Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

There's also a couple good spots in Inman Park- Sotto Sotto, Fritti, and Il Localino. The first 2 are kinda trendy, the last has been around a little longer. All pretty good.

My boy Rudy at Alfredo's is Sicilian. Love that man; been serving me and my lady-friends drinks since I was like 15. Couple other Italians on the staff and it's definitely Italian-owned, but I'm not sure about the chefs. The busboys are mostly Mexicans, but I pretend they're extra-swarthy Sicilians.

So I no longer live in ATL but I still visit.. give me recommendations for Italian restaurants ITP.

Sotto Sotto was f'in awesome last time I went. Pricy but really good...wild mushroom risotto was off the chain. I've had a few cutomers really rave about No. 246 in downtown Decatur. I haven't been but these were trusted foodies. For classic Naples style pizza Antico off Hemp Hill Rd. is a must (seating is family style and it's not a big place but pizza is autentic).

Where'd you end up going, Billy?

I'm already planning for Labor Day weekend. Gonna try my hand at smoking some ribs for the first time. Only got an ancient Weber grill, but this is my general plan of attack (based on what I've read/seen):

-Do a dry rub on the ribs (need advice for this, RAMBLER!!! otherwise I'm gonna just buy some pre-made), maybe with a little sauce to make it stick.

-soak some wood chips and put them in a tin foil boat with holes poked in the bottom. sit that on the coals on one side, and put the dripping pan with water, and probably some beer, on the other.

-set the ribs on the grill above the pan and smoke for ~5 hours, basting with sauce a few times in between.

Anything I need to change or know? Should I get a thermometer or can I just wing it? Will I need to replace the charcoal at any point, and should I use a chimney?

Where'd you end up going, Billy?

It'll be a little while before I'm back in ATL.. was just asking for future reference. I'll likely go with one of the non-trendy suggestions.

I smoked a turkey and brisket some years back but **** if I remember anything about how I did it.

Guest Deisel

Smoked and slow cooked some ribs. I had these guys in the freezer, rub on for 30 days. Excellent.295161_4198315563569_1172634260_n.jpg

Sotto Sotto was f'in awesome last time I went. Pricy but really good...wild mushroom risotto was off the chain. I've had a few cutomers really rave about No. 246 in downtown Decatur. I haven't been but these were trusted foodies. For classic Naples style pizza Antico off Hemp Hill Rd. is a must (seating is family style and it's not a big place but pizza is autentic).

I live in Decatur and can second 246. It's very good.

Guess this is the appropriate thread to ask this question since I just scarfed down a grilled chicken salad from Chick-Fil-A.

Seriously people. Does anyone actually eat those little cherry tomatoes?? I mean I can eat pretty much anything and everything but those things I can do without.

cherry tomatoes<<<

Smoked and slow cooked some ribs. I had these guys in the freezer, rub on for 30 days. Excellent.295161_4198315563569_1172634260_n.jpg

I`m interested in the ingredients in the rub you used. I have never heard of a rub being applied for 30 days so I`m guessing it was frozen in the rub and didnt contain alot of brown sugar. Of all of the dishes I cook I am most proud of my pork ribs but I`m always looking for new ideas if you dont mind sharing.

A rub doesn't do jacksh!t on frozen meat so that was not needed. All that did is make it to where you made it into a paste upon thawing. Not that that's bad mind you, just saying that it did not permeate the meat for 30 days while frozen. Anyhoo, a basic rub is garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, salt & pepper, brown sugar. Let the sugar be your most abundant ingredient and that is what will form the bark that you want on those ribs. You can get a little creative if you want and add other spices but that basic rub is what most rubs that you buy contain. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, coat the ribs with mustard (I use Gulden's spicy brown) and then apply the rub generously. You can let sit on a counter for 30 minutes if you must or go straight to the grill. I cook low and slow at 235ish to 250ish INDIRECT for 2 hours, wrap in foil and add a little apple juice and let that go another 2 hours, remove from foil and back on the grill for another 45 minutes then cook 10 minutes DIRECT heat meat side down to crisp it up a little and add sauce in layers everry 5 minutes or so during the last 15 minutes.

