Rambler

The Food, Recipe, And Restaurant Thread.

1,619 posts in this topic

This weekend I plan on cooking the baddest azz burger on the planet and cupcake chicken ,the award winning recipe from Myron Mixon.

If this is not the absolute best burger you have ever had, you better post the recipe for the one that`s better.

Remember to use the right wood to smoke the burgers. Cherry or Apple preferred but any other fruitwood will work. Dont forget the apple juice in the moisture pan. Do NOT substitute American cheese for the cheddar and do NOT spread mustard on the buns (this coming from a mustard lover).

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef, the best and freshest you can afford

1 1-ounce packet dry ranch dressing mix

3 tablespoons Beef Rub, (see below)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 slices sharp cheddar cheese

2 slices smoked Canadian bacon

2 white hamburger buns Beef Rub

1 teaspoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon granulated dried onion to garnish

mayonnaise

Iceberg lettuce

Ripe tomato slices

Directions:

• Preheat a smoker or oven to 300 degrees F.
  • In a medium nonreactive bowl, combine the ground beef with the ranch dressing mix and the beef rub. Mix gently with your hands, but be careful not to overwork the meat. Form into 2 patties (or more if you want smaller burgers).
  • Place the burgers in an aluminum pan and place the pan in the smoker or in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes for medium-rare and up to 30 minutes for medium-well.
  • Remove the burgers and allow them to rest, uncovered. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
  • When the butter is hot but not smoking, slide the burgers carefully into the skillet, using a spatula. Cook the burgers for about 3 minutes on each side, just until they're seared and a nice crust has formed.
  • Top with cheddar cheese. Transfer burgers onto a platter and let them rest, lightly covered with aluminum foil.
  • In the same medium skillet over medium heat, cook Canadian bacon for about 2 minutes on each side, until lightly crispy. Transfer to paper towels to absorb any excess grease.
  • Lightly toast the buns and smear the top and bottom halves of each with a little mayonnaise. Add burgers, a slice of Canadian bacon, a piecce of lettuce and a slice of tomato and serve.

Thought I would post this because it is recipe and family related. My niece Diana was on ABC`s "The Revolution" and they did a segment called "swimsuit in 20 days" where she was showing examples of Outer Banks BBQ and the host was showing healthier ways to make those dishes. The coleslaw recipe looked worth looking into.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-revolution/video/PL55125774/_m_VD55205761

I eye-ball measurements in my recipes, and I'm not 100% sure I've ever made a recipe the exact same way twice. I always like to experiment. Favorites to make include jambalaya, chicken pasta in a lemon-butter-wine-cream sauce, and "spicy spaghetti."

Optimus_Cr1m35 likes this

I give it 1 page before it turns into a political thread.

Need some recipes from you there Bob. A man of your exquisite taste is probably sitting on a goldmine of tantalizingly tasty dishes.

I eye-ball measurements in my recipes, and I'm not 100% sure I've ever made a recipe the exact same way twice. I always like to experiment. Favorites to make include jambalaya, chicken pasta in a lemon-butter-wine-cream sauce, and "spicy spaghetti."

Problem comes if you hit the jackpot with one of your experiments you wont be able to duplicate it. Better to write everything down and carefully measure. You then can look over your list of ingredients and adjust accordingly.

Posted this over in RC. Didn't get the appreciation that I feel it would get here.

Grilled Jalapeno poppers-

Ingredients:

Fresh jalapenos (green peppers work for those who can't handle the spice)

1 8oz block of cream cheese

2-4oz goat cheese (adjust for preference and taste)

handful of shredded cheese

(some people like bacon)

Instructions:

cut peppers in half and use a spoon to eliminate the seeds, guts etc

mix the three cheeses together until you've got them mixed up pretty well

put the cheeses in the microwave for abt 30-45 seconds to make it easier to work with

mix the cheese up a little more when it comes out of the microwave

fill up the jalapenos with the cheese mixture

(optional = wrap the jalapenos in bacon)

grill until soft or cheese is fully melted

Enjoy the deliciousness that follows

Endnote: some people don't like how spicy the fresh jalapenos can be. Personally, I love it. But if you want to take the bite out of them, I've found that soaking the halves in a water/liquor solution for about 30 minutes does a pretty good job of handling that. Also you can replace jalapenos with green peppers of anaheim peppers or whatever suits your taste.

