Udfa Cody Pearcy..................are You Kidding Me?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No we are not kidding you, but don't kid yourself by assuming that an UDFA is a guaruntee to make the roster, and as the 4th WR no less, just b/c he had a good pro day and some good highlights. I like the kid too, but he went undrafted for a reason. He has a lot of competition to make the team as a WR. Let's at least get through OTAs before we crown him. He has a better shot at being the 5th or 6th WR, depending on special teams play. Patience, my friend, patience.

Edited by hjerry

His main knock is that he's 160lbs. He'll get hammered going across the middle. Until then, he could be a great weopon because his speed and agility is incredible.

I agree with others though. He's not a 4th WR at this point. He needs to make the roster first. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the roster, but I do think he'll at least be on the Practice Squad. If he could add 15-20lbs of muscle in a year, he would be less likely to get killed out there.

I love this guys pro day and highlights, but hjerry is right, we have a ton of competition at WR right now. I think that we will take 6 WRs into this season because I have a feeling that we may cut Cox and use Snelling as our 2nd FB.

Right now Roddy/Julio/Douglas are locked in at WR, but there are 5 others competing for the remaining 3 spots. I have also been hearing that Rodgers (brother of RB Rodgers) is looking good, and also had great return skills, so he may have a slight edge over Pearcy right now. I will wait a couple more weeks before I make a prediction on who makes the roster, but I think that Pearcy will at least make our practice squad. It could be Meier last season to prove himself, or stay injury free.

I definitely like the competition that we have at WR this season.

I love this guys pro day and highlights, but hjerry is right, we have a ton of competition at WR right now. I think that we will take 6 WRs into this season because I have a feeling that we may cut Cox and use Snelling as our 2nd FB.

Right now Roddy/Julio/Douglas are locked in at WR, but there are 5 others competing for the remaining 3 spots. I have also been hearing that Rodgers (brother of RB Rodgers) is looking good, and also had great return skills, so he may have a slight edge over Pearcy right now. I will wait a couple more weeks before I make a prediction on who makes the roster, but I think that Pearcy will at least make our practice squad. It could be Meier last season to prove himself, or stay injury free.

I definitely like the competition that we have at WR this season.

Actually, if you are going to say that Meier is not a lock and we will carry 6, then there are 8 guys battling for 3 spots.

No we are not kidding you, but don't kid yourself by assuming that an UDFA is a guaruntee to make the roster, and as the 4th WR no less, just b/c he had a good pro day and some good highlights. I like the kid too, but he went undrafted for a reason. He has a lot of competition to make the team as a WR. Let's at least get through OTAs before we crown him. He has a better shot at being the 5th or 6th WR, depending on special teams play. Patience, my friend, patience.

His main knock is that he's 160lbs. He'll get hammered going across the middle. Until then, he could be a great weopon because his speed and agility is incredible.

I agree with others though. He's not a 4th WR at this point. He needs to make the roster first. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the roster, but I do think he'll at least be on the Practice Squad. If he could add 15-20lbs of muscle in a year, he would be less likely to get killed out there.

Also to name a few who are getting the shot for 4th WR..... Rogers Meier and the kid from CAL.

Edited by FalconsFan#241

I swear most people on this board are Al Davis reincarnated or something. The kid certainly has superb triangle numbers; however, the leap in competition will be a big challenge, and he currently doesn't have the size to stand up to a full season of hits. It will be really hard for him to bulk up by adding "healthy weight," without losing speed before the pads go on. It might be even harder for him to keep it on through an NFL season. I see him possibly cracking the roster as a ST player, but that is his ceiling for this season... realistically he will be a PS player for us. With a year in an NFL training program, and the chance to get acclimated to NFL game speed he will stand a much better chance.

I hope I am wrong though. He needs to prove he can take multiple NFL caliber hits.

I'm not on this guy's jock, but his pro day was impressive. The level of competition wasn't great, however we do have a guy on our roster who is vertically challenged and came from Shippensburg State or somewhere like that. He seems to have turned out just fine. So I hope he works hard and earns a spot as well.

Edited by Dawggone

I always find it amusing when people make declarations that someone will beat other guys on the roster out when they went undrafted by watching a You Tube video. Lets see what they do when they line up against the big boys before we make assumptions that will probably never come to fruition.

LOL. I had to check the date of this because there were at least three identical posts the day that UDFAs were announced, videos and all. I hope Pearcy makes the team if he's a better fit than the others on our roster, but Pro Day video isn't the way to find out who the next Brent Grimes or Victor Cruz is going to be. Out-running, out-jumping, and out-hustling the guy in the other jersey is what it's going to take. Good luck, Cody.

I always find it amusing when people make declarations that someone will beat other guys on the roster out when they went undrafted by watching a You Tube video. Lets see what they do when they line up against the big boys before we make assumptions that will probably never come to fruition.

Yeah because no UDFA ever falls through the cracks. Just ask Kurk Warner, Warren Moon, Antonio Gates, Priest Holmes, yada yada yada. And its not from just watching a U-Tube video. Teams did not pull the trigger on this Guy because he was from a D-III school. If he would have been invited to the combine he would have been drafted. He had better vert and 40 #'s in his pro day than anybody had at the combine this year. 44 inch vert and a 4.31 40. He also had a 6.67 three cone drill and a 3.76 short shuttle. Does this mean he will make it? No. But that kind of stuff ya can't teach. All I am saying is I bet he makes the team. Now if he can't get the system thats a different story!

Guest Fibonacci

Yeah because no UDFA ever falls through the cracks. Just ask Kurk Warner, Warren Moon, Antonio Gates, Priest Holmes, yada yada yada. And its not from just watching a U-Tube video. Teams did not pull the trigger on this Guy because he was from a D-III school. If he would have been invited to the combine he would have been drafted. He had better vert and 40 #'s in his pro day than anybody had at the combine this year. 44 inch vert and a 4.31 40. He also had a 6.67 three cone drill and a 3.76 short shuttle. Does this mean he will make it? No. But that kind of stuff ya can't teach. All I am saying is I bet he makes the team. Now if he can't get the system thats a different story!

not nocking you at all.....but do you know how rare it is to have a UDFA become something? sure you listed some guys. But it comes down to one or two guys on a team each year.....that is for all 32 teams.

with that said I do think the falcons will take a WR without a doubt. just not sure. but I can say franks/douglas will be returning the ball for us.

.... He had better vert and 40 #'s in his pro day than anybody had at the combine this year. 44 inch vert and a 4.31 40. He also had a 6.67 three cone drill and a 3.76 short shuttle. Does this mean he will make it? No. But that kind of stuff ya can't teach.....

Make a Dieon Sanders out of him. A non-tackling interception machine by winter, a base stealing center fielder by summer.

You might be right about getting hammered across the middle, but then have to ask how much did DeSean J. get hammered his firs year. Answer not much and Cody is heaver now the DeSean was his first year you have to catch them to hit them

If the patriots can do something with Welker and Woodhead I'm sure they'll do something with this kid in the future.......if he doesnt make our roster they'll scoop him up. I dont have faith in the Falcons to develop raw talent like this.

Desean Jackson was around 178 coming in. Everyone thought he was too light, but his speed has made it nearly a mute point.

If this guy can catch he'll have a job.

Wouldn't want him to add much weight either. Speaking of weight. He doesn't look 160 to me. He's got more height and muscle on him than I do and I'm 150. He looks more 165-170 which is still crazy thin for NFL.