Playoffs...we Regressed Every Year, Why?

looking back at out 3 playoff losses we regressed every year. in matt's rookie year we played a tight game with the cards, could have easily won that one but had some turnovers. in 2010 we came out a little over confident and rodger just sat back nd nickel and dimed our zone coverage all day up and down the field. we never adjusted. last year our defense played solid at first but our offense couldnt move the ball and i honestly think ryan played scared in that game, too much presure to win a playoff game.

whats it gonna take this year to win a playoff game?

Ryan didn't play scared, the game plan conceded to all of the Giants strengths before we stepped on the field. Mike Smith and Mike Mularkey waved the white flag before kick off.Our OL might as well have faced the opposite direction, dropped their pants, maybe light a few candles and play some Barry White, because they went into that game knowing the Giants D was going to get theirs..

I think the mix of conservatism, stubborn determination to stick to outdated philosphies(take what the defense gives you), and overthinking has doomed us, especially the last 2 playoff games.

We don't seem to handle adversity very well. Any little distaction, like a snow storm throwing off the practice schedule, or a DLineman calling out our OL seems to make us fall apart, and I put that on Smitty.

Hopefully that changes. From what it sounds like from interviews, Smitty has done some soul searching this off-season.

I'll beat this message like a drum:

The key to winning in the playoffs is getting there regularly and getting there healthy. We're getting there, but not getting there healthy. When we get there healthy, the wins will come. Hopefully, now that we have some guys with playoff experience, and improving depth, we can win some.

Guest Gritz

I'll beat this message like a drum:

The key to winning in the playoffs is getting there regularly and getting there healthy. We're getting there, but not getting there healthy. When we get there healthy, the wins will come. Hopefully, now that we have some guys with playoff experience, and improving depth, we can win some.

I agree with the first part of your post, not so much the second. I think in all 3 years we have made the playoffs under this regime we haven't had any major injuries to key component players....certainly nothing that is comparable to the guys Green Bay had sidelined 2 years ago when they won it all.

I still believe the major factor is that the Falcons play "not to lose" and tight......very tight.

Not sure, but my blood boils a little bit when I hear snips from what Mularkey was saying in relation to the gameplan for the NYG game. It's a losers mentality, and his conservative playcalling and predictability, not withstanding, he should have been canned for that alone if he didn't leave.

I agree with the first part of your post, not so much the second. I think in all 3 years we have made the playoffs under this regime we haven't had any major injuries to key component players....certainly nothing that is comparable to the guys Green Bay had sidelined 2 years ago when they won it all.

I still believe the major factor is that the Falcons play "not to lose" and tight......very tight.

I don't disagree. Green Bay, that year was an anomaly. Their front office, getting the the kind of depth they have is truly unbelievable.

I think missing Grimes was pretty huge for us against NY.

Guest Gritz

I'll agree with that somewhat....but unless Grimes could have knocked the crap out of Mularkey at halftime and turned him into an OC with an actual set the outcome of the game wasn't going to change.

I'll agree with that somewhat....but unless Grimes could have knocked the crap out of Mularkey at halftime and turned him into an OC with an actual set the outcome of the game wasn't going to change.

True enough. It wasn't really the defense that lost that game. ****, they started out with a safety. The offense might as well have stayed in Atlanta.

I don't disagree. Green Bay, that year was an anomaly. Their front office, getting the the kind of depth they have is truly unbelievable.

agreed......with Grimes, Falcons only lose 17-2 versus 24-2ph34r.png

Guest TheIdowu

If the offense can get rolling in the post-season, watch out! I have always believed our offense put our defense in bad predicaments and situations in that NYG with constant three and outs, short time of possessions, short fields, etc. I am not saying our defense is all-world BUT if you look at the way the defense came out the first two quarters, they were pretty good. You knew after while of the ineptness of our offense that the defense would wear down and quick. I do not care if you are the Ravens, if your offense has you field 100 times a game, the inevitable is doomed to happen.

agreed......with Grimes, Falcons only lose 17-2 versus 24-2ph34r.png

Already been discussed. I know it wasn't the defense that folded, but still, I think his absence made an impact. Who knows- maybe he would have made an interception that changed momentum. I think we'd agree that he's that kind of player. The OL wasn't healthy either.

I stand by my assertion that the key to winning in the playoffs is getting there often and getting there healthy.

I blame coaching.

The team has played tight and has been horribly prepared.

The coaches are not getting the players in the right mindset and it has shown on the field. Unfortunately, to me this goes more on Smith than anyone else.

And I'm gonna agree here. While I like the departure of the OC and DC, and I am definitely excited about the new DC, the jury's still out on the OC for me. Time will tell.

That said, it is still Smith that runs the show on Sunday and has all veto power. My fear is that it is Smith who is the conservative one and plays "not to lose". His choices to go on 4th down were not a disappointment to me, but the play selection certainly was. Did Smith go with MM's play, or did he over rule and call his own? I have a hard time believing that MM didn't have something a little more creative in mind, JMO.

Job 1 in 2012 is to get to the post season.

If that is accomplished, we can then speculate and postulate on how to approach playoff games.

Yea I do too it's a mixture of things one is playing teams that ultimately made it to the Super Bowl, it's not like they lost to the frickin Seahawks. But that said Falcons top guys Ryan, Turner, Abe etc seem to play their worst games in the playoffs, nobody steps up the coaching staff included. Not including the OL cause they always suck. It's just 3 games though and you can't discredit 2 away games and the one home game was against the Packers that just got hot for the playoffs. It happens, hopefully this year they get 3 or 4

If the offense can get rolling in the post-season, watch out! I have always believed our offense put our defense in bad predicaments and situations in that NYG with constant three and outs, short time of possessions, short fields, etc. I am not saying our defense is all-world BUT if you look at the way the defense came out the first two quarters, they were pretty good. You knew after while of the ineptness of our offense that the defense would wear down and quick. I do not care if you are the Ravens, if your offense has you field 100 times a game, the inevitable is doomed to happen.

Not to mention not taking the few points we could've scored. FG's may not seem like much, but taking the 2 we could've had possibly makes NY playcall a little differently.