in New Orleans.... ****...

Good post. The zone coverage will be the main point of concern. I believe the Falcons' zone made a lot of our games closer than they had to be.

Eh, we'll see. I know most saints fans aren't worried for this very reason.. I'm not worried either. My take is that even though Payton wasn't on the sidelines calling plays, he still had his hand in the weeklong preparation, gameday adjustments, etc. The big game that skewed those stats came against the Colts, right? (62 points against the team picking first in the draft...just sayin')

We'll see, by season's end, just how big of a difference Payton makes. If he's as "needless" as you all claim, why would you need him back????

Eh, we'll see. I know most saints fans aren't worried for this very reason.. I'm not worried either. My take is that even though Payton wasn't on the sidelines calling plays, he still had his hand in the weeklong preparation, gameday adjustments, etc. The big game that skewed those stats came against the Colts, right? (62 points against the team picking first in the draft...just sayin')

We'll see, by season's end, just how big of a difference Payton makes. If he's as "needless" as you all claim, why would you need him back????

Well we averaged 35 without that game so whats next. And to add to that the sportswriter who stated that was wrong. In the 12 games Carmichael called we averaged 37.2 a game I just added that up. You can do it too if you want , start from the colts game. Carmichael was the one who came up with that running back chip thing we do after the rans game. 37.2 since that game, the man has been under Payton for 6 years I'm sure he's good enough to adjust himself.

Edited by Breesus is back

Well we averaged 35 without that game so whats next. And to add to that the sportswriter who stated that was wrong. In the 12 games Carmichael called we averaged 37.2 a game I just added that up. You can do it too if you want , start from the colts game.

Thanks, but that would be foolish and irrelevant. In the 12 games Poindexter called, Sean Payton was still head coach of all of them.

This year will be a completely different scenario...

Thanks, but that would be foolish and irrelevant. In the 12 games Poindexter called, Sean Payton was still head coach of all of them.

This year will be a completely different scenario...

And did he or did he not call plays himself? In Fact Sean said himself he laid off the offense a bit and let Pete take full control. The man has coached all his life . We don't have Payton yet were still by far the best offense in the league. If you need anything to make yourself feel like we've taken a step back then by any means do whatever makes you happy.

Really, no one knows how the offense will be affected without Payton but I will say that I don't expect them to impove without him. I just hope there's not much of a dropoff, if any.

But for some reason they think were gonna suck. We might not score 35 + but by talent alone we're gonna be top 5.

And did he or he call plays himself? In Fact Sean said himself he laid off the offense a bit and let Pete take full control. The man has coached all his life . We don't have Payton yet were still by far the best offense in the league. If you need anything to make yourself feel like we've taken a step back then by any means do whatever makes you happy.

And if you think your head coach is that useless, then by all means, make yourself happy right back!wink.png

And if you think your head coach is that useless, then by all means, make yourself happy right back!wink.png

If we're out scoring 35+ we are gonna win most games no matter how you try and spin it. All payton does is run an offense and really nothing else which is why greg williams had this Fuk you clause in his contact which means he got to do whatever he wants. Basically all Payton was is a glorified OC and Pete is a dam good one himself. So really you can speak about missing a head coach all you want his system has been in place for 6 years and all you need is a play caller to execute it. So really it wont make a difference unless we're in close games which we wont be un much. Maybe if Payton was new but 6 years put in will make little difference. Carmichael's a grown man he doesn't need Payton to baby him.

If we're out scoring 35+ we are gonna win most games no matter how you try and spin it. All payton does is run an offense and really nothing else which is why greg williams had this Fuk you clause in his contact which means he got to do whatever he wants. Basically all Payton was is a glorified OC and Pete is a dam good one himself. So really you can speak about missing a head coach all you want his system has been in place for 6 years and all you need is a play caller to execute it. So really it wont make a difference unless we're in close games which we wont be un much. Maybe if Payton was new but 6 years put in will make little difference. Carmichael's a grown man he doesn't need Payton to baby him.

ill disagree about Payton being a glorified OC. He is one of the best HC in the league for a reason. Its all the little things he does that makes this team click.

That will be missing. On gameday he may have been more of an OC than anything else, but from Monday to game time he was the MAN

ill disagree about Payton being a glorified OC. He is one of the best HC in the league for a reason. Its all the little things he does that makes this team click.

That will be missing. On gameday he may have been more of an OC than anything else, but from Monday to game time he was the MAN

they will be able to make up for what they miss this season with the 'us against the world' mentality and dedicating the season to Payton.

question is, does that work for a whole season?