Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

Guest Regular Guy

A little more BBQ action for ya! Brunswick Stew and a pulled pork sammie.

stewandcue01.jpg

Guest Regular Guy

I'll change it up here and show you a Chicago Deep Dish pizza I made recently.

deep07.jpg

You're going to LOVE that cold smoker! I know it's tempting to eat it as soon as you smoke it but if you REALLY want it to taste it's best, you need to vacuum pack it and let it mellow for a few weeks.

I know...but I'll do my best Tom Petty...the waiting is the hardest part...

Guest Regular Guy

The best homemade pizza I make uses a certain Iowan's recipe from another forum for the crust and then tops it with green olives, pepperoni, anchovies, and perhaps some italian sausage if I'm feeling fancy.

I'm also a big fan of some of that gub'ment cheeze, if you take my meaning.

Home made pizza is great. I use a dough recipe that's simple to make. I use 500 grams of caputo -00- pasta flour and 500 grams of king arthur bread flour (or 1000 grams of KA bread flour if I don't have the pasta flour). 20 grams salt, 630 grams cold water, 6 grams dry yeast, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp olive oil.

Put all of the ingedients in a mixer with a dough hook if you have it and run it on speed 2 until a nice dough ball is made. Divide into 2 dough balls for 2 large pizzas, 4 balls for 4 small to medium sized pizzas. Let the dough rise in an oil coated bowl for 45 minutes and punch down and let it rise again until it doubles. Then it's ready. You can also freeze these for later use.

Here is what the dough looks like when made into a Za :

newza05.jpg

Edited by Regular Guy

Home made pizza is great. I use a dough recipe that's simple to make. I use 500 grams of caputo -00- pasta flour and 500 grams of king arthur bread flour (or 1000 grams of KA bread flour if I don't have the pasta flour). 20 grams salt, 630 grams cold water, 6 grams dry yeast, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp olive oil.

Put all of the ingedients in a mixer with a dough hook if you have it and run it on speed 2 until a nice dough ball is made. Divide into 2 dough balls for 2 large pizzas, 4 balls for 4 small to medium sized pizzas. Let the dough rise in an oil coated bowl for 45 minutes and punch down and let it rise again until it doubles. Then it's ready. You can also freeze these for later use.

Here is what the dough looks like when made into a Za :

newza05.jpg

I've made homemade pizza literally 60-70 times. But I've always used my bread machine on the dough setting to make it...would like to try more traditional methods like yours.

I did bring back a couple bottles of NYC tap water from my last visit there...wanted to experiment to see if their dough really does taste that good because of the city water. It actually was noticeably better than my normal dough...probably the best dough ive made thus far....but still not on par with Lombardi's.

Guest Regular Guy

Here is what my "Outdoor kitchen" looks like for now. I also have a stainless steel gasser not in the pic. I plan on making a more permanent solution here soon. I am having some trees cut down and some grading done and I will move it out to it's own patio with a pergola, but for now here is where the magic happens, under my deck.

kegs01.jpg

Guest Regular Guy

I've made homemade pizza literally 60-70 times. But I've always used my bread machine on the dough setting to make it...would like to try more traditional methods like yours.

I did bring back a couple bottles of NYC tap water from my last visit there...wanted to experiment to see if their dough really does taste that good because of the city water. It actually was noticeably better than my normal dough...probably the best dough ive made thus far....but still not on par with Lombardi's.

I sometimes cheat and don't make my own sauce but my favorite to make is my BBQ chicken pizza. I cook it on a pizza stone in my smoker and it's killer!

bbqcknpizza02.jpg

I'll change it up here and show you a Chicago Deep Dish pizza I made recently.

deep07.jpg

That looks good but a bit heavy on sauce for my taste.

that is my one problem with deep dish pizza, normally the sauce is piled way too thick........gives me heartburn something fierce.

Here are some of my super amazing shrimp and grits.

the secret to good shrimp and grits??

season the shrimp with a combo of Tonys creole seasoning, some old bay , a touch of brown sugar and some freh ground black pepper and then cook in bacon fat.

I promise you you will smack your momma.... your significant others momma and every momma you come in contact with.

post-180800-0-89047300-1339262886_thumb.

