Pft: If Brees Sits 2012, Cannot Get Exclusive Tag 2013 Per Cba

Per Pro Football Talk, if Brees really wants to play hard ball, he can sit out 2012 and that will prevent the Saints from being able to use the exclusive franchise tag on him next year. They would be able to use the non exclusive tag, meaning any team could sign him to a massive deal, giving the Saints the opportunity to match it, and if they declined they would only get a 1 and a 3 draft pick as compensation. This is per the new collective bargaining agreement.

I know everybody says he will never sit out the season, but it really would not be a bad strategy if the Saints continue to play hard ball. He could get a massive contract next year, and not have to risk injury playing under only a 1 year tender.

If Brees sits out in 2012, things get very interesting in 2013

Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT

brees2.jpg?w=179 Getty Images

Recently, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported that, under the CBA, the NFLPA believes Saints quarterback Drew Brees will be entitled to a 44-percent raise in 2013, if the Saints use the franchise tag on him again. But Brees has available to him a much more potent tactic, if he’s willing to walk away from $16.371 million in 2012.

Article 10, Section 15© of the labor deal explains that, if Brees doesn’t play in 2012, he can be tendered as a franchise player once again in 2013. Though the language is a bit vague as to whether the franchise tender would equate to 120 percent of his 2011 salary or 120 percent of his 2012 tender (which is much higher), Section 15© contains a much more troubling provision, for the Saints. If Brees hold out for all of 2012, the Saints would be prevented from using the exclusive version of the franchise tag on Brees in 2013.

It gets better (or, from the Saints’ perspective, worse). If Brees never signs the 2012 franchise tender, the compensation in 2013 would drop to one first-round pick and one third-round pick.

While the Saints would have the right to match any offer sheet Brees signs elsewhere in 2013, a new team could put together a monstrous offer — and then the Saints would have to decide whether to finally pay Brees or let him walk away.

The fact that neither the Brees camp nor the NFLPA have leaked this specific tidbit could mean that Brees has no real intention of sitting out the full season, contrary to reports that he won’t sign the one-year tender. But if July 16 comes and goes without Brees signing a long-term deal and if he decides to exercise his right to not sign the one-year, $16.371 million tender, Brees’ name could be added to the list of options for teams that need quarterbacks in 2013.

Intriguing (for now) possibilities include the Jets, who are always looking for a franchise quarterback, the Chiefs, the Raiders (yeah, G.M. Reggie McKenzie said he’s done trading draft picks, but coach Dennis Allen would be lobbying hard for Brees), the Eagles (this is Mike Vick’s make-or-break season in Philly), the Vikings (oh, the irony), the 49ers, and the Cardinals.

But then there’s the fact the Brees grew up in Texas. Which could make the Texans and/or the Cowboys load the financial cannon in the hopes of bringing Drew home.

A lot of things have to happen before Brees would sit out the full season. But circumstances will change as of July 16. Given that Brees will have a shot at letting the market set his value in 2013 if he sits out for the full year, he could insist after July 16 on an agreement that the Saints won’t use the exclusive tender on him in 2013 — or that they won’t use the franchise tender at all.

Guest Fibonacci
Guys, Brees will play this season. Anyone that thinks he's going to leave $16M on the table, are flat out delusional. He'll get his LTD before the start of TC.

You do know brees next year would get over 20 million easily. So in 3-4 years he would make what he would have in this one.

If he does play then he would really want to mark over 4500 in yards. And that means he is playing with no coach above him, 1 guy on the line who he even saw as good, and a new one, loss of a WR. now that means he have to really try, which could risk injury. If he gets injured, then that 20 million future is in the trash. Because the next team would offer him 16 at most. Also that would just be if his injury only lasted for this season.

So yes it might be a good decision to sit.

Guest Fibonacci
he ain t sitting out.

So tell me why he is sitting? Taints could use him badly. They need someone to help this team.....everyone has said it.

Yes he might be sitting. Just like I said above.....

--------------------------

You do know brees next year would get over 20 million easily. So in 3-4 years he would make what he would have in this one.

If he does play then he would really want to mark over 4500 in yards. And that means he is playing with no coach above him, 1 guy on the line who he even saw as good, and a new one, loss of a WR. now that means he have to really try, which could risk injury. If he gets injured, then that 20 million future is in the trash. Because the next team would offer him 16 at most. Also that would just be if his injury only lasted for this season. So yes it might be a good decision to sit.

So tell me why he is sitting? Taints could use him badly. They need someone to help this team.....everyone has said it.

Yes he might be sitting. Just like I said above.....

--------------------------

If he does play then he would really want to mark over 4500 in yards. And that means he is playing with no coach above him, 1 guy on the line who he even saw as good, and a new one, loss of a WR. now that means he have to really try, which could risk injury. If he gets injured, then that 20 million future is in the trash. Because the next team would offer him 16 at most. Also that would just be if his injury only lasted for this season. So yes it might be a good decision to sit.

