6 Famous 'frivolous Lawsuit' Stories That Are Total B.s.

The fact that you call it BS shows that you either A) have absolutely no clue as to what the lawsuit was actually about OR B.) are one of the most callous people I have never met in my entire life.

I am very familiar with the lawsuit. And as a coffee enthusiast, I know the proper temp for serving all sorts, be it drip, french press, espresso, americano, latte, etc. It easily can reach 200 degrees (My espresso maker is set for 220 degrees. It is not unreasonable to expect coffee to be in excess of 180 degrees at the time you get a cup, especially if it has just been brewed.

Unless MsDonalds served her a defective cup (which they did not), this is her fault.

Edited by kicker

I'll try to add a little to that as well. If I'm not mistaken, the woman originally just wanted to settle out of court for the cost of her medical expenses ~20k or so. McD's laughed and said **** you, take me to court.

Then you throw in the outstanding fact that McDonald's had over 600) documented complaints of injuries being sustained from serving their coffee at such a ludicrous temperature. Yet they still did nothing to try and fix it.

One last tidbit, it was also discovered during this case that McDonald's required their franchisees to serve the coffee at 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit.

So yes, at face value, this case was such a great way to push tort reform. You've got a some "idiot" who spilled hot coffee on themselves, decided to sue because the coffee "was hot" and won 500K. Who wouldn't think such a thing is outlandish? But once you dig a little deeper into the facts, the case is much more about some idiot trying to scam money off of the poor ole corporations.

Your home coffee maker drips at close to 200 degrees. It is not unreasonable to expect the coffee to be close to that temp at serving, unless you're a lawyer looking for a payday or the victim of clumsiness.

Your home coffee maker drips at close to 200 degrees.  It is not unreasonable to expect the coffee to be close to that temp at serving, unless you're a lawyer looking for a payday or the victim of clumsiness.

Just tested two different coffee makers, the highest temperature reading I got was 176.2*F, and that was with the thermometer in the pot as it was brewing.

Just tested two different coffee makers, the highest temperature reading I got was 176.2*F, and that was with the thermometer in the pot as it was brewing.

And that will cause 3rd degree burns in less than 5 seconds. You should totally sue somebody. Edited by kicker

My dad was in waffle house. The lady spilled hot coffee on his foot. He had to have surgery and skin graphs. The waffle house of riverdale rd is where this happened and they tried and failed to fight it. Yes many lawsuits and sue lawyers are cons but its is a nessasary evil I'm afraid.

Edited by metatron360

And that will cause 3rd degree burns in less than 5 seconds.  You should totally sue somebody.

Fresh out of the pot it will. Now I made another batch, and poured it in a cup. Here's what I got.

Fresh: 176

30 seconds in cup: 172F

1 minute in cup: 170F

2 minutes in cup: 161F

3 minutes in cup: 156F

4 minutes i: 152F

5 minutes: 149F

After compiling that, here's the questions that need to be asked:

How hot do most restaurants serve their coffee?

What is the time/temperature scale for 3rd degree burns?

What temperature did McDonald's serve their coffee at?

That second question I can't find a consistent answer to. At 150F, I'm finding everything from 2 seconds, to 7 seconds, to 15 seconds. If it was under 5 seconds at standard home coffee serving temperature(which is mostly reported to be at 140F-150F), then McDonald's shouldn't have been liable.

Fresh out of the pot it will. Now I made another batch, and poured it in a cup. Here's what I got.

That second question I can't find a consistent answer to. At 150F, I'm finding everything from 2 seconds, to 7 seconds, to 15 seconds. If it was under 5 seconds at standard home coffee serving temperature(which is mostly reported to be at 140F-150F), then McDonald's shouldn't have been liable.

I'm guessing you served it in a porcelain coffee cup at room temperature? Place it in a styrofoam cup with lid. The heat loss will be significantly less.

In addition, the elderly scald easier.

http://www.wounds1.com/care/condition20.cfm?bulletinID=11

She placed the coffee between her legs and spilled the entire cup onto her thighs and groin. The incident is unfortunate, but I fail to see how McDonalds serving coffee at the recommended brewing temp is their fault.

Oh good Lord, this is really your response? To post a link and demand that someone else do your homework for you? She went to the hospital. A doctor diagnosed the third degree burns. But somehow a link to a Newton formula disproves what a licensed medical doctor diagnosed firsthand.

Riiiigggghhhhtttt...

You are too stupid, you really are. I was responding to a post that had nothing to do with the coffee spilt on the woman. It was this; "according to the burn foundation 140 degree water can cause third degree burns in 5 seconds.

http://www.burnfound...rce.cfm?c=1&a=3

i don't know if 140 degrees is a reasonable temperature to serve coffee."

I responded that you'd probably have to hold it cupped in your hand for 140 degree water to cause 3rd degree burns since in the 5 seconds the tempature would rapidly decrease if it was spilt on a flat surface. I don't need a formula to understand liquid cools quickly when dispersed across a flat service that is much cooler, thought he formula might help you both understand and be helpful in proving me wrong which seems to be what you live for smh

Edited by Truthhurts

i put it up on the first page, 140 degrees will cause third degree burns in 5 seconds.

i put it up on the first page, 140 degrees will cause third degree burns in 5 seconds.

Even the case information disputes that. No consensus really. If it was 140F for 5 seconds, McDonald's shouldn't have been liable at all, because even your own coffee would have caused the burn.

I highly recommend everyone watch this movie if you're interested in this topic. It's a great documentary.

Didn't have anything to do tonight, so I watched this documentary. Great documentary! Did not know about the U.S Chamber of Commerce, how wide spread Mandatory Arbitration was, and many other topics discussed. Very educational, and I agree with mdrake it is a must watch.

Didn't have anything to do tonight, so I watched this documentary. Great documentary! Did not know about the U.S Chamber of Commerce, how wide spread Mandatory Arbitration was, and many other topics discussed. Very educational, and I agree with mdrake it is a must watch.

Glad you liked it. I had no idea there was a US Chamber of Commerce either, or that that's where Karl Rove got his start.

Interestingly, Jamie Leigh Jones finally got her trial this past July and lost on all counts. Jury thought the sex was consensual. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Leigh_Jones

I'll give you an example from personal experience that shows how one-sided justice is.

I was sued several years ago for twice the amount I owed. I thought it would be very simple. I would have my day in court, present my evidence that clearly showed the correct amount owed and pay the judgment.

I filed an answer to the suit, then I recieve interrogatories, I fill them out and send them back return signature. Next thing I know, I received a copy of the opposing parties request for summary judgement. I answer and file my answer with the court. The judge granted summary

judgement based on me not answering interrogatories and not filing an answer to the request for summary judgment.

I walked in to the judge's office and handed his clerk a copy of the interrogatories I answered, the confirmation their attorney had signed for them and a copy of the answer to summary judgement I

filed with the court stamp showing the date it was filed with the court. I received an email from the clerk a week later saying some BS about the judge exercising due diligence.

I contacted an attorney and it would have cost me at least three times the amount of the judgement to pursue the case further. So, a year and half later I campaigned like a maniac for his challenger and helped her defeat his sorry corrupt azz. I sent an email the next day to his campaign website reminding him of who I was and that as long as I lived, he'd never be elected to the bench again.

I try to look at the whole situation like I paid about 5k to help rid my county of a corrupt judge who did not serve the people but other lawyers and creditors.

The system is set up to keep regular people from even getting their day in court, which is a travesty of justice in and of itself.

Edited by Truthhurts