Brian Banks Exonerated From Kidnap And Rape

LONG BEACH, Calif. — The kidnap-rape conviction of a once-promising prep football star was dismissed Thursday following a recantation by his accuser.

Brian Banks collapsed in sobs on the counsel table during a court hearing where a prosecutor quickly conceded the decade-old case and moved for the dismissal.

In the summer of 2002, Banks’ future looked bright: He was a 17-year-old high school football star being heavily recruited by a number of colleges. But in a single day that changed with the accusations of kidnapping and rape by a female student.

He maintained there was no rape and their sexual contact was consensual, but his lawyer urged him to plead no contest rather than risk a sentence of 41 years to life in prison if convicted. He followed the advice and went to prison for six years, shattering his dreams of gridiron glory.

Lawyers for the California Innocence Project were prepared Thursday to argue he should be exonerated.

In a strange turn of events, the woman who accused him a decade ago friended him on Facebook when he got out of prison. Wanetta Gibson explained she wanted to “let bygones be bygones.”

According to documents in the case, she met with Banks and said she had lied; there had been was no kidnap and no rape and she offered to help him clear his record.

But she subsequently refused to repeat the story to prosecutors because she feared she would have to return a $1.5 million payment from a civil suit brought by her mother against Long Beach schools.

She was quoted as telling Banks: “I will go through with helping you but it’s like at the same time all that money they gave us, I mean gave me, I don’t want to have to pay it back.”

Justin Brooks, a lawyer who heads the innocence project, said that Banks has remained on probation, under electronic monitoring, has had to register as a sex offender and has had trouble getting a job.

He said Banks continues to train for what he hopes will be a future chance at a football career.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...1#ixzz1vonlMeXU

The lesson is; don't go hard on some chick ya hardly know so the clam ain't tore up and thus no physical evidence.

Even still, people get put in prison over she said, he said wayyyy the eff too often. Either there's evidence beyond a reasonable doubt or their isn't. Dimwitted jurors need to be instructed that the word of a single witness should mean hardly shite, without corroborating evidence.

The problem with harshly punishing the accuser is this - they would discourage people from coming forward as in this case

I would doubt punishing someone who totally fabricated an accusation would stop someone who was actually attacked from coming forward. Now severely punishing this monster to prevent other women from fabricating stories is what needs to be done here.

I'd also add that all their assets should be liquidated until the money is paid back( with interest), and the money given to Brian Banks to try and make a life.

Yup.

Anything bought with that 1.5 million should be sold and liquidated and given to him.

Then he should make her do a pole dance for him while he throws quarters at her.

I would doubt punishing someone who totally fabricated an accusation would stop someone who was actually attacked from coming forward. Now severely punishing this monster to prevent other women from fabricating stories is what needs to be done here.

I meant it (excessive punishment) would discourage false accusers from coming clean - not that it would discourage legit victims from coming forward