Do We Have The Personnel To Win The Battle On The Line?

Forget all the other crap you hear. Top 100, Elite QB, Turner out of gas, Julio jones, etc, etc... It's great conversation but I look at this team and all I really want to know is can we win in the trenches.

I suspect we will know early in the season but this is all I really care about at this point. I can't see relying on a bunch of rookies and expect the front office to add a couple bodies (vets) before the season starts.

I think people don't give the rookies and the guys on the team enough credit. The Falcons don't need to go out and get people before the season this year like they did last. They will be smart and just stick with who is on the roster.

They should upgrade any position that they can, if they have the opportunity to do so.

Edited by Mr.Smiley

They should upgrade any position that they can, if they have the opportunity to do so.

there is no one out there in terms of OL who can upgrade right now. the most that is out there are guys like Max Starks (injured too much), Vernon Carey (while I like him, it's unlikely he comes here) and no C's are worth it.

Lamar Holmes Has a good chance to be a starter by middle of the season. He absolutely destroyed Vinny Curry when playing against him. The biggest knock on him was run blocking, which is coachable and Will Svitek nor Baker did anything good on run blocking either. Its up to the kid to learn the offense as soon as he can or he might play few snaps as reported eligible in Power running or play action passes.

Edited by falcons007

The players added to bolster the OL, in particular Konz and Holmes, look like the real deal. With the new OL coach I think it's a dead-lock certainty this group will be markedly better than it was last year in both pass and run blocking. I'm looking forward to see who emerges as starters on the OL and how well they perform in the exhibition games.

Edited by PokerSteve

I can see the RG issue being solved, not so sure about the LT position.

Not sure Hill is really an improvement over Boudreau either, but possible talent improvements with Konz/Manuwai(healthy)/Holmes this season.

Hill is a guy who in 38 years has been coaching OL for 23 years, and been a head coach for 15 years, while also coaching OL there as well. Hill is a beast of a coach and the guy you want as your OL coach.

I can see the RG issue being solved, not so sure about the LT position.

Not sure Hill is really an improvement over Boudreau either, but possible talent improvements with Konz/Manuwai(healthy)/Holmes this season.

Hill is already probably one of the best OL coaches in the entire NFL...The guy flat out knows how to get the big boys to play.

Forget all the other crap you hear. Top 100, Elite QB, Turner out of gas, Julio jones, etc, etc... It's great conversation but I look at this team and all I really want to know is can we win in the trenches.

I suspect we will know early in the season but this is all I really care about at this point. I can't see relying on a bunch of rookies and expect the front office to add a couple bodies (vets) before the season starts.

2012 will be season #

McClure 14

Mamuwai 10

Clabo 8

Svitek 8

Blalock 6

Baker 5

Reynolds 4

Johnson 3

Hawley 3

Jackson 2

Konz Rookie

Holmes Rookie

only 2 rookies

One poster said it was eye opening that Boudreau never developed any young O-line talent. No one ever broke out during his time here except for Svitek but he's not exactly a youngster at 30.

There is a small problem they carry 9 O-linemen on the active roster

but only 7 game day actives

take 2010

5 starters say Baker, Blalock, McClure, (Dahl), Clabo

plus a backup center/guard - Hawley (since he's the only other center) plus a swing tackle - Svitek.

That means Johnson and Reynolds were inactive every game. You can't "develop" when you aren't even dressed out

Secondly 2011 they had Jackson and Valdez on the PS It was Valdez's 3rd year on the PS

But when they needed a backup tackle did they activate him? No they signed Chambers.

No wonder Valdez refused to re-sign for this season.

Edited by delaigle

One poster said it was eye opening that Boudreau never developed any young O-line talent. No one ever broke out during his time here except for Svitek but he's not exactly a youngster at 30.

I think it was good just to get a fresh set of eyes. We needed open competition on the Oline. With Hill not knowing these guys (except Jackson and Harris), we should see an unbiased look at the line. Whoever the best at that position is, he will play. If that is a Vet, so be it. If that is a rookie, so be it.

Who wasn't surprised in 2008 when Harvey Dahl and Tyson Clabo started pushing guys around in the pre-season, leading to a resurgent year for our O-Line? I clearly remember Tennessee and Jacksonville (I think?) griping that our guys were playing overly aggressive and up to the whistle, if not past it. That carried over to the regular season and, lo and behold, we exceeded expectations. So, I believe we have the players, but do we have the personalities that we need to win the battle?

I believe or offensive line is going to be very strong. That will be the focus of our new line coach. They will be big, nasty and ugly. Better yet, they'll be hungry and looking to prove they aren't our weakness.