Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

Regular Guy, do you tenderize your steaks in any way before grilling?

BTW my father got a pull behind BBQ smoker last year, basically like this one:

lang60.jpg

Pops started watching a lot of that BBQ Pitmasters show on TLC after he got it. We had brisket, chicken and sausages last weekend.

Digging that smoker BO! As for steaks, take a shallow pan/dish and barely cover the bottom with a lager style beer. Put steaks in pan and sit on counter. Flip after 20 minutes and let sit for another 20 minutes. Remove from pan/dish and pat completely dry with paper towels. Apply light coat of cooking oil and then season with kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Grill on screaming hot grill. Eat.

Digging that smoker BO! As for steaks, take a shallow pan/dish and barely cover the bottom with a lager style beer. Put steaks in pan and sit on counter. Flip after 20 minutes and let sit for another 20 minutes. Remove from pan/dish and pat completely dry with paper towels. Apply light coat of cooking oil and then season with kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Grill on screaming hot grill. Eat.

Got a sirloin in the freezer, it's getting this treatment!

So it would have it that my Wife can cook her tail off. She would burn water when we first got married but she has come a LONG way since then :)

Her latest creation was a spiffy little taco that she made from a pork belly rubbed in some Ancho Chili powder and other things that she did a dry brine in overnight. She cooked it in two stages, 30 minutes at 500° and an hour at 275° (the benefits of having multiple cooking vessels I guess).

Here's what it looked like on the grill

1.jpg

Here it is resting

5.jpg

She made up some pickled red onions and a multi pepper salsa that she served in some Blue Corn "bowls". She took some fresh pineapple and diced into cubes and dusted in the ancho rub and sauteed in a pan. She then warmed a flour tortilla in another pan and topped it with the pork belly slices, pineapple, pickled red onions, fresh avocado slices, cilantro and queso fresco and a little lime squeeze. Served with some black beans and cilantro rice and it was MAHVELOUS!!!!

Here is a close up showing the goods :P

2.jpg

Here's a few more pics to drive the point home, lol

3.jpg

4.jpg

On 1/26/2016 at 11:56 AM, Regular Guy said:
So it would have it that my Wife can cook her tail off. She would burn water when we first got married but she has come a LONG way since then :)

Her latest creation was a spiffy little taco that she made from a pork belly rubbed in some Ancho Chili powder and other things that she did a dry brine in overnight. She cooked it in two stages, 30 minutes at 500° and an hour at 275° (the benefits of having multiple cooking vessels I guess).

Here's what it looked like on the grill

1.jpg

Here it is resting

5.jpg

She made up some pickled red onions and a multi pepper salsa that she served in some Blue Corn "bowls". She took some fresh pineapple and diced into cubes and dusted in the ancho rub and sauteed in a pan. She then warmed a flour tortilla in another pan and topped it with the pork belly slices, pineapple, pickled red onions, fresh avocado slices, cilantro and queso fresco and a little lime squeeze. Served with some black beans and cilantro rice and it was MAHVELOUS!!!!

Here is a close up showing the goods :P

2.jpg

Here's a few more pics to drive the point home, lol

3.jpg

4.jpg

Geez those look incredible !

7 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

My favorite thread!!!  Keep it coming fellas!

Off topic.  Shuswap, how are you doing?  

Doing well, keeping extremely busy but looking forward to taking some time off in the spring 

How are you doing ?

Time for a recipe. Those shrimp I cooked above were (as JJ Walker would say) DY-NO-MITE!!!

Shrimp Marinade

1/3 Cup Olive Oil

3 Garlic Cloves Chopped Fine

1/4 Cup Heinz (or similar) Chili Sauce*

2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar

2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil (or 1 Tablespoon dried basil which is what I had on hand)

1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

*Note that the Chili Sauce is NOT Sriracha!! It is more like a slightly kicked up spicy ketchup. Be sure that you use this and not Sriracha. Ketchup or Tomato Sauce can be used in its place.

