Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

come on Mcmvp we all know you have some red and black hidden in your closet.

I almost forgot...time to bring her out

bec0f7a9.jpg

But seriously...no red and black for me. I have posted here a lot over the years...but mainly because I've met good people here.

Guest Deisel

Here are some of my super amazing shrimp and grits.

the secret to good shrimp and grits??

season the shrimp with a combo of Tonys creole seasoning, some old bay , a touch of brown sugar and some freh ground black pepper and then cook in bacon fat.

I promise you you will smack your momma.... your significant others momma and every momma you come in contact with.

I'm going to make the shrimp and grits tonight. Got the bacon as well. I'll let ya know. If I scrw it up, I'll own up to it.

I need some home made bbq sauce

This homemade hickory sauce is world class.

2 tablespoons onion powder.

2 tablespoons garlic powder.

2 cups ketchup.

2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika.

2/3 cup cider vinegar.

2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce.

1/4 cip (packed) dark brown sugar.

2 tablespoons honey.

2 tablespoon maple syrup.

2 tablespoons kosher salt.

2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.

Makes about 3 1/2 cups.

Combine all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until thoroughly combined. Pour into a medium pot, and stir continuously over medium heat until heated through. Do not allow it to boil. Its better to use it while its hot, but if you let it cool and refrigerate it you can always microwave it later .

Talking about BBQ. If you're over in Lilburn, GA, try the Tipsy Pig.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tipsy-pig-bbq-lilburn

It's a small place, inside of a Shell actually, but holy pig**** does this place have some good BBQ. Pulled pork and ribs are amazing. They do it right. Smoked like it should be, large portions pulled right in front of you, and some great home made sauce, sweet and hot. Oh yeah, the stew and homemade macaroni is awesome as well.

Edited by Free Radical

Guest Deisel

Alright. I followed D56's recipe for shrimp and grits. I put the bacon in the gritz, made the Rouz, and cooked the shrimps in the bacon fat. Oh boy. He was right. 255532_3867808501099_1419268481_n.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread?

I`ve found out there are quite a few good cooks here. A couple of recipes I have picked up here have been worked into the rotation at my house. The only problem I am having is convincing the little woman to drop more of the dishes she has been making for 30 years and incorporate more new recipes into the mix. She makes great dishes but after 3 decades the menu needs to change. Touchy subject at times.

I ate like an *** hole this weekend. Saturday night made my chicken pasta with lemon-butter-wine-cream sauce, the recipe to which is on page 7, then yesterday made a crock pot salsa boston butt. The butt was great. A SUPER easy crock pot meal is a salsa roast, which I normally make with a beef pot roast but tried a boneless boston butt yesterday.

Ingredients are ridiculously simple. Get two jars of salsa (I like Pace Picante Medium), pour enough to coat the bottom of the crock pot in first. Put roast in, season to taste, then fill with remaining salsa. Set it, and hours later you have a great roast. Serve over rice. The salsa, once cooked down in the meat, makes a great "gravy."

Cap's Shrimp Fried Rice (you can sub chicken, pork, beef, whatever):

Cook 1 bag of boil in bag brown rice (or white if you prefer) per directions. Refrigerate overnight.

Prior to cooking:

1. Take rice out of fridge and break apart so rice is not clumpy.

2. Prep ingredients and have them ready. I use broccoli, water chestnuts, peas and carrots, onion and 2 eggs. I also use House of Tsang's Classic Stir Fry Sauce.

Cooking:

3. Heat up wok with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. I'm trying a new oil tomorrow night and will take a picture of the finished product too!

4. stir fry broccoli and water chestnuts first (as they take the longest to cook)

5. move to side of wok and add onions and meat.

6. when onions become somewhat translucent and meat is done move to side and scramble the eggs.

7. add peas and carrots and mix everything together. Add rice and stir fry sauce (I just wing it but I'd say 3 tablespoons to start with). Salt and pepper to taste. When thoroughly heated, it's done and ready to eat!

Key: Have all ingredients prepped and ready to go or you will burn something. Stir fry is exactly that, continously stir it or you will burn it. Brown rice has a different flavor than white (I can't even eat white rice anymore as it tastes bland to me) but is also healthier.

Guest Deisel

Man, this threads got me going. Tonite - I'm gonna flash fry some flounder, alittle lemon and Black pepper and capers. I'm gonna make restuffed potatoes - with 3 cheeses, lite sour cream, bacon bits, port wine cheese, chives, alittle butter. Gonna eat good while I can.

I`ve found out there are quite a few good cooks here. A couple of recipes I have picked up here have been worked into the rotation at my house. The only problem I am having is convincing the little woman to drop more of the dishes she has been making for 30 years and incorporate more new recipes into the mix. She makes great dishes but after 3 decades the menu needs to change. Touchy subject at times.

Same battle going on here...you are not alone.

Fight the good fight...in a nice way of course :lol:

Alright. I followed D56's recipe for shrimp and grits. I put the bacon in the gritz, made the Rouz, and cooked the shrimps in the bacon fat. Oh boy. He was right. 255532_3867808501099_1419268481_n.jpg

glad you liked it.

Another thing I do with that is sometimes I put in some yellow cornmeal into the flour dredge.

It adds a really really nice texture.

glad you liked it.

Another thing I do with that is sometimes I put in some yellow cornmeal into the flour dredge.

It adds a really really nice texture.

I have 5 pounds of large shrimp coming to me soon right of the boat...at $4 per pound...from the boat to my house.

Will try this dish...if I can find some grits in Chicago :lol:

Onto my favorite soup/stew

I LOVE chicken and dumplings... but I love potato and bacon soup.

One day in a fit of utter and incredible genius I combined the two.

If there are indeed angels....I heard them singing while showing their O face.

Sautes a half onion, 5 cloves of garlic, 3 stalks of celery, 3 large carrots cut up to medium dice. all in some olive oil until everything is soft.

Add in half a pound of cubed chicken ( I like to mix white and dark meat) and cook until almost done. Deglaze the bottom of the pan with a little white wine and chicken stock then LIBERALLY season with salt and fresh cracked, then add in some thyme, basil, rubbed sage and parsley and let cook for about half a hour uncovered Then I add 5 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped to bit sized pieces.

Cover and let cook for another 30 minutes in LOW...

To make dumplings,,, honestly I cheat and use Bisquick. But instead of just water, I add some of the broth from the above soup, milk and some melted butter. I mix the dough and then cut them into the desired pieces.... I like small bite sized and then I put them in the freezer for about half a hour. when they are just about frozen put hem in the soup and let cook for about 20-30 minutes or until tender

Then in a separate pan make a roux ( flour and butter) mix till it looks like wet sand and cook until is smells a bit like buttered popcorn.

Then add about a cup/ cup half of milk and stir until thick and smooth, season with fresh cracked pepper , garlic salt and a couple ladles of the chicken broth

After letting that cook for about 10 minutes and it is is all bubbly and awesome add the mixture to the chicken soup and stir and let simmer for another 15 minutes until everything is smooth and incorporated.

crisp up some bacon ( or some salami that works REALLY well)

Ladle soup into a bowl and sprinkle on some bacon on top and listen to the music of the heavens.

I have 5 pounds of large shrimp coming to me soon right of the boat...at $4 per pound...from the boat to my house. Will try this dish...if I can find some grits in Chicago :lol:

Grits in the midwest? surely you jest.

Honestly grits and polenta are VERY similar.. And I am sure you can find polenta there.