38 Studios And Big Huge Games Shutting Down

Click here

This person said the same thing I was thinking.

27111_32.jpg

Archaotic Thu 24 May 2012 4:09 PM

D@mn it. D@mn it, D@mn it, D@mn it, D@MN IT. I hate how this industry seems to chew up and destroy any RPG developer that isn't fcking Bethesda or BioWare. The gaming media has its "IT'S NOT [insert BioWare or Bethesda flavor of the month here], SO IT SUCKS" machine going and nitpicks every new RPG to oblivion without even giving it a chance. Amalur was a good game, but it deserves another chance.

I really hope 38 Studios comes out of it scot-free; if they die, the chances of any OTHER new RPGs getting made will drop significantly because everyone will be too scared to stand against Skyrim and the BioDrone Collective.

Edited by Skar

That sucks! I really enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur - had a ton of really cool ideas going for it. Too bad we'll probably never see a sequel. The worst part about the gaming industry is that in most cases it doesn't pay to take risks... The production costs are enormous and the average gamer just wants the hot new "Call of Duty" or "Madden" so if you try something new and it's not utterly amazing, the average consumer is not going to buy it. It's too bad but it's real life, with people's jobs and livelyhood at stake... in the long run it's safer to make games that people are going to buy.

I'm about to buy this game, too. Man that stinks. :(

And to top it off, the Japanese can't make a great RPG anymore to save their lives. Maybe 2 or 3 decent Japanese RPG's this generation and one of them is on Wii. Go figure. I'm still waiting on the Final Fantasy X HD package and hope to hear something on the FF7 remake that doesn't involve that sorry *** FF13 and 13-2 producer talking about changing it. I've played nearly every Final Fantasy RPG they've put out and both of these are among the worst of the entire series.

I don't know what's so difficult about making traditional RPG's with this generation. I much prefer what RPG's were to what they are now.

I'm about to buy this game, too. Man that stinks. sad.png

And to top it off, the Japanese can't make a great RPG anymore to save their lives. Maybe 2 or 3 decent Japanese RPG's this generation and one of them is on Wii. Go figure. I'm still waiting on the Final Fantasy X HD package and hope to hear something on the FF7 remake that doesn't involve that sorry *** FF13 and 13-2 producer talking about changing it. I've played nearly every Final Fantasy RPG they've put out and both of these are among the worst of the entire series.

I don't know what's so difficult about making traditional RPG's with this generation. I much prefer what RPG's were to what they are now.

Why won't they remake FF 7? They could make so much money if they did that. I would buy the collector's edition.

Why won't they remake FF 7? They could make so much money if they did that. I would buy the collector's edition.

this would easily bring sony money since it'd likely be on the PS3 and people who loved FF7 on xbox would get a PS3 for this reason.. let alone the game will likely break a billion+

I think I liked FF9 the most out of the post-SNES Final Fantasy games. I really dislike the direction it has gone in. FFX was the last decent one and I was really relieved to hear that they are just giving it the HD update release. No idea when that one is coming out, though.

I was furious when that FF13 guy said if he was in charge of the FF7 remake he would do a lot of things different. Really ticked me off. FF7 is not my favorite Final Fantasy, but it's a classic and the mechanics of the game should not stray much from the original. FF7 was the pinnacle of the Japanese RPG genre and its place in gaming history is significant. Create new games to tinker with, don't ruin a classic that only really needs an update to current technology capabilities.

What did Schilling do?

Here's a followup editorial to the article you posted...

http://kotaku.com/59...studios-debacle

And a breakdown of the events...

http://kotaku.com/5911515/how-a-pro-atheletes-video-game-studio-came-to-owe-rhode-island-millions?tag=38studios

The way he handled laying people off is just disgraceful. He may be a baseball legend, but he ain't no businessman.

He took a risk and lost.

Not only that, but he made moves along the way that didn't help and then threw everyone under the bus that worked for his company. Most of his employees were in Massachusetts, yet he financed his company with a tax money loan from Rhode Island... the state that has the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the country. It was not a good business decision and it cost him at least $30 million, not to mention Rhode Island taxpayers who could ultimately end up footing the bill to the sum of around $120 million.