Chain Chomp and Goal Line D like this

Posted this over in RC. Didn't get the appreciation that I feel it would get here.

I have a brother in law who always brings the poppers so I never felt the need to cook any, but I will say this looks worth trying.

Texas de Brazil

you are welcome

The closest one to me is Richmond. I thought at first it was a Brazilian Style Barbeque restaurant but after looking at their menu I see its not.

The closest one to me is Richmond. I thought at first it was a Brazilian Style Barbeque restaurant but after looking at their menu I see its not.

it is meat utopia

Been experimenting with cream-based sauces recently. Really easy, but requires constant attention and stirring. My Alfredo and pesto-cream are damned good. I do a cajun chicken pasta dish where I coat cut-up chicken breast in cayenne/paprika/onion powder/salt/pepper and sautee it in butter with peppers, mushrooms, and green onions.Then add 2 cups of cream, a little monterey-jack cheese, garlic powder, and a little flour or corn starch to thicken it up. Serve it over fettuccine and sprinkle parmesan.

Tomorrow I'm probably gonna grill some tuna steaks. Marinate them in olive oil, rice vinegar, ground ginger, salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of soy sauce. That's one of my mainstays.

Been experimenting with cream-based sauces recently. Really easy, but requires constant attention and stirring. My Alfredo and pesto-cream are damned good. I do a cajun chicken pasta dish where I coat cut-up chicken breast in cayenne/paprika/onion powder/salt/pepper and sautee it in butter with peppers, mushrooms, and green onions.Then add 2 cups of cream, a little monterey-jack cheese, garlic powder, and a little flour or corn starch to thicken it up. Serve it over fettuccine and sprinkle parmesan.

Tomorrow I'm probably gonna grill some tuna steaks. Marinate them in olive oil, rice vinegar, ground ginger, salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of soy sauce. That's one of my mainstays.

That sounds out of this world. I would be willing to bet that cooking the pasta correctly could also make or break this dish. Throw in some garlic bread and I`m there.

The best Brazilian Steakhouse I ever went to was in Salt Lake City. The menu in this place includes rattlesnake sausage, bison, chicken hearts and a few more unusual items.

http://www.rodiziogrill.com/

wow....they don't get that exotic at TdeB

texasdebrazil.jpg

that is some of what they have. doesn't show the filet, bacon wrapped filet, garlic sirloin, BBQ ribs, and a couple of others

wow....they don't get that exotic at TdeB

texasdebrazil.jpg

that is some of what they have. doesn't show the filet, bacon wrapped filet, garlic sirloin, BBQ ribs, and a couple of others

I have to go to Richmond sometime in August. I might be able to hit this place up for lunch.

If you go there for lunch you won't need breakfast or dinner.

You also won't get anything accomplished for the rest of the day due to the itis. You'll be like one of those NatGeo fat crocodiles that ate a wildebeest, just straight-up comatose on the shore.

You also won't get anything accomplished for the rest of the day due to the itis. You'll be like one of those NatGeo fat crocodiles that ate a wildebeest, just straight-up comatose on the shore.

Sounds like I wont need any dessert.

For those who are asking I took the time to write up, not so much a recipe but just basic idea of it. feel free to play with it and add as much or as little of the ingredients as you want.