When he's under center at TC, expect me to bump this thread back to the front page.

Brees will sign his tender or a LTD,

Guest Fibonacci

When he's under center at TC, expect me to bump this thread back to the front page.

Brees will sign his tender or a LTD,

cool, thanks. I am not afraid of being wrong. but you have to admit....he shoud be there already at the OTA's in progress already. without a head coach, new D cordinator, and no brees is hard. you think pete carmichael can teach without brees? OTA are very important. with no coach it his hoping everyone in the past knows what the coach would want to do. with a new D-coordinator, you better start learning. without your star player, who knows Sean better than anyone.....well he should be there out of all players.

so you are concerned about TC......well taintsville should be concerned about OTA.

If he signs his LTD, I could see that. not sure where they would come up with all the money he desirves. but oh well.

so just curious......will you still bump his thread if he has not signed by 7/29?

Guest Fibonacci

Drew Brees won't get 20 mil a year from anybody next year, so sitting out would be a bad bad move.

Who wants to pay a guy 20 mil a year and give up a 1st and 3rd for a guy who is 34 years old?

Just not going to happen.

how old is peyton manning?

no, the broncos did not give up a first and a third....but you can beat on it they would have given up 2-3 first round pocks for peyton in a heart beat.

how old is peyton manning?

no, the broncos did not give up a first and a third....but you can beat on it they would have given up 2-3 first round pocks for peyton in a heart beat.

Peyton Manning is better than Drew Brees.

Also, Peyton Manning only has one guaranteed year in his contract, and that is for 18 million.

I doubt Drew Brees would be happy with Peyton Manning's contract if he held out an entire year.

Guest Fibonacci

Also, Peyton Manning only has one guaranteed year in his contract, and that is for 18 million.

I doubt Drew Brees would be happy with Peyton Manning's contract if he held out an entire year.

I would put my bet on manning going for 60 million guaranteed then I would brees singing his tender.

but yes this year is 18 million for manning. he plays and shows he can play (not be the star he was in the past...just play), then his contract will go to 60 million guarenteed. there is some cold hard cash in there for manning.

anyhow brees tender is only 14.4

brees threw for more yardage the what manning did. brees and manning won 1 superbowl game. manning has 2 superbowl appearences to brees one.

anyhow I am not going to talk anymore tainsville crap. brees should get 20 million without a doubt. he is younger, more healthy, and threw for more yards then manning did....pay the guy already or watch him sit and wait until next year to sign with someone who will pay him 20 million. and like I said earlier; making 20 million will make it to where in 3-4 years it would have been worth it to sit.....plus brees does not have to worry about playing for a cheap amount and risking injuries without a future contract.

Drew Brees won't get 20 mil a year from anybody next year, so sitting out would be a bad bad move.

Who wants to pay a guy 20 mil a year and give up a 1st and 3rd for a guy who is 34 years old?

Just not going to happen.

I don't think he'd have much of a problem at all actually.

But I'd be very shocked if he sat out the year

I don't think he'd have much of a problem at all actually.

But I'd be very shocked if he sat out the year

Brees isn't as good as Brady or Manning. Those guys didn't get contracts that averaged 20 million. Contracts values aren't going up since the new CBA was signed except for the occasional aberration. Mostly contract values are static or even trending down.

cool, thanks. I am not afraid of being wrong. but you have to admit....he shoud be there already at the OTA's in progress already. without a head coach, new D cordinator, and no brees is hard. you think pete carmichael can teach without brees? OTA are very important. with no coach it his hoping everyone in the past knows what the coach would want to do. with a new D-coordinator, you better start learning. without your star player, who knows Sean better than anyone.....well he should be there out of all players.

so you are concerned about TC......well taintsville should be concerned about OTA.

If he signs his LTD, I could see that. not sure where they would come up with all the money he desirves. but oh well.

so just curious......will you still bump his thread if he has not signed by 7/29?

Yes, I already wrote it on my calender. BTW, I'm not a Saints* fan.

Brees isn't as good as Brady or Manning. Those guys didn't get contracts that averaged 20 million. Contracts values aren't going up since the new CBA was signed except for the occasional aberration. Mostly contract values are static or even trending down.

I don't see that trend...

I don't see that trend...

The salary cap for 2009 was $128 million. The salary cap for 2010 was 120.3 mil. The salary cap for this year is 120.6 million, except they took 46 million away from the Redskins and Cowboys. That means, league wide, the players are getting about 35 million dollars less in 2012 than they got in 2011, and they have approximately $200 million less available to them than they did 3 years ago.

Just to use your own team as an example, they resigned an elite DE in Trent Cole in the prime of his career to a contract extension that pays him only 14.8 million over the first two years, and guarantees no other money.

