Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

Great day today...and better day tomorrow

The pork bellies will be coming out of their dry cures today... I'll do a small fry test for each to test for saltiness...and then soak them in water for 2-3 hours. They will dry and form their pellicles tonight in the fridge

Tomorrow...smoke!

Great day today...and better day tomorrow The pork bellies will be coming out of their dry cures today... I'll do a small fry test for each to test for saltiness...and then soak them in water for 2-3 hours. They will dry and form their pellicles tonight in the fridge Tomorrow...smoke!

When you bought the belly did you buy the ribs that were attached to them? The last episode on BBQ Pitmasters had them cooking pork belly and turkey. Funny thing was when they showed Johnny Trig ( the rib master ) the pork belly he was terrified until he realized there were ribs attached to the belly. That episode showed that many grill masters are actually weak in the pork belly area, but when done correctly it is an oustanding dish.

When you bought the belly did you buy the ribs that were attached to them? The last episode on BBQ Pitmasters had them cooking pork belly and turkey. Funny thing was when they showed Johnny Trig ( the rib master ) the pork belly he was terrified until he realized there were ribs attached to the belly. That episode showed that many grill masters are actually weak in the pork belly area, but when done correctly it is an oustanding dish.

That's funny :lol:

I bet he was happy to see the bones...pitmasters like them...almost need them to feel 'at home'.

You can buy the belly with bones, but I don't recommend it if your end goal for the bellies is bacon. The butcher should ask, or you should tell him/her, what you are planning to do with the belly. I got mine bone free...it looked like this:

00d2880b.jpg

Bacon is done...just need to chill and slice....this what pork belly looks like after an 8 hour cold smoke

5bfba6a0.jpg

Nothing left to do now but cut it up in thick slices and put them on my "best burger in the world recipe". Or crumble some up and put them on a baked potato with sour cream and chives. Or just take some long fried pieces and have one helluva breakfast. Your set for a while.

Thanks rounz and Rambler...I was pleased with the smoke results. Slicing and vac sealing today. Giving a good portion to my dad for fathers day...along with some of the smoked cheese I did last weekend.

By the way, did you guys hear Burger King is going to start serving pulled pork sandwiches and bacon topped ice cream?

Barbeque is huge now.

I hadn't heard that...interesting.

But I probably won't be trying it :lol:

Anybody know anything about steaming veggies? Always enjoy them at restaurants but I've never tried it and I don't think I have the right equipment to do it.

I went to a Japanese place last night and had the greatest green beans I've ever tasted. They were steamed and seemed infused with a garlicky soy flavor.

I usually parboil my green beans and then saute in chopped bacon/onion/garlic.

EDIT: I realize talking about steamed vegetables is downright gay compared to homemade bacon, but it IS Thursday...

Edited by IronBallsMcGinty

Anybody know anything about steaming veggies? Always enjoy them at restaurants but I've never tried it and I don't think I have the right equipment to do it.

I went to a Japanese place last night and had the greatest green beans I've ever tasted. They were steamed and seemed infused with a garlicky soy flavor.

EDIT: I realize talking about steamed vegetables is downright gay compared to homemade bacon, but it IS Thursday...

:lol:

Hey we meat eaters still need some veggies.

I have a small unit I use to steam corn on the cob (when the grill is too full to grill it, or when Im feeling lazy). I know corn is more of a starch than a veg, but the device works just the same...

I'll try to look it up and post a link. But its a small device...only steams 5 ears at max. Though I'm sure it would be adequate for other, smaller veggies...

What do you use to steam them with?? like what kind of equipment?

When I steam things I used the same type of water as I would ifI was blanching something........... meaning lots of salt water.

When I want some extra flavor I make an essence of something like garlic.

How I do that is heat a pan with a small amount of olive oil on high heat and then I put in smashed garlic and basically stir fry that until it starts to get dark... but no too dark because the darker garlic gets the more bitter it becomes.

then I put in cold hater into the pan causing this big sizzle and steam, I strain out the garlic, and that liquid usually has a hint of garlic flavor.

I put that in with the salt water for steaming.....It

makes a difference.

Guest Deisel

Outoor grilling at Deisels/snakes. Momma snake got me a new webber, old 1 in background, and bought ribs at Cosco. A bike ride 1st then a bunch of cooking, outdoors Style.

181327_3897582525431_133635026_n.jpg

Guest Deisel

Now this is smoking the barbecue. 556442_3899190045618_1280954796_n.jpg

Edited by Deisel

I ate 7 different animals in a 24-hour period from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon.

-Went to lunch at Southern Soul BBQ and had a pulled pork sandwich and some of my girl's smoked chicken.

-As a mid-afternoon snack I had a cold steak sandwich of rib-eye left over from the night before.

-For dinner Saturday night:

Fried Oysters (I soaked them in milk and then dredged in a mix of cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper)

Shrimp (some fried and some boiled with Old Bay and lemon)

Crab cakes (my mom makes the best on the planet)

-Then Sunday I ate a club from Larry's Giant Subs with turkey on it.

Guest Deisel

I ate 7 different animals in a 24-hour period from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon.

-Went to lunch at Southern Soul BBQ and had a pulled pork sandwich and some of my girl's smoked chicken.

-As a mid-afternoon snack I had a cold steak sandwich of rib-eye left over from the night before.

-For dinner Saturday night:

Fried Oysters (I soaked them in milk and then dredged in a mix of cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper)

Shrimp (some fried and some boiled with Old Bay and lemon)

Crab cakes (my mom makes the best on the planet)

-Then Sunday I ate a club from Larry's Giant Subs with turkey on it.

Yea, my kind of weekend.

Since I have shared my recipe for the worlds greatest burger I have decided to share my recipe for my prized fried chicken. This chicken will have the juiciness of simmered chicken, the taste of a chicken cooked in a smoker, and the deliciousness that only fried chicken can deliver. If you have a better wash and breading mixture, feel free to substitute in the fry section of this evolution.

First, the rub.

2/3 cup chili powder

1/2 cup sugar

4 tablespoons kosher salt

4 tablespoons onion powder

4 tablespoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

This is more rub than you need for this recipe so you will have plenty left over for another chicken dish.

Place the chicken in a pan and sprinkle rub on the chicken (not too liberally, about the same as you would sprinkle seasoned salt).

Let the rub sit for about 1 hour.

Pour chicken broth into the pan to the halfway mark of the chicken.

Place the chicken in a smoker and cook at 275 degrees for 1 and a half hour.

Turn the chicken over and cook for 45 more minutes.

NOTE: If you are cooking wings the cooking time in the smoker should be reduced to 1 hour on the first side, and then 30 minutes on the other side.

The wash

1 cup buttermilk

2 eggs

1 tablespoon seasoned all-salt

The breading mix

1 cup flour

2 tablespoons cornmeal

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons seasoned all-salt

Take the smoked chicken and dip it into the wash and then the breading mix. Double dip if you like thick crust.

In a pan of peanut oil (my preference) or pig lard (another preference) heated to 375 degrees drop the battered chicken into fryer and cook until crust is golden brown. This could be anywhere from 3 minutes to 6 minutes depending on the size of the chicken to the thickness of the batter. Remember to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees by using a thermometer probe.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Alfredo's>>>>>>

Alfredo's is very good.

There was a spot in Nassau Co. FLA that I've eaten at for years where the chef/proprietor was this old guy who was born in Naples. Italy, not Florida. Unfortunately this summer he decided to retire and sold the restaurant. sad.png

I prefer that my chef be a native Italian, but I'll settle for one born in the Tristate Area.