Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

1,639 posts in this topic

Dang dude, that looks freaking outstanding!

Applewood is about as good as it gets, I have to settle for cherry and hickory in my parts. I have started to really like the smell and taste of pecan too. If I could get more applewood I would try mixing it with pecan. You might want to try it too.

Thanks...this is what the chipotle/honey one looks like

image.jpg

Peach is also a great wood to use and mix in...as well as cherry.

Sotto Sotto's nice. Been there a couple times.

My favorite Italian joint is Alfredo's on Cheshire Bridge. Real old-school kind of place. Get the escargot and the "Padrino"- three different cuts of veal- Parmesan, Marsala, and Francese. Amazing pasta dishes and dank steaks, too. Ask for my boy Rudy ("like-a Guiliani, but-a not political"). Great guy.

Pork belly? do you get it cut by the butcher?

Most butchers can get their hands on a pork belly for you in a day or two...but it's usually something you have to place a special order for...not a huge demand (because not enough people realize how easy and how good homemade bacon is)

Cheap too...about $3 per pound. I bought the whole slab this time...but I did have him take the rind off for me. Some cure and smoke with it on and remove it after (and save for soups and stocks)...I may do it that way next time.

Sotto Sotto's nice. Been there a couple times.

My favorite Italian joint is Alfredo's on Cheshire Bridge. Real old-school kind of place. Get the escargot and the "Padrino"- three different cuts of veal- Parmesan, Marsala, and Francese. Amazing pasta dishes and dank steaks, too. Ask for my boy Rudy ("like-a Guiliani, but-a not politihcal"). Great guy.

Nice! Will do.

Gramma's Pasta Fazool

(fast method: pasta and sauce not from scratch)

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced

1 carrot, diced

1 celery stalk, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 8 oz can delmonte tomato sauce

approx 3 cups of chicken broth

1 packaged of diced prosciutto or pancetta

2 - 15 oz cans of cannelini beans

2 bay leaves

pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning

salt and pepper, to taste

5-6 basil leaves

1 rind parmigiano reggiano (optional)

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 pound of orrechiette pasta or any small shape

Directions:

In a large saucepan saute prosciutto in extra virgin olive oil. When browned add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Season with salt and pepper and lower heat. Sweat tha veggies until tha onions are translucent. Add bay leaves, italian seasoning, red pepper, delmonte, 1 can of beans drained and 1 can drained and rinsed (You want some of tha starch 2 thicken tha sauce but not 2 much) and tha chicken broth. Cover and let mixture come 2 a boil, then add tha basil and cheese rind if you are using it. Let cook for 10 minutes or so or until veggies are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning according 2 your taste.

In another pot cook pasta in boiling water. When pasta is just under al dente add 2 saucepan using a slotted spoon. (Some of tha starchy water will fill tha pasta and help create a tasty thick sauce). Toss tha pasta with tha beans and sauce and let cook a minute until pasta is al dente.

Mangia!

Do you use a rub on your steaks and how do you cook them, direct or indirect heat.

I only use kosher salt and pepper as a rub for steaks. This steak was cooked on a direct flame and then rested for 10 minutes with a foil cover. I have another method of cooking smaller steaks which mimics Ruths Chris steaks. Ruths Chris uses an oven that cost several thousand dollars. I use this:

abe4d_charcoal_grill_41wvGh-EAlL.jpg

Note. This thing actually is used to do the cooking, and not a grill.

Edited by EpicBeardMan

I only use kosher salt and pepper as a rub for steaks. This steak was cooked on a direct flame and then rested for 10 minutes with a foil cover. I have another method of cooking smaller steaks which mimics Ruths Chris steaks. Ruths Chris uses an oven that cost several thousand dollars. I use this:

abe4d_charcoal_grill_41wvGh-EAlL.jpg

Note. This thing actually is used to do the cooking, and not a grill.

Your cooking on top, coals underneath? I use that to get my coals started then drop in to the webber. Them steaks looked good.

Your cooking on top, coals underneath? I use that to get my coals started then drop in to the webber. Them steaks looked good.

