Judge Jails Honors Students W/ 2 Jobs Trying To Support Her Family For Truancy

Zodiac

http://www.khou.com/video/yahoo-video/Honor-Student-Jailed-for-Absences-153847275.html

HOUSTON—A judge threw a 17-year-old 11th grade honor student from Willis High School in jail after she missed school again.

Judge Lanny Moriarty said last month Diane Tran was in his Justice of the Peace court for truancy and he warned her then to stop missing school. But she recently missed classesagain so Wednesday he issued a summons and had her arrested in open court when she appeared.

Tran said she works a full-time job, a part-time job and takes advanced placement and dual credit college level courses. She said she is often too exhausted to wake up in time for school. Sometimes she misses the entire day, she said. Sometimes she arrives after attendance has been taken.

The judge ordered Tran to spend 24 hours in jail and pay a $100 fine. Judge Moriarty admitted that he wants to make an example of Tran.

“If you let one (truant student) run loose, what are you gonna’ do with the rest of ‘em? Let them go too?” Judge Moriarty asked.

Tran said she is working so hard because she is helping to support an older brother who attends Texas A&M University and a baby sister who lives with relatives in Houston. Tran said her parents divorced “out of the blue” and both moved away, leaving her in Willis. Her mother lives in Georgia, she said.

“I always thought our family was happy,” the teen said tearfully.

Tran lives with the family of one of her employers. They own a wedding venue. She works at the Vineyard of Waverly Manor on weekends and at a dry cleaners full time.

“She goes from job to job, from school she stays up ‘til 7 o’clock in the morning,” said her friend, co-worker and classmate Devin Hill.

Not only is the judge a complete an utter imbecile, but I'm pretty sure if anyone ever looked at Truancy laws hard enough they'd discover that they are 100% unconstitutional. Since when did the government have the ability to control where we have to be for the first 18 years of our lives when we in the constitution we are given the right to the pursuit of happiness. Because it sounds like this kid was trying her damnest to pursue happiness and a better situation for her family.

Well, you may have a point when referencing the Constitution...never thought if It that way, and I'm most likely underqualified.

However, I haven't ANY problem at all with this judges decision. The law is no respecter of circumstance. If (I suppose it's debatable) the law is clear in regards to attendance requirements for school children...then her workload, the classes she's taking, or the assistance she's providing her brother are immaterial.

If she was spending her time doing things others didn't think of fondly...the "throw her in jail" posts alone would make this a five pager!

Well, you may have a point when referencing the Constitution...never thought if It that way, and I'm most likely underqualified.

However, I haven't ANY problem at all with this judges decision. The law is no respecter of circumstance. If (I suppose it's debatable) the law is clear in regards to attendance requirements for school children...then her workload, the classes she's taking, or the assistance she's providing her brother are immaterial.

If she was spending her time doing things others didn't think of fondly...the "throw her in jail" posts alone would make this a five pager!

The fact is she wasn't, and her parents ran off and left their kids one of them who I think it says is a toddler with what appears to be no aid.

Sure their shouldn't be workarounds to the law, but come on he should've just dismissed this.

The fact is she wasn't, and her parents ran off and left their kids one of them who I think it says is a toddler with what appears to be no aid.

Sure their shouldn't be workarounds to the law, but come on he should've just dismissed this.

Don't misunderstand me....I'm sensitive to her plight. I think her taking responsibility is commendable. I'm thinking she had more sensible ways of furthering her viewpoint. Perhaps she should have filed for emancipation? Any judge would've granted It easily. Problem solved.

Breaking the law for one...is breaking It for all, isn't It?

The idea of treating truancy as a criminal matter is ridiculous to begin with. Most truancy is due to a problem situation for the child--problems at school, drugs, parents, something. So you take a child that is already in a problem situation and throw them into the criminal justice system, turning many of them into real criminals that will commit more serious crimes later on. Yeah, that makes sense.

Cant you drop out when you are 16? If thats the case how can you be jailed for not attending school at 17?

She sounds smart, she should just take the GED and be done with the k-12 system for good.

GED---->Cheap community college---->Nursing/Dental/Pharmacy/podiatry school------>Profit much quicker than the people who spent 4 years going into debt at a regular university, which will raise your tuition without consulting you just to fund some crappy football program you didnt want.

Cant you drop out when you are 16? If thats the case how can you be jailed for not attending school at 17?

She sounds smart, she should just take the GED and be done with the k-12 system for good.

GED---->Cheap community college---->Nursing/Dental/Pharmacy/podiatry school------>Profit much quicker than the people who spent 4 years going into debt at a regular university, which will raise your tuition without consulting you just to fund some crappy football program you didnt want.

I think it differs from state to state, I know in Tennessee you have to be 18 to drop out w/o parental consent where as in GA you could drop out at 16 w/o consent

The idea of treating truancy as a criminal matter is ridiculous to begin with. Most truancy is due to a problem situation for the child--problems at school, drugs, parents, something. So you take a child that is already in a problem situation and throw them into the criminal justice system, turning many of them into real criminals that will commit more serious crimes later on. Yeah, that makes sense.

Public School ='s prison pipeline.