Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

My lady made me Paula Deen's "Not yo Mama's" Banana Pudding recipe for my birthday and I have to say it was beyond addictive. Absolutely incredible and I'm not much of a dessert person.

Ingredients

• 2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
  • 6 to 8 bananas, sliced
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Directions

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

The wife just made this. 5 stars.

I expect a full report from all of the serious grillers on what went well and lessons learned from this past weekend. The only issue I had was eliminating the moisture pan on my smoker for the burgers because I needed the rack space. Big mistake. If you are going to smoke your food it will come out a lot more tender if you use a moisture pan.

For those who are asking I took the time to write up, not so much a recipe but just basic idea of it. feel free to play with it and add as much or as little of the ingredients as you want.

For the egg wash

combine eggs and heavy cream ( 2 to 1 ratio egg to cream)

Cinnamon

pinch of salt ( very very important)

brown sugar

Vanilla extract

orange juice and zest

for the crust crushed up graham crackers or you can use cinnamon toast crunch cereal or if you really want an interesting depth of flavor some crushed peanutbutter crunch ceral works REALLY well here.

for filling Mas capon cheese

You can use canned pie filling but I normally like to make it from scratch

If you do it from scratch just slice up some granny smith apples really thin

cooked down with seasonings above + a pinch of nutmeg till soft and let cool before using filling. ( mix in some of caramel sauce made below)

for caramel sauce:

Equal parts water and white sugar cooked till caramelized( do this on lower heat sugar+high heat =burn, add in some butter till melted then wisk in warm milk/cream till sauce is consistency that you like.... I like mine on the thinner side but that is up to you.

You can use white bread but just cut the crust off

There are 2 ways of doing it, you can cook both pieces of french toast and then just add the filling in the middle

OR you can take the two pieces put in the filling and use some of the mas capon around the edges and crimp with a fork ( ends up looking like like a ravioli)

To assemble:

Dredge the bread in the egg wash then coat in Graham Cracker crumbs and cook till browned to sticking on a pan on MEDIUM heat,

With the sugar content in this , this will burn like a mofo if the heat is too high.

If you do the "stuffed" ( crimped) method you want to let it cook a couple extra minutes on lower heat.

I also like to make some vanilla flavored whipped cream to put on top

Just put a dollop(sp) of the whipped cream and drizzle caramel sauce on top for your liking. Garnish with a couple candied walnuts and you have stuffed caramel apple french toast.

You can do substitutions like just plain cream cheese, 2 % milk instead of cream and sugar substitutes (splenda ect) It is still good but not at the level of this.

Can't see how this would be bad...nice one!

I expect a full report from all of the serious grillers on what went well and lessons learned from this past weekend. The only issue I had was eliminating the moisture pan on my smoker for the burgers because I needed the rack space. Big mistake. If you are going to smoke your food it will come out a lot more tender if you use a moisture pan.

Weather and being borderline drunk by 2pm prevented me from doing too much cooking. I did grill some tuna steaks and asparagus. Never bought the smoker or did anything exciting.

On the restaurant tip, went to the new steakhouse on SSI called Island Chop House. Highly recommend. Prime cuts and a nice atmosphere. Had some lamb chops which were excellent. Still not dethroning Blackwater Grill as the best restaurant of the Golden Isles, but **** good.

I`m weak in that area. Interested to see how this works out for you.

I will let you know how it performs...

I hope to get it soon, but it may not be until Father's Day

I began curing 10 pounds of pork belly today.  Put cure#1 on the entire belly and then cut it into quarters.  In a week I'll rinse them off, test them...and then cold smoke...in 8-9 days...homemade bacon! Making 4 varieties:

1.  Basic cure...kosher salt, brown sugar, and crushed black pepper

2.  Kosher salt, brown sugar, grated nutmeg, thyme, crushed bay leaves, crushed black pepper, and maple syrup

3.  Same as #2 but with crushed garlic and allspice added

4.  Kosher salt, brown sugar, crushed black pepper, minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (and a little extra adodo sauce), and honey

Not sure how these will turn out, especially #4...but I guess I'll find out.