Not on top. Under it.

You get two cinder blocks, and a grill. Place the cinder blocks next to each other with a nice space in between. Lay the grill on top of the cinder blocks. This isn't my setup, but it's a visual for you:

x3.jpg

Place the chimney on the grill and light the coals. The chimney will get the grill nice and hot. Knock off any excess ash, and then place the meat on the grill. Place the chimney over the steak. Depending on the size of the steak (I suggest ribeye or porterhouse) cook 90 seconds on each side for rare or 2.5 minutes each side for medium rare. Take the steak off and place it on a plate, covering it with foil. Make it air tight and let sit for 10 minutes.

Edited by EpicBeardMan

Not on top. Under it. You get two cinder blocks, and a grill. Place the cinder blocks next to each other with a nice space in between. Lay the grill on top of the cinder blocks. This isn't my setup, but it's a visual for you: x3.jpg Place the chimney on the grill and light the coals. The chimney will get the grill nice and hot. Knock off any excess ash, and then place the meat on the grill. Place the chimney over the steak. Depending on the size of the steak (I suggest ribeye or porterhouse) cook 90 seconds on each side for rare or 2.5 minutes each side for medium rare. Take the steak off and place it on a plate, covering it with foil. Make it air tight and let sit for 10 minutes.

Wrapping in foil is definately a must. I wrap everything I cook on the grill, if its brisket I wrap it in a blanket for a couple of hours. What kind of coals do you like to use? I have got to the point where I dont use Kingsford unless I need some Matchlight to get the grill going fast. I have started using Cowboy lump because it burns longer and produces less ash and because Lowes and Home Depot carry it.

Wrapping in foil is definately a must. I wrap everything I cook on the grill, if its brisket I wrap it in a blanket for a couple of hours. What kind of coals do you like to use? I have got to the point where I dont use Kingsford unless I need some Matchlight to get the grill going fast. I have started using Cowboy lump because it burns longer and produces less ash and because Lowes and Home Depot carry it.

I use the Kingsford Competition Briquets. Home Depot and Costco carries it.

Hmmm, a thread for food pRon. I can dig it! I grill quite a bit, I make BBQ quite frequently and have family drive 2 hours to eat it and the neighbors begging for it so I'd say I must be doing something right. I also make a lot of home made pizzas that go over well. I'll post a few items ya'll might like.

Brisket

brisket04.jpg

Hmmm, a thread for food pRon. I can dig it! I grill quite a bit, I make BBQ quite frequently and have family drive 2 hours to eat it and the neighbors begging for it so I'd say I must be doing something right. I also make a lot of home made pizzas that go over well. I'll post a few items ya'll might like.

Brisket

brisket04.jpg

The best homemade pizza I make uses a certain Iowan's recipe from another forum for the crust and then tops it with green olives, pepperoni, anchovies, and perhaps some italian sausage if I'm feeling fancy.

I'm also a big fan of some of that gub'ment cheeze, if you take my meaning.

Rack of baby backs and a boston butt

springbutt&ribs.jpg

Looks great! **** of a bark on that pork butt...

I'll be purchasing this item very soon...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/a-maze-n-smoker/reviews

Cold Smoking heaven...cheese, salmon, sausage, bacon...you name it.

Cold smoking device and pellets arrived yesterday...

Got up early this morning to begin cold smoking some cheese on the Weber (Brie wheel, Gouda, and Extra Sharp Cheddar):

072cb26a.jpg

45 min in....still smoking strong...will let you guys know how it turns out

Regular Guy likes this

Cold smoking device and pellets arrived yesterday...

Got up early this morning to begin cold smoking some cheese on the Weber (Brie wheel, Gouda, and Extra Sharp Cheddar):

072cb26a.jpg

45 min in....still smoking strong...will let you guys know how it turns out

You're going to LOVE that cold smoker! I know it's tempting to eat it as soon as you smoke it but if you REALLY want it to taste it's best, you need to vacuum pack it and let it mellow for a few weeks.