For the egg wash

combine eggs and heavy cream ( 2 to 1 ratio egg to cream)

Cinnamon

pinch of salt ( very very important)

brown sugar

Vanilla extract

orange juice and zest

for the crust crushed up graham crackers or you can use cinnamon toast crunch cereal or if you really want an interesting depth of flavor some crushed peanutbutter crunch ceral works REALLY well here.

for filling Mas capon cheese

You can use canned pie filling but I normally like to make it from scratch

If you do it from scratch just slice up some granny smith apples really thin

cooked down with seasonings above + a pinch of nutmeg till soft and let cool before using filling. ( mix in some of caramel sauce made below)

for caramel sauce:

Equal parts water and white sugar cooked till caramelized( do this on lower heat sugar+high heat =burn, add in some butter till melted then wisk in warm milk/cream till sauce is consistency that you like.... I like mine on the thinner side but that is up to you.

You can use white bread but just cut the crust off

There are 2 ways of doing it, you can cook both pieces of french toast and then just add the filling in the middle

OR you can take the two pieces put in the filling and use some of the mas capon around the edges and crimp with a fork ( ends up looking like like a ravioli)

To assemble:

Dredge the bread in the egg wash then coat in Graham Cracker crumbs and cook till browned to sticking on a pan on MEDIUM heat,

With the sugar content in this , this will burn like a mofo if the heat is too high.

If you do the "stuffed" ( crimped) method you want to let it cook a couple extra minutes on lower heat.

I also like to make some vanilla flavored whipped cream to put on top

Just put a dollop(sp) of the whipped cream and drizzle caramel sauce on top for your liking. Garnish with a couple candied walnuts and you have stuffed caramel apple french toast.

You can do substitutions like just plain cream cheese, 2 % milk instead of cream and sugar substitutes (splenda ect) It is still good but not at the level of this.

For those who are asking I took the time to write up, not so much a recipe but just basic idea of it. feel free to play with it and add as much or as little of the ingredients as you want.

For the egg wash

combine eggs and heavy cream ( 2 to 1 ratio egg to cream)

Cinnamon

pinch of salt ( very very important)

brown sugar

Vanilla extract

orange juice and zest

for the crust crushed up graham crackers or you can use cinnamon toast crunch cereal or if you really want an interesting depth of flavor some crushed peanutbutter crunch ceral works REALLY well here.

for filling Mas capon cheese

You can use canned pie filling but I normally like to make it from scratch

If you do it from scratch just slice up some granny smith apples really thin

cooked down with seasonings above + a pinch of nutmeg till soft and let cool before using filling. ( mix in some of caramel sauce made below)

for caramel sauce:

Equal parts water and white sugar cooked till caramelized( do this on lower heat sugar+high heat =burn, add in some butter till melted then wisk in warm milk/cream till sauce is consistency that you like.... I like mine on the thinner side but that is up to you.

You can use white bread but just cut the crust off

There are 2 ways of doing it, you can cook both pieces of french toast and then just add the filling in the middle

OR you can take the two pieces put in the filling and use some of the mas capon around the edges and crimp with a fork ( ends up looking like like a ravioli)

To assemble:

Dredge the bread in the egg wash then coat in Graham Cracker crumbs and cook till browned to sticking on a pan on MEDIUM heat,

With the sugar content in this , this will burn like a mofo if the heat is too high.

If you do the "stuffed" ( crimped) method you want to let it cook a couple extra minutes on lower heat.

I also like to make some vanilla flavored whipped cream to put on top

Just put a dollop(sp) of the whipped cream and drizzle caramel sauce on top for your liking. Garnish with a couple candied walnuts and you have stuffed caramel apple french toast.

You can do substitutions like just plain cream cheese, 2 % milk instead of cream and sugar substitutes (splenda ect) It is still good but not at the level of this.

Looks like a keeper!

Looks like a keeper!

It is.... feel free to use it.

If I get the inkling I will write up the cherry vanilla and the tiramisu french toast I have.

For savory stuff I came up with this awesome fried chicken cornbread stuffing( dressing no matter what you wanna call it)

3 lbs ground beef 1 lbs pork sausage

Lotsa paprka

Lotsa cayenne

Lotsa cumin

Lotsa chilli powder

Can of tomatoes

Liquid smoke

Slalt pepper to taste

Put all that **** in a large pot fill pot with meat water and awesomeness boil 80 minutes best hot dog chilli ever

Edited by The Delegate