Results=Killer Ribs!

A rub doesn't do jacksh!t on frozen meat so that was not needed. All that did is make it to where you made it into a paste upon thawing. Not that that's bad mind you, just saying that it did not permeate the meat for 30 days while frozen. Anyhoo, a basic rub is garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, salt & pepper, brown sugar. Let the sugar be your most abundant ingredient and that is what will form the bark that you want on those ribs. You can get a little creative if you want and add other spices but that basic rub is what most rubs that you buy contain. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, coat the ribs with mustard (I use Gulden's spicy brown) and then apply the rub generously. You can let sit on a counter for 30 minutes if you must or go straight to the grill. I cook low and slow at 235ish to 250ish INDIRECT for 2 hours, wrap in foil and add a little apple juice and let that go another 2 hours, remove from foil and back on the grill for another 45 minutes then cook 10 minutes DIRECT heat meat side down to crisp it up a little and add sauce in layers everry 5 minutes or so during the last 15 minutes.

Results=Killer Ribs! DROP DEAD RIBS

Fixed cool.png

Results=Killer Ribs!

Do you marinate your ribs? What kind of wood do you like to use when smoking your ribs? Do you glaze your ribs at the end and do you spritz?

Guess this is the appropriate thread to ask this question since I just scarfed down a grilled chicken salad from Chick-Fil-A.

Seriously people. Does anyone actually eat those little cherry tomatoes?? I mean I can eat pretty much anything and everything but those things I can do without.

cherry tomatoes<<<

Cherry tomatoes go well with slingshots.

I eat cherry tomatos on salads and sometimes on veggie trays with dips and such.

In general, regular tomatos aren't as good as they were when I was younger. Unless you shop at the right place/go to the right eating establishments or grow your own, a lot of tomato I come across suckass

I also use pork to season vegetables like beans and things, but at breakfast I usually go with turkey bacon & sausage.

I eat cherry tomatos on salads and sometimes on veggie trays with dips and such.

In general, regular tomatos aren't as good as they were when I was younger. Unless you shop at the right place/go to the right eating establishments or grow your own, a lot of tomato I come across suck.***

I also use pork to season vegetables like beans and things, but at breakfast I usually go with turkey bacon & sausage.

lk4mx.jpg

Back to cherry tomatoes. The best way to discribe my displeasure with them is that in a way they have a taste that's similar to how a garbage disposal smells. If that can even be quantified i dunno...just the best way i can put it.

Just do like a good, solid 'Murican at a salad bar and drown your cherry tomatos in ranch dressing to the point you can't taste them.

HA!!! I've done this but still doesn't cut it. Mmmmmm.....salad bar.

Remeber how good the UGA cafeteria salad bar was back in day BO. Sh*t had it all!

Yeah, but the Chick-Fil-A in Tate had regular student center food service workers and not the fastidious Christian folk like a regular Chic-Fil-A, so it was like a greasy, ghetto version of Chick-Fil-A. Was always frustrated bout that.

I never lived on campus and most of my classes were on North Campus so I usually just ate downtown in between classes, but sometimes on M/W/F :50 minute classes, there wasn't time to eat off-campus. I never did eat in a dining hall in all my years... only time I ever even went in a dorm room was to buy acid.

Yeah, but the Chick-Fil-A in Tate had regular student center food service workers and not the fastidious Christian folk like a regular Chic-Fil-A, so it was like a greasy, ghetto version of Chick-Fil-A. Was always frustrated bout that.

I never lived on campus and most of my classes were on North Campus so I usually just ate downtown in between classes, but sometimes on M/W/F :50 minute classes, there wasn't time to eat off-campus. I never did eat in a dining hall in all my years... only time I ever even went in a dorm room was to buy acid.

Most likely Creswell. My freshman year dorm....place was a 24/7 party especially 9th floor where I lived. Everything and anything was available. Good times!

The dining hall near Russell and Creswell had a mamouth salad bar and the hotties always were around it. It was a great spot to pull an excuse me bump and start a convo.