Lil Help From My Fellow Falcons Fans In Atlanta

Hey guys I just got hired to teach at a charter school in Dekalb County this fall. I'm trying to find a decent place to live. Hopefully near the school, but I hear a lot of the teachers live in Gwinnett. I was looking at Tucker, Dacatur and the Stone Mountain area. Any advice is welcomed.

Edited by red falcon

Hey guys I just got hired to teach at a charter school in Dekalb County this fall. I'm trying to find a decent place to live. Hopefully near the school, but I here a lot of the teachers live in Gwinnett. I was looking at Tucker, Dacatur and the Stone Mountain area. Any advice is welcomed.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Whats you background?

Mostly just worried about my wife living in the big city, lol. She's from Savannah, GA and my family was military. Just don't want to constantly have to look over my shoulder. If I could live in a small town atmosphere that would be great, which is what I keep hearing Tucker is. In that area anyway.

Mostly just worried about my wife living in the big city, lol. She's from Savannah, GA and my family was military. Just don't want to constantly have to look over my shoulder. If I could live in a small town atmosphere that would be great, which is what I keep hearing Tucker is. In that area anyway.

Schools in tucker are pretty crappy from what I heard though, so I wouldnt really recommend that if you have school aged kids.

Stone Mountain is really nice though.

I moved into the Metro-ATL area back in 2005, but made several visits here to do scouting trips to explore potential areas to live before I made any commitments, and I'd recommend you do the same. There are a multitude of options available, and the one that is right for you that will depend upon lots of variables, for example:

Are you looking to rent an apartment/condo/house or buy a house? If buying a house, I'd get a Realtor to help you determine which areas make sense for you--they will take you around the areas you're considering and they usually have a good insight on the areas.

Take a look at the distance between where you think you want to live and where you will work and determine how much time you want to spend commuting to/from work each day? (for both you and your wife).

Do a google search on crime statistics in the areas you're considering--they are usually done by zip code or county/city entity. Although there are certainly many nice places to live in the areas suggested by others, there are also some highly undesirable (unsafe) places--and you don't want to find yourself living in one of them.

Best of luck in your search!

Stone Mountain sucks! I lived there from 1987-1994. It was cool then but changed when a bunch of young families moved in. Now their kids are teen age and they are terrorizing the place. I would base the decision on the location of the school. If it's in East Dekalb try the Emory area. If it's in North Dekalb maybe Gwinnett County. East Dekalb not sure. South Dekalb? Stay in Savannah.