What was a similar type player going for before the new CBA? A lot more than 7.4 mil a year.

The salary cap for 2009 was $128 million. The salary cap for 2010 was 120.3 mil. The salary cap for this year is 120.6 million, except they took 46 million away from the Redskins and Cowboys. That means, league wide, the players are getting about 35 million dollars less in 2012 than they got in 2011, and they have approximately $200 million less available to them than they did 3 years ago.

Just to use your own team as an example, they resigned an elite DE in Trent Cole in the prime of his career to a contract extension that pays him only 14.8 million over the first two years, and guarantees no other money.

What was a similar type player going for before the new CBA? A lot more than 7.4 mil a year.

I hear your point, but I guess we were talking about two different things.

I was looking at it strictly from a premier QB perspective...and Brees will still be considered in that category for the next 3-4 years. There may be some deviations to the salary cap from years past, but there have also been changes to the game. Changes that have made the most important position even more important.

So I think both could be true. Both meaning there is a declining trend in salaries (at least for now)...and that premier QBs won't feel those changes as much as other positions.

at this moment I would not say Peyton is better then Brees .

Career - yeah

Not right now

at this moment I would not say Peyton is better then Brees .

Career - yeah

Not right now

Drew Brees is a very good Quarterback, but he's spent 7 years in that system on a team loaded with weapons. I don't see the guy signing with say....the Arizona Cardinals or the Cleveland Browns and having the same kind of success as he's had in New Orleans......and I doubt other teams see that either.

It's true that Peyton Manning's performance has been slightly declining the last few years, but I think that is indicative of the severe drop off in talent the Colts have experienced more than anything.

Saints really dont have that many weapons as percieved . Colston while being a very good wr always gets left off the convo as one of best wr in game but is he a top 5 talent ? He is a great wr that has great body control and thrives in that system but he def benefits from having a QB like Brees . Jimmy Graham is top 2 TE in game him or Gronk . The Saints other wrs like Devery Henderson and Lance Moore and Meachem( gone now) are all wr depth . None of them are anything to write home about .. Moore got some upside but none of them are as talented as a Julio Jones or Aj Green Their rbs all compliment each other but there is no standout . They just have depth accross the board and a 3rd down rb that will slice you up in Sproles

I get what you saying Brees has had many diff options / weapons but outside Jimmy Graham he doesnt have the unquie talent . Manning has been blessed with Marvin Harrison / Reggie Wayne / Addai / James/ Dallas Clark so its not like he didnt have his fair share of weapons either

I would take Brees right now over Manning thats just my opinion

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Manning

Guys, Brees will play this season. Anyone that thinks he's going to leave $16M on the table, are flat out delusional. He'll get his LTD before the start of TC.

If there was one player in the NFL who would sit out a year in a contract dispute,it would be Brees.

He made 60 million plus endorsements over the years- he wasn't making babies with several different women or making it rain at clubs. He kept his money. He's set for life financially.

He also got screwed with the franchise tag the last time it was applied to him- got severely injured and let go by the club rather than sign a long term deal.

His legacy is secure- he has a super bowl ring and several passing records.

Good bet that the public would blame the team rather than Brees.

And, if the NFL does have the multiple independent sources they claim to have about bounties, they have to be Saints D players. He may realize that without Payton and with the locker room turmoil from bountygate that this season would be wasted anyway.

Having said all that, he's probably in camp July 14, but he's in the unique position of being able to sit out to make his point.

Saints really dont have that many weapons as percieved . Colston while being a very good wr always gets left off the convo as one of best wr in game but is he a top 5 talent ? He is a great wr that has great body control and thrives in that system but he def benefits from having a QB like Brees . Jimmy Graham is top 2 TE in game him or Gronk . The Saints other wrs like Devery Henderson and Lance Moore and Meachem( gone now) are all wr depth . None of them are anything to write home about .. Moore got some upside but none of them are as talented as a Julio Jones or Aj Green Their rbs all compliment each other but there is no standout . They just have depth accross the board and a 3rd down rb that will slice you up in Sproles

I get what you saying Brees has had many diff options / weapons but outside Jimmy Graham he doesnt have the unquie talent . Manning has been blessed with Marvin Harrison / Reggie Wayne / Addai / James/ Dallas Clark so its not like he didnt have his fair share of weapons either

I would take Brees right now over Manning thats just my opinion

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Manning

There is certainly an argument to be made, but I still don't think he is going to get a $20 mil a year contract. The Manning to Denver situation is unique and the contract is designed for the Broncos to get out of it paying him only $18 mil for one season if they want to.

He may even end up restructuring after this year.

Either way, there is no way Brees is going to throw away $16 mil for this year. Even if the Saints said, "screw it, we aren't going to talk to you anymore about a long term deal", he still show up to start collecting those million dollar a week game checks.