Guest Deisel

Here is what my "Outdoor kitchen" looks like for now. I also have a stainless steel gasser not in the pic. I plan on making a more permanent solution here soon. I am having some trees cut down and some grading done and I will move it out to it's own patio with a pergola, but for now here is where the magic happens, under my deck.

kegs01.jpg

Man, Thats a good set up.

Guest Deisel

Here are some of my super amazing shrimp and grits.

the secret to good shrimp and grits??

season the shrimp with a combo of Tonys creole seasoning, some old bay , a touch of brown sugar and some freh ground black pepper and then cook in bacon fat.

I promise you you will smack your momma.... your significant others momma and every momma you come in contact with.

I do love shrimp and grits. Best I've had is in low country, SC, down near Buford. I can't quite get the sauce right.

Guest Deisel

Most butchers can get their hands on a pork belly for you in a day or two...but it's usually something you have to place a special order for...not a huge demand (because not enough people realize how easy and how good homemade bacon is)

Cheap too...about $3 per pound. I bought the whole slab this time...but I did have him take the rind off for me. Some cure and smoke with it on and remove it after (and save for soups and stocks)...I may do it that way next time.

I'm gonna try making it. I love bacon and to make it myself would be fantastic. Thanks for the recipes.

Guest Deisel

Epic, I tried your cooking technique for my NY Strips last nite. Then used crab meat and melted Gargonzola on top. Probably not as good as yours though, the meat wasn't that good a selection. But, yummy.

547845_3862287083067_1373152835_n.jpg

I do love shrimp and grits. Best I've had is in low country, SC, down near Buford. I can't quite get the sauce right.

That is good stuff but I like it to be fairly simple.

good fresh shrimp seasoned right with bacon and creamy grits and that is all you need.

But if you want to do a "sauce"

Take the pan you cooked the shrimp in which should have a little bacon fat and flour left in it.... mix to make it like a roux and then add some chicken stock, sale, pepper, a squeeze of lemon and some of the creole seasoning and old bay and let it thicken. and that is a **** fine sauce to put over it.

but If you do the grits right and make them creamy the way the universe requires them to be then no real sauce is needed.

Making my chicken with lemon-butter-wine-cream sauce pasta tonight.

Start with chicken tenders (or chicken cutlets like I'm having to use tonight since they were out of tenders) and brown till almost done. Set aside and cover in foil.

Dice one medium white onion, saute with diced garlic till its sweats out. I like adding mushrooms at this point, but the fiance doesn't care for them so I've begun skipping this step. Then add one stick of herb butter (normal is fine, just have to add italian seasoning) and melt that down. Add one to one and a half cups room temperature white wine (I like pinot grigio), then slowly add in one to one and a half cups of heavy whipping cream. While bringing up to a good simmer, slice at least 6 lemons in half and squeeze all of the juice and pulp that you can into the sauce. If you haven't already, add italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cut up the chicken and add it back to the sauce, let cook 30-45 minutes. Serve over linguine. Drink rest of bottle of white wine. Get tender with special lady.

It's even better the next day if you put the leftover sauce on the leftover noodles in the fridge. Good drunk food.

Guest Deisel

D56 I'm gonna try that. That's simple and sounds delicious. I'm sure your not using instant gritz. The rouz sound good. I must have missed the bacon addition. That's key. Thanks.

D56 I'm gonna try that. That's simple and sounds delicious. I'm sure your not using instant gritz. The rouz sound good. I must have missed the bacon addition. That's key. Thanks.

I try not to use instant grits but I have.,

honestly I usually use just 5 minute quick grits..... treated right they are very tasty.

I live by the motto that if you feel something is missing......just add bacon.

Guest Deisel

I try not to use instant grits but I have.,

honestly I usually use just 5 minute quick grits..... treated right they are very tasty.

I live by the motto that if you feel something is missing......just add bacon.

That sounds abt right. I'm also gonna try making my own bacon, as described in this thread. 2 things that can bring us all together. Well, maybe 3. Food, falcons and chicks. We can all relate.

Guest Regular Guy

That looks good but a bit heavy on sauce for my taste.

that is my one problem with deep dish pizza, normally the sauce is piled way too thick........gives me heartburn something fierce.

It looks like more sauce than is actually on it. When I cut the pizza it smears the sauce along the sides. It had close to 2 pounds of cheese on it so the sauce was not light but enough to offset all of the cheese. I feel you on the heartburn though! I have to take meds for it when I indulge in such as pizza!