Anyone make their own bacon before...and if so did you experiment with flavors in the bacon cures at all?  What were the results?

I began curing 10 pounds of pork belly today. Put cure#1 on the entire belly and then cut it into quarters. In a week I'll rinse them off, test them...and then cold smoke...in 8-9 days...homemade bacon! Making 4 varieties:

1. Basic cure...kosher salt, brown sugar, and crushed black pepper

2. Kosher salt, brown sugar, grated nutmeg, thyme, crushed bay leaves, crushed black pepper, and maple syrup

3. Same as #2 but with crushed garlic and allspice added

4. Kosher salt, brown sugar, crushed black pepper, minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (and a little extra adodo sauce), and honey

Anyone make their own bacon before...and if so did you experiment with flavors in the bacon cures at all? What were the results?

My money is on number one. What kind of wood are you using?

My money is on number one. What kind of wood are you using?

Mine is on #2

Going with apple...

Here is the basic cure picture:

e492c2a4.jpg

Mine is on #2

Going with apple...

Here is the basic cure picture:

e492c2a4.jpg

Dang dude, that looks freaking outstanding!

Applewood is about as good as it gets, I have to settle for cherry and hickory in my parts. I have started to really like the smell and taste of pecan too. If I could get more applewood I would try mixing it with pecan. You might want to try it too.

Guest Deisel

My parents were very good cooks and chicken and veal Piccata and Marsala is a family favorite. My moms had a couple recipes published and our Garlic steak and ceaszar salad are Lights out.- Can't forget our Bloody Mary's - Its tough staying lean with all these recipes in my head.

Ceazsar salads - Key is good Romaine lettuce - Gotta have a wooden bowl for mixing - Never wash it with soap - 1st, use anchovie paste, spread with spoon around bowl- Fresh garlic cloves, pressed thru a presser - add raw egg, micing all as you go - Red wine vinegar and olive oil come next - salt and pepper - add parmisian cheese to sauce - add croutons then lettuce - Mix well - All ingredients depend on how many servings your looking at. BONUS - add grilled chicken or steak - Awesome meal......

Ribs, Veal, steaks, Chicken in Mushroom gravy, etc, at Deisels house.

Guest Deisel

Any body got any good ribs recipes

Baby back for starters - Use a good spice rub with peppers and salts. Let the meat sweat. Use a charcoal grill for best results and use soaked wood chips to smoke, frequently, fire off to 1 side. Stand ribs up on ends, don't sauce till an hour till the end. Usually takes abt 4 hours. Take off and wrap in tinfoil for 30 minutes.

Guest Deisel

I began curing 10 pounds of pork belly today. Put cure#1 on the entire belly and then cut it into quarters. In a week I'll rinse them off, test them...and then cold smoke...in 8-9 days...homemade bacon! Making 4 varieties:

1. Basic cure...kosher salt, brown sugar, and crushed black pepper

2. Kosher salt, brown sugar, grated nutmeg, thyme, crushed bay leaves, crushed black pepper, and maple syrup

3. Same as #2 but with crushed garlic and allspice added

4. Kosher salt, brown sugar, crushed black pepper, minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (and a little extra adodo sauce), and honey

Anyone make their own bacon before...and if so did you experiment with flavors in the bacon cures at all? What were the results?

Pork belly? do you get it cut by the butcher?

Ok here's a restaurant recommendation for very well done authentic Italian here in Atlanta.

Sotto Sotto (Innman Park area). Go there. You will not be dissapoint I guarentee.

http://www.allmenus.com/ga/atlanta/23475-sotto-sotto/menu/

Last time I had: Pepata di Cozze (Mussels, lemon, olive oil, calabrese peppers), Farro Insalate (Farro, heirloom tomatoes, celery, cucumber, red wine vinegar, olive oil), Risotto Ai Funghi (Carnaroli rice, wild mushrooms, reggiano), and to finish Costoletta di Vitello (Oak roasted veal, wild mushrooms, natural jus).

Just wow all the way around! It aint cheap but it's well worth it if you're craving a nice night out and amazing Italian cuisine.