Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

I saw this video on You Tube where this guy does a good variation of Mixons "Cupcake Chicken". Might have to switch up on a couple of details.

This is part one of the video. Part two is an easy search.

Yes it is a good thread now stop being a doosh.

Now back to the thread............

If you want a good appetizer for a party do some philly cheese steak poppers.

I found the easiest way is to get those large pepperoncinis (sp) cut the tops off and stuff them with the following.

1 onion,

1 shallot

1 half red and 1 half yellow bell pepper all minced fine sauteed till tender then put on very thinly sliced rib eye ( sliced thin and chopped finely)

some salt, pepper, granulated garlic and some oregano, to taste then add a mixture of parm,provolone, and Monterrey jack cheeses, and let melt over the meat and veggies.

Let cool then stuff into the pepperoncinis.

if you want to fry them dust the pepperoncinis with corn starch then do a standard breading ( flour, eggwash bread crumbs)

OR........... you can take some pizza dough and wrap the peppers in that then bake them...THAT is awesome

i make man food, deal with it, martha.

you'd hit it and you know it.

rachael-ray.jpg

**** yeah, because i like it raw. oh baby i like it rawwwww Edited by The Delegate

Now back to the thread............

If you want a good appetizer for a party do some philly cheese steak poppers.

I found the easiest way is to get those large pepperoncinis (sp) cut the tops off and stuff them with the following.

1 onion,

1 shallot

1 half red and 1 half yellow bell pepper all minced fine sauteed till tender then put on very thinly sliced rib eye ( sliced thin and chopped finely)

some salt, pepper, granulated garlic and some oregano, to taste then add a mixture of parm,provolone, and Monterrey jack cheeses, and let melt over the meat and veggies.

Let cool then stuff into the pepperoncinis.

if you want to fry them dust the pepperoncinis with corn starch then do a standard breading ( flour, eggwash bread crumbs)

OR........... you can take some pizza dough and wrap the peppers in that then bake them...THAT is awesome

That recipe has "Superbowl" written all over it. Might be a good dish to serve to some starving jet skiers before dinner.

That recipe has "Superbowl" written all over it. Might be a good dish to serve to some starving jet skiers before dinner.

Not this past but the 08 super bowl between the steelers and the cards I made them they were awesome.

I have used fresh peppers but that vinegar bite really makes a difference.

Homemade banana pudding (grandma's recipe). Your family will ******* love you.

Banana Pudding

For Large:

5 ½ cups milk

1 1/3 cups sugar

½ cup cornstarch

6 eggs (separated)

2 TSP vanilla extract

1 box nilla wafers

For Small:

3 ½ cups milk

2/3 cups sugar

1/3 cup cornstarch

4 eggs (separated)

1 TSP vanilla extract

1 box nilla wafers

Mix sugar & cornstarch gradually add milk & cook on low to medium heat until hot

Add beaten egg yolks & continue cooking, stirring constantly until desired thickness (not too think or pudding will be too dry)

Line Baking dish with nilla wafers, bottom & sides.

Slice about 2 banana’s

Add one half of pudding

Add another layer of wafers & banana & remainder of pudding

Beat egg whites until stiff adding 8 TBSP sugar (12 for large) & 1 TSP Vanilla

Bake at 375 in oven until brown (approx 15 mins)

One more for good measure. Possibly my favorite.

Blueberry muffins from scratch.

For Large: makes 16

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 egg

3/4 cup milk or buttermilk

4 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 cup fresh blueberries

Optional: 2 TSP vanilla extract

For Small: makes 8

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1/3 cup milk or buttermilk

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup fresh blueberries

Optional: 1 TSP vanilla extract

Optional Crumb Topping:

1/2 cup white sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup butter, cubed

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

My one year old daughter LOVES these things, and so do pretty much everyone else that's tried them. Funny thing is, they really are easy to make.

mdrake34's jambalaya:

Start with 8 chicken thighs, skin on. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic. Brown to get skin cripy, then remove and cover in foil. One-two packages of andoullie sausage, slice, then brown. Remove and cover.

Next, get one large white onion and one-two large green bell peppers. Dice them. Start a roux in a large pot by heating canola oil and flour, stirring frequently until roux is a nice, medium brown. Add in onion and bell peppers and sweat them out a few minutes. Then add one or two (i like more tomatoes) 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes. Salt, pepper, diced garlic, cayenne pepper. Let cook down 30 minutes, stirring constantly. Add several dashes hot sauce, several dashes worcestershire sauce. Add chicken and sausage back to pot, then add 2 quarts of chicken stock. Add one to two beers. Bring to boil, then add at least a 1/2 pound of uncooked rice (not instant) in. Stir constantly. Reduce to medium heat. Cook until majority of liquid is absorbed into rice. This will take at least another hour and a half. Serve hot with a **** load of hot sauce and cold beer. Enjoy.

My lady made me Paula Deen's "Not yo Mama's" Banana Pudding recipe for my birthday and I have to say it was beyond addictive. Absolutely incredible and I'm not much of a dessert person.

