M.ryan And Offside Adjustments?

I like m.Ryan and I hope he continues to improve, but I've notice he continually does the quick short pass to roddy or jones on obvious offsides by opposing teams, which never works Now this isn't a hate Ryan thread, but what do u think of him doing a pump fake for a ten to twenty yard pass, couldn't hurt. Just thinking.

When defenses are not offsides, he gets 2.5-3 seconds to throw. When they are offsides, cut a second off of that. He knows, as does anyone that watches the Falcons religiously, that he does not have time to pumpfake when a DE is caught offsides.

When defenses are not offsides, he gets 2.5-3 seconds to throw. When they are offsides, cut a second off of that. He knows, as does anyone that watches the Falcons religiously, that he does not have time to pumpfake when a DE is caught offsides.

Exactly. He has a tight window with our patchwork o-line.

At least he quit taking knees when it happens

You mean hold the ball longer than 1 sec when the defender already jumped a sec earlier? This was the case most of the games last year, The ball was snapped at 4:41 and look at the picture at 4:40 on a offside call. Ryan is one step away from getting mugged by 3 defenders. The receivers haven't even reached the 10 yards from LOS.

ryan-houston.jpg

Edited by falcons007

Well, from what I can tell Mike Smith is part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree, so we likely run at least a variant of the WCO. The WCO entails the short passes to the WRs and them running a good bit of the distance. Now, from what I understand, Matt Ryan is using part of this off season trying to build up his arm strength to help in throwing the long passes. Maybe that combined with our new OC will help us see some of that next season. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

You mean hold the ball longer than 1 sec when the defender already jumped a sec earlier? This was the case most of the games last year, The ball was snapped at 4:41 and look at the picture at 4:40 on a offside call. Ryan is one step away from getting mugged by 3 defenders. The receivers haven't even reached the 10 yards from LOS.

ryan-houston.jpg

11 less drops and that would have been a glorious performance by Ryan.

And that final drop..God, that was gutwrenching.

ryan-houston.jpg

I see a pocket and lots of room to run through the pocket to make a deep pass.

I see a pocket and lots of room to run through the pocket to make a deep pass.

Sure he escaped and stepped up in the pocket only to be hit by another defender all in 2.1 sec. If the pocket breaks from one side its manageable, but if depth and width of pocket collapses in 2 sec no QB can make a throw.

Well, from what I can tell Mike Smith is part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree, so we likely run at least a variant of the WCO.

Uh, no. Not even close. Mularkey was the OC, and he's running something conceptually similar to what Dan Reeves ran here (though, IMHO, not anywhere near as effective). Our new OC is a Coryell guy. We haven't run a WCO since Knapp left.

And, IMHO, that's a shame, because Matt Ryan was raised on a WCO and I think he'd be ridiculously good in that system.

I like m.Ryan and I hope he continues to improve, but I've notice he continually does the quick short pass to roddy or jones on obvious offsides by opposing teams, which never works Now this isn't a hate Ryan thread, but what do u think of him doing a pump fake for a ten to twenty yard pass, couldn't hurt. Just thinking.

He's doing what he's coached to do. Every OC has their own "automatics" for that situation. I've seen teams have the center snap the ball instantly when he notices a defender jump and the QB will just take a knee. I've seen teams snap the ball and have the QB roll out and the receiver go deep like a scramble drill. I've seen teams like FL. State just have their linemen not move and inch while the ball is snapped and the QB throws.

Guest TheIdowu

Uh, no. Not even close. Mularkey was the OC, and he's running something conceptually similar to what Dan Reeves ran here (though, IMHO, not anywhere near as effective). Our new OC is a Coryell guy. We haven't run a WCO since Knapp left.

And, IMHO, that's a shame, because Matt Ryan was raised on a WCO and I think he'd be ridiculously good in that system.

I still have not figured this one out.