Espn: Is Tony Romo A Top 5 Qb...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What he was saying is last year is last year and this year is this year. Watch the video, youd understand.

I know its standard press talk for any team that didn't have a good season last year. But outside of being politically correct, its just not right.

Ill watch the video tomorrow or something. To tired to now.

He's not top 5. Numbers are numbers...and they are too inflated these days to make an accurate assessment of what they really mean. The league isn't the same...it's currently in a state of transition.

It took 27 years for Marino's single season passing record to be broken by Brees. Does anyone here really doubt that if Marino was born 18 years later (1979 when Brees was born) that he would've produced even more than he did...given the pass happy rules of the current time?

I don't make that comparison as a slight on what Brees has accomplished. I think he is a true HoF QB. I'm only talking about the situation QBs are playing in now vs then...

It's hard to judge, right now, what is deemed as 'great'...if you look at current QB numbers alone. The only thing to go on is the old eyeball test..and what you see the QB do in certain situations. Clutch QBs will always rank higher in my view than those that just put up numbers.

All that said, I've seen Romo play well in 4th quarters...and I've seen him play through injuries. He has my respect. I don't think it's a slight on him to say he's not top 5 in this league...he's still a very good QB.

He's not top 5. Numbers are numbers...and they are too inflated these days to make an accurate assessment of what they really mean. The league isn't the same...it's currently in a state of transition.

It took 27 years for Marino's single season passing record to be broken by Brees. Does anyone here really doubt that if Marino was born 18 years later (1979 when Brees was born) that he would've produced even more than he did...given the pass happy rules of the current time?

I don't make that comparison as a slight on what Brees has accomplished. I think he is a true HoF QB. I'm only talking about the situation QBs are playing in now vs then...

It's hard to judge, right now, what is deemed as 'great'...if you look at current QB numbers alone. The only thing to go on is the old eyeball test..and what you see the QB do in certain situations. Clutch QBs will always rank higher in my view than those that just put up numbers.

All that said, I've seen Romo play well in 4th quarters...and I've seen him play through injuries. He has my respect. I don't think it's a slight on him to say he's not top 5 in this league...he's still a very good QB.

Really I think none of the numbers would be close to what they are now... If they still used stick'em tho that might make them waaaaaay higher as well to tho, lol. :D

The thing is, I really just wanted to post what Romo said at the beginning, but I couldnt. Also, I did think the discussion was a good one.

Answer Michael Smith's question, if Romo isnt the 5th best QB in the league, then who is and why?

If we're talking about stats, Stafford. If we're talking about playoff mystique and general winning, Eli. If we're talking about some measure of quarterbacks that falls in between those measures of success then I'm assuming your calculation will be whatever balance of stats and wins comes out with Romo on top.

The thing is, I really just wanted to post what Romo said at the beginning, but I couldnt. Also, I did think the discussion was a good one.

Answer Michael Smith's question, if Romo isnt the 5th best QB in the league, then who is and why?

I'd rather ask why you are so obsessed with the rankings? What does it really matter? Are you looking for confirmation of your beliefs on a Falcons message board?

As to who is #5...who really cares? It's probably going to be a guy like Ben or Eli. And if the # 5 results don't sit we'll with you, will you ask who is number 6? It will be one of the two mentioned above...whichever wasn't listed #5.

ESPN will always have their segments about certain players...but usually about those that will raise debate. That is what they are after. You won't ever see an ESPN segment discussing whether or not Brees, Brady, or Rodgers is top 5. Why? Because everyone knows they are... It doesn't make for good ratings. But you'll see discussions about the next tier of QBs often...especially if those QBs are in Dallas, Philly, Washington...or any other major fanbase area. The other QBs are discussed...but not as often. ESPN knows where its viewership is.

Wow, this is beyond funny. I put up a video and you all are arguing over what Im going to say. I said, answer Michael Smith's question. If Eli, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady are the top 4 QBs, who is #5?

Seeing that he hasn't been mentioned yet, Peyton earned the benefit of the doubt years ago.

Seeing that he hasn't been mentioned yet, Peyton earned the benefit of the doubt years ago.

The funny thing is, I watched the video pretty late last night. Just before posting my last post, I realized they hadnt mentioned Peyton either. I wonder if that is because they want to see him perform after his surgery.

Wow, this is beyond funny. I put up a video and you all are arguing over what Im going to say. I said, answer Michael Smith's question. If Eli, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady are the top 4 QBs, who is #5?

Some people like to rank players...others (the wiser group, imo) don't. Instead of ranking them, they place them in tiers. Why? Because there are far too many variables to consider.

I did t watch your clip, so I don't know who the first 4 mentioned were. I'd guess Brady, Rodgers, and Brees were 3 of them.

If you'd really like my number 4, 5, and 6 ranking...I'll be happy to supply them...but after that it would be a group of QBs (where Romo would fall)

Some people like to rank players...others (the wiser group, imo) don't. Instead of ranking them, they place them in tiers. Why? Because there are far too many variables to consider.

I did t watch your clip, so I don't know who the first 4 mentioned were. I'd guess Brady, Rodgers, and Brees were 3 of them.

If you'd really like my number 4, 5, and 6 ranking...I'll be happy to ablige

They were Eli, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers...

Sure.

They were Eli, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers...

Sure.

Eli isn't #1 for starters...but top 5

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Manning, P

Manning, E

Roethlisberger

The group following them is a cluster. Many one of them have cases to be on top or bottom of the tier, but don't belong in the top tier (so in no order): Schaub, Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Romo, Vick, Flacco, Cutler...perhaps even Palmer (but he went where players go to die)

The others are in a lower tier(s)...

Eli isn't #1 for starters...but top 5

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Manning, P

Manning, E

Roethlisberger

The group following them is a cluster. Many one of them have cases to be on top or bottom of the tier, but don't belong in the top tier (so in no order): Schaub, Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Romo, Vick, Flacco, Cutler...perhaps even Palmer (but he went where players go to die)

The others are in a lower tier(s)...

They werent put in any order they just said those names as the top 4.

Rapeawoman isnt better than half the guys you put below him. His running game and defense have done more for him than some people give credit for.

They werent put in any order they just said those names as the top 4.

Rapeawoman isnt better than half the guys you put below him. His running game and defense have done more for him than some people give credit for.

If you want to believe that about Ben, it's your right.

I'd agree that he's had a good D...but he hasn't always had the good running game. And he's proven to come through when it matters most.