Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

Chili is one of those things you can throw whatever makes you happy in to it, everybody has a recipe. The chili me and my wife have made over the years is terrible. I absolutely can't stand it. I used to like it, it's very very mild like a Wendy's chili, but I've grown sick of it's wateryness (I just made that word up). It's not thick enough for me and it's just too **** watery and tasteless for me. My daughter, son and wife ALL do not like ground beef. They prefer to have a beefless chili and would prefer no onions as well. Well if you take beef and onions out of chili what the **** else is there to eat? I'll tell you, beans and freaking chili flavored water! LOL

A buddy of mine has sent me his recipe for chili and I KNOW I would love it, but I would be the only one eating it. He has won chili cookoffs with the recipe in Louisiana so I know it's got to be good! Maybe I'll make a pot of it and freeze the rest so it doesn't go to waste since I am the only one who would eat it.

This is what it looks like :

DSC01280.jpg

Keep a container of masa around and add it it to the chili a bit at a time to thicken it up.

Keep a container of masa around and add it it to the chili a bit at a time to thicken it up.

I've never eaten this recipe (the photo I posted) but it's won awards so I think I'd leave it as is. As for the masa, not for me, adds a corn taste to the chili. Fine if you like frito pie I guess. I'd use corn starch instead or just crumble in some saltines. that takes care of it too!

I'm doing the usual, smoking a turkey. It's a long process - brine it for 24 hours, dry it out in the fridge for 2 days (makes the skin crispy), inject it with creole butter and rub compound herb butter on and under the skin, apply a rub and smoke it with apple wood. Ever since the first one I made like this everybody wants me to smoke a turkey for the holidays. I am not a huge fan of turkey but these are dang near perfect and make great sandwiches too.

tdayturkey02.jpg

My wife makes great dressing to go with it and I'll be making a pan of 8 cheese mac'n cheese and some yeast rolls. There'll be some other stuff like sweet potato souffle and some veggies. It's gonna be good!

I've never eaten this recipe (the photo I posted) but it's won awards so I think I'd leave it as is. As for the masa, not for me, adds a corn taste to the chili. Fine if you like frito pie I guess. I'd use corn starch instead or just crumble in some saltines. that takes care of it too!

I don't typically use it because my chili is usually pretty thick, but I have used it on occasion, and I don't really notice a corn flavor. I don't use a lot of it and it's cut with water so maybe that's why. I also always serve it with corn bread or fritos so maybe I'm just not noticing it with the other corn flavored accompaniments.

Right now I got some deboned beef short ribs braising in marsala wine (the good **** you can actually drink, not the crap at the grocery store), mushrooms, diced tomatoes, garlic, and fresh herbs. Add parmesan and cream at the end to make it like a creamy marsala sauce, and serve it over tortellini.

It's a total rip-off off a dish they make at Olive Garden, but I've taken all the copycat recipes on the web and added my own changes to make it 10x better.

As for Thanksgiving, I'm just doing a couple sides- collard greens with ham-hocks, and roasted brussels sprouts. I'll help with other stuff, I'm sure. The turkey has always been my dad's duty, but a couple years ago we youngins revolted and started making him change it up so it's not so dry. Wrap that bird in butter-soaked cheesecloth and cook it upside down for the first part.

I'm doing the usual, smoking a turkey. It's a long process - brine it for 24 hours, dry it out in the fridge for 2 days (makes the skin crispy), inject it with creole butter and rub compound herb butter on and under the skin, apply a rub and smoke it with apple wood. Ever since the first one I made like this everybody wants me to smoke a turkey for the holidays. I am not a huge fan of turkey but these are dang near perfect and make great sandwiches too.

tdayturkey02.jpg

My wife makes great dressing to go with it and I'll be making a pan of 8 cheese mac'n cheese and some yeast rolls. There'll be some other stuff like sweet potato souffle and some veggies. It's gonna be good!

im bout to buy a new smoker. You seem to know your stuff. Any suggestions?

Right now I got some deboned beef short ribs braising in marsala wine (the good **** you can actually drink, not the crap at the grocery store), mushrooms, diced tomatoes, garlic, and fresh herbs. Add parmesan and cream at the end to make it like a creamy marsala sauce, and serve it over tortellini.

It's a total rip-off off a dish they make at Olive Garden, but I've taken all the copycat recipes on the web and added my own changes to make it 10x better.

As for Thanksgiving, I'm just doing a couple sides- collard greens with ham-hocks, and roasted brussels sprouts. I'll help with other stuff, I'm sure. The turkey has always been my dad's duty, but a couple years ago we youngins revolted and started making him change it up so it's not so dry. Wrap that bird in butter-soaked cheesecloth and cook it upside down for the first part.

Welp, Mrs. mdrake34, little mdrake34, Waylon and myself are coming to the McGinty family thanksgiving.

Lou, a Big Green Egg is a great smoker/grill as is the Broil King Keg (or in my case, the Big Steel Keg - same thing, different name). If you aren't looking to spend too much to get a kamado style smoker like the BGE, BSK, Kamado Joe, Primo, etc... you can buy a Char-Griller Akorn. It's an entry level kamado and it cooks just as good as the others. It's not going to last you a lifetime but it will last you for years and if you like it you can always upgrade to something better.

Another option is to get a pellet smoker like a Traeger. They make consistent 'cue and are real easy to learn how to use. Here are some of their models, the cheapest clocking in at only $399.00! http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills

I have two of these : http://www.hardwareonlinestore.com/outdoor-living-and-furniture/grills-outdoor-cookers/charcoal-grills_86802/broil-king-keg-grill-detail?gclid=CK2dvq3i67oCFeHm7AodmBUA5Q

Then there's the Akorn : http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-6719_4294857763%2B4294961701__?productId=3609214&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Char-Griller

or spend a few more bucks and get this one from Home Depot : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-204151650&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=204151650&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UoiwF_nrxwE

I have used all types of smokers and at this point, I am very happy with the food I can turn out on my kamados. They use A LOT less fuel (lump charcoal) than my old side box style smoker and they hold heat really well so it saves me a ton of money by being so super efficient. I can do a 24 hour cook with about 4 pounds of lump charcoal versus using about 30 pounds on a side box smoker.

For those making turkeys, if you want a sure fire way to keep it moist I have one for ya. First of all cook it the first 3/4 of the time upside down. That way all of the juice that would normally leak out actually leaks into the breast meat instead. Also if you put about an inch of chicken or turkey broth at the bottom of the pan it will steam it as it cooks which also helps in keeping it moist. One last tip to add great flavor. Make a mixture of 1 stick of butter, two fresh sprigs of rosemary, 3 cloves of garlic, about a teaspoon of lemon zest and salt and pepper. Rub this delicious concoction under the skin, on top of the meat. It will soak down into the meat as it cooks and makes it delicious.