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and add up to 2 pounds of RAW shrimp, peeled and deveined of course.

Coat the shrimp well and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Grill as you are accustomed to, skewers work well. Do NOT overcook as they will be rubbery, serve an eat while they're hot, once they go cold they suck!

Lastly, speaking of Jimmie "J.J." Walker, did you know that he is only 8 years younger than John Amos? John played the role of James Evans, JJ's Dad, on the show Good Times. Mind blowing isn't it? LOL

Just to show a little more behind the scenes for those steaks, here's the story :

I bought a 5.xx pound boneless rib eye and cut it into steaks. They were big suckers! I then applied coarse ground black pepper, kosher salt, a little garlic powder and a little thyme to both sides. I then placed each steak into a foodsaver bag with a pat of real butter and vacuum sealed each bag. Those bags then went into a Sous Vide bath that I set at 124° and they cooked in their own juices. I held them in that bath for about about 5 hours until I was ready to grill them. They can stay in there for days on end and never get hotter than your preset temp!

When I was ready to grill them, I removed them from the bags and dried them off thoroughly and then applied a little more Kosher salt and onto a screaming hot grilling steel they went to form a nice crust. My Wife made up a nice mushroom sauce to top them with. Each steak was cooked to med rare and they were excellent! The nice thing about cooking via Sous Vide method is that the steak cooks the same temp from edge to edge. Every bite is the same! Gotta love it.

svribeye01.jpg
svribeye02.jpg
svribeye03.jpg
svribeye04.jpg
svribeye05.jpg

svribeye06.jpg

That's gonna be good! I don't smoke Spares much, usually Baby Backs but when I do smoke Spare Ribs I cut them down into St. Louis ribs and smoke the rib tips separately, makes a great "Chef Snack" lol.

Post pics of them so I can see what I'm missing ;)

First attempt at shrimp and grits last night.  Not bad, but a little too much like étouffée (I used a roux).  Anybody got recipes for an authentic shrimp and grits recipe?  

Also slow cooking some stew meat now to make beef rendang tonight, which is one of my favorite Indonesian dishes.  Will cook some greens and homemade sambal to go with it.  Really wish I knew a place to get authentic tempeh - not the packaged generic crap at Whole Foods.  Would love to do some ayam goreng with tempeh penyet.  

No pics of anything, unfortunately.  

We're doing Texas Chili and wings for the Super Bowl next week.  Anyone got a fantastic recipe for the Texas Chili?

I'm talking straight, no tomatoes, no beans type meat and pepper stew here.

28 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

We're doing Texas Chili and wings for the Super Bowl next week.  Anyone got a fantastic recipe for the Texas Chili?

I'm talking straight, no tomatoes, no beans type meat and pepper stew here.

Doing the wings right and deep frying them I hope.  Or putting them on the grill.  Anything but baked.

Edit: Or coat the wings with the chili and grill them.

1 minute ago, Trout_Farm said:

Doing the wings right and deep frying them I hope.  Or putting them on the grill.  Anything but baked.

Edit: Or coat the wings with the chili and grill them.

Baking them in what @mdrake34 likes to call "the meat oven."

But yeah, on the grill.

1 hour ago, Trout_Farm said:

I'm doing wings for Super Bowl, also.  But I'm deep frying them and doing em buffalo style.  

We'll probably do several different styles.  And I think we've decided to do carnitas instead of Texas Chili, but that ought to be pretty good too.

I may do some chicken breasts just to keep things interesting.

On 1/29/2016 at 2:04 PM, Shuswap said:

Doing well, keeping extremely busy but looking forward to taking some time off in the spring 

How are you doing ?

Dam thread made me hungry, ready to lick the screen (my Secretary would DIE if she walked in on me licking the monitor)!

Shuswap, I know you are out there in tar sands country and the industry is in a funk right now, so I just wanted to know how you were coping.