Ingredients

• 2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
  • 6 to 8 bananas, sliced
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Directions

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Here's how I did that chili last weekend:

1 lb. ground beef

1 lb. chorizo fino

1 lb. ground lamb (this was an experiment- usually I use 1 lb ground pork or just 2 lb ground beef)

1.5 lb cheap steak (chuck or flank)

1 large white onion

2 jalapeno peppers

1 large cubanelle or poblano pepper

2 habanero peppers

1 red bell pepper

1 green bell pepper

1 bigass can of diced tomatoes (Rotel is fine)

1 bigass can tomato sauce

1 can diced green chiles

3 cans beans (I use red kidney, great northern, and navy or pinto)

1 large can corn

1/4 cup chili powder

1 tablespoon oregano

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

dash of garlic powder

dash of onion powder

dash of cumin

dash of hot sauce (Tabasco)

1 bay leaf

1/3 can beer (usually something cheap like Miller or Tecate)

De-seed the peppers and dice the onions/peppers. Combine beans, corn, peppers, chiles, half of the onion, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in large slow cooker crockpot and set to low heat. Stir in spices and hot sauce. In a large pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef/pork/lamb and the other half of the onion. Drain grease and add meat to crockpot. Heat a pan to high heat with a little oil and sear the flank steak for approx. 1 minute per side, leaving it completely rare inside (meat will cook further in the crockpot). Slice steak into thin strips and add to crockpot. Remove chorizo from casings and fry in a pan over medium heat for approx. 10 min. Drain grease and add chorizo to crockpot. Add beer and stir.

You can use tomato juice to thin it, or tomato paste to thicken it to desired consistency. Allow to cook for 8-10 hours over low heat, stirring every couple hours. Serve topped with shredded cheese, diced onion, and sour cream, with cornbread.

I can't take credit for this recipe- came from a family friend. We've been doing this as a side-dish for Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas for years and people go nuts for it, even if they don't like collards or grits.

Grits and Greens Casserole

2 cups whipping cream or half and half

8 cups chicken broth, divided

2 cups grits – NOT instant or quick cooking

1 large bag of frozen collard greens

2 sticks butter

2-1/2 cups Parmesan cheese

½ tsp fresh ground pepper

1 cup cooked and cooled crumbled bacon

Grease 13 x 9” casserole. Combine cream and 6 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in grits and cook over medium heat until grits return to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and stir frequently to keep from burning, 25-30 minutes. Add milk if necessary to thicken to proper consistency. If you’re Southern, you will know what that is; if not, think of slightly runny oatmeal.

While grits are cooking, cook collards in remaining 2 cups of chicken broth, until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well, and squeeze out all liquid.

Add butter, Parmesan cheese and pepper to the cooked grits, and stir until butter is melted. Stir in the cooked greens, and spoon into greased casserole. Top with additional Parmesan and crumbled bacon. Can be served at room temperature or after heating in 350 degree oven until browned on top.

If you want to rock out some breakfast.

take 4 cups of grits

2cups of water and 4 cups of milk or heavy cream and a table spoon or 3 of butter

Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring liquid to a simmer then add the grits and stir until grits are done ( 15-20 mins)

Once grits are done.

Take 4 large potatoes and par cook either via boiling or by microwave/

Once they are fork tender put them in an ice bath to help them cool then slice them about a 1/4 inch thick rounds.

Then take a sauce pan and saute a whole shallot, a half of onion minced, 3 cloves of garlic minced and a jalapeno minced.... once the aromatics are soft cook brown up bacon and sausage about a pound each.

cook the potatoes in with them until they have a nice golden color in the bacon and aromatics .

Then take a cake pan and put a ladle full of grits on the bottom then layer some potatoes and bacon mix. put a handful of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese... then add more grits make a layer and repeat.

On the last layer take some really sharp cheddar cheese then bake in over for 15 minutes until the cheese is is melted and golden brown.

Thank me later

If you want to rock out some breakfast.

take 4 cups of grits

2cups of water and 4 cups of milk or heavy cream and a table spoon or 3 of butter

Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring liquid to a simmer then add the grits and stir until grits are done ( 15-20 mins)

Once grits are done.

Take 4 large potatoes and par cook either via boiling or by microwave/

Once they are fork tender put them in an ice bath to help them cool then slice them about a 1/4 inch thick rounds.

Then take a sauce pan and saute a whole shallot, a half of onion minced, 3 cloves of garlic minced and a jalapeno minced.... once the aromatics are soft cook brown up bacon and sausage about a pound each.

cook the potatoes in with them until they have a nice golden color in the bacon and aromatics .

Then take a cake pan and put a ladle full of grits on the bottom then layer some potatoes and bacon mix. put a handful of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese... then add more grits make a layer and repeat.

On the last layer take some really sharp cheddar cheese then bake in over for 15 minutes until the cheese is is melted and golden brown.

Thank me later

Have you ever cooked grits, mixed in some diced tomatoes and green chili`s, and thrown bacon bits on top? Cheap, simple, and effective.

Have you ever cooked grits, mixed in some diced tomatoes and green chili`s, and thrown bacon bits on top? Cheap, simple, and effective.

I have not done that...... but I have done something similar.

I am of the mind set that if you add good green chilis and bacon to a flip flop it would be awesome.

Speaking of chilis

My green chili chicken enchiladas nacho's

get 3 large cans of chillies ( if you can find fresh great but fresh can be expensive and can be seasonal)

In a large stock pot sweat 2 shallots, 1 whole large onion and 4 cloves of garlic. in some olive oil once those are soft put in 5 large chicken breasts that have been cubed and cook until nice and brown, add in some oregano, slat, fresh cracked pepper, cumin and paprika and hte zest of half a lime.

Once chicken is browned add in the cans of chillies and a couple cups of chicken stock with, some of the same season mix and you put on chicken, add about the juice of 2 lime let cook for about a hour on low heat.

After a hour add 1 cup of rice and let cook into rice ( this really makes a differences as far as texture)

To serve layer over some hint of lime chips with shredded Monterrey jack cheese and top with some fresh cut tomatoes and cilantro (optional).

Sometimes instead of shredded cheese I make a cheese sauce to go with it..... but I think I like the shredded cheese better.