Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

1,619 posts in this topic

secret sauce >>>>>>>

It's all about the ratios and technique more so than the ingredients. It's like you can read what goes into a bottle of Coca Cola but trying to make it is another thing entirely! I am a tinkerer when it comes to recipes. I have been tinkering with this one for a bit but finally got it to where I can leave it alone. I do this with all of my recipes until they get to where I don't think I can improve them in any way, just like my Chipotle Beer BBQ sauce and my Brunswick Stew, Red Potato Salad, etc...Everything that I cook and serve has been through multiple incarnations before I get it to where I leave it alone.

Most of my recipes are 100% mine, some are recipes that I find online and change this or that and improve upon it and then make it mine. That's the cool thing about food, there are limitless ways to cook things.

Let see, my daughter can make homemade Zaxby's sauce.cool.png

Me, I am southern, my wife is northern, so my kids are somewhere in between. Which means I occasionally make meals that only I will eat. Meatloaf or fried chicken with boiled cabbage or collard greens, and good ol' cornbread made in the same iron skillet my mom used to make it in. I inherited that skillet after she died, and the cornbread comes out perfect every time. Of course, you wash it down with some good old sweet tea.

Regular Guy likes this

Me, I am southern, my wife is northern, so my kids are somewhere in between. Which means I occasionally make meals that only I will eat. Meatloaf or fried chicken with boiled cabbage or collard greens, and good ol' cornbread made in the same iron skillet my mom used to make it in. I inherited that skillet after she died, and the cornbread comes out perfect every time. Of course, you wash it down with some good old sweet tea.

I regret to inform you that I can only like that post 1 time. I would however like to offer you 1000 bonus pointssmile.png

All of that is what I call soul food. Everything good in the soul food vein comes from the South. Greens, cornbread, bbq, fried chicken. That's **** good eatin' my friend!

I'm gonna need that homemade Zaxby's sauce recipe

Got a big pot of chili going. Stuck to my usual recipe as seen on one of the early pages in this thread, but got stupid with the meat: 1 lb. ground beef, 1 lb. ground buffalo (tastes exactly the same as beef, but more lean and allows me to brag about having more animals in it), sirloin steak, chorizo fino, and thin veal cutlets. The veal was a last minute add-in; found some cutlets in the freezer, rubbed them with olive oil and adobo, and seared for about 30 seconds per side over high heat. Cut it up into little pieces.

Got a little bit of a cold, so I made this batch extra spicy to clear the sinuses. 4 kinds of peppers-- bell, jalapeno, serrano, and habenero. 5 if you count the chiles in the Rotel diced tomatoes I use. 2 tablespoons of cayenne as opposed to my usual 1 and a healthy dose of Tabasco.

Womanface is making cornbread as we speak and everything should be ready in about an hour.

Got a big pot of chili going. Stuck to my usual recipe as seen on one of the early pages in this thread, but got stupid with the meat: 1 lb. ground beef, 1 lb. ground buffalo (tastes exactly the same as beef, but more lean and allows me to brag about having more animals in it), sirloin steak, chorizo fino, and thin veal cutlets. The veal was a last minute add-in; found some cutlets in the freezer, rubbed them with olive oil and adobo, and seared for about 30 seconds per side over high heat. Cut it up into little pieces.

Got a little bit of a cold, so I made this batch extra spicy to clear the sinuses. 4 kinds of peppers-- bell, jalapeno, serrano, and habenero. 5 if you count the chiles in the Rotel diced tomatoes I use. 2 tablespoons of cayenne as opposed to my usual 1 and a healthy dose of Tabasco.

Womanface is making cornbread as we speak and everything should be ready in about an hour.

Bravo sir, you make proper chili, red meat and chili peppers, not spaghetti sauce with beans and chili powder like most people pass off as chili. That veal sounds humpin' in there.

My wife has always done the red bean style chili, but is famous in family circles for how delicious it is. Every time I mention her going with an alt style of Chili you can cut the tension in the air with a knife. I might try your style on a day when I know the wife will be gone all day. It sounds delicious.

Chili is one of those things you can throw whatever makes you happy in to it, everybody has a recipe. The chili me and my wife have made over the years is terrible. I absolutely can't stand it. I used to like it, it's very very mild like a Wendy's chili, but I've grown sick of it's wateryness (I just made that word up). It's not thick enough for me and it's just too **** watery and tasteless for me. My daughter, son and wife ALL do not like ground beef. They prefer to have a beefless chili and would prefer no onions as well. Well if you take beef and onions out of chili what the **** else is there to eat? I'll tell you, beans and freaking chili flavored water! LOL

A buddy of mine has sent me his recipe for chili and I KNOW I would love it, but I would be the only one eating it. He has won chili cookoffs with the recipe in Louisiana so I know it's got to be good! Maybe I'll make a pot of it and freeze the rest so it doesn't go to waste since I am the only one who would eat it.

This is what it looks like :

DSC01280.jpg

Made this chili with ground chuck, ground pork, black and pinto beans, can of beer, alittle chicken stock, 2 cans crushed tomatoes with basil, cummin, red pepper, chili powder, and paprika. slow cooked it for 8 hours in the crockpot. Froze the leftover and served over chips with cheese. 537976_10201809459105578_1603177597_n.jpg

You need to sell some more houses and get a newer crock pot.

Why, it works just fine. And Billy, there's always a gun close by in Casa De Deisel.

Why, it works just fine. And Billy, there's always a gun close by in Casa De Deisel.

Nobody gives a ****. Is it safe to shoot a gun with one eye?

Just had an amazing birthday meal at The Optimist ATL.

6 west coast and 6 east coast oysters to start.

Monkfish with bok choy

Creme brulee

Perrier-Joet Champagne throughout

Double espresso to cap it off

Just had an amazing birthday meal at The Optimist ATL.

6 west coast and 6 east coast oysters to start.

Monkfish with bok choy

Creme brulee

Perrier-Joet Champagne throughout

Double espresso to cap it off

ive never had monkfish. What other type of fish is it similar to?

ive never had monkfish. What other type of fish is it similar to?

Its a thick white fish with tons of rich texture. Imagine the greatest most buttery piece of pan seared cod and multiply the flavor by 1000.

Its a thick white fish with tons of rich texture. Imagine the greatest most buttery piece of pan seared cod and multiply the flavor by 1000.

nice. I might have to give that a try