Andy Reid Supports Roger Goodell Cracking Down On The Saints

When NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Saints head coach Sean Payton for the year, one of Payton’s fellow NFL coaches, Philadelphia’s Andy Reid, thought that was the right call.

“I don’t agree with bounties,” Reid told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I know I don’t believe in that, and I know I support what the commissioner did.”

Reid says his support for Goodell goes beyond just the way he reacted to the Saints bounty scandal, and includes pretty much everything Goodell is doing to change the culture of professional football.

“You can still put a lick on a guy. You can still do that,” Reid said. “You just have to move your target, where you’re going to tackle, and I think that’s OK.”

Many NFL players have come forward to say Goodell is too heavy handed in the way he deals with discipline, from the Saints’ bounties to off-field misconduct and especially regarding fines and suspensions for on-field hits. Reid doesn’t see it that way.

“I think the league’s done a great job, and I think if you look at the big picture of Roger Goodell, people kind of micro-analyze him, I think. You have to look at the things that he’s doing he feels are the best for the game,” Reid said. “He’s making people accountable for their work and what they say and what they do, and I don’t think that’s bad.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/14/andy-reid-supports-roger-goodell-cracking-down-on-the-saints/

Now i like Reid and respect him as a coach. Ive always considered him to be one of the best.

But i do wonder if the South wasnt playing the East this season, would he still chime in on the Saints?

Think about it. I dont recall him commenting on spy gate. But then again we get stuck playing the freaking Eagles every year (and i hate it and the media that comes with it. Its the 1 game i wish would never get televised, but of course it always does and all we here is Vick, Vick, Vick....).

Maybe im reaching. But i wonder if this is part strategy motivated or if its honest feelings.

I would have to assume the comments were in response to questions being asked. I doubt Reid picked up the phone to call the Inquirer because he felt it was time to share his feelings on the subject...

This thread is also on the Saints board...and you can imagine the general response given their state of defensiveness. But after someone posted a comment about Reid's problems with his own sons, a poster replied with this:

"I wouldn't speak of the guy as a bad parent. His son made poor decisions that reflect poorly on the man, but don't speak to what kind of parent he is. I got expelled from school for blowing up a toilet. My parents never said it was a good idea, as a matter of fact they disapproved and discouraged me from making dumb decisions, however I still made dumb decisions because I was young and stupid. That shouldn't reflect on my parents. so think about stupid stuff you did when you were younger in spite your parents better teachings."

They were wise words...and honest words. If you're not a parent yet yourself, it may be that you just aren't aware how true his words are. I know, as a parent of two 9 year olds, that I strive every day to teach them how to grow into being good people. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't still very worried about what outside influences may get to them in negative ways. As a parent, you can only do the best you can...but kids will be confronted with other influences...some you've even spoken to them about in length (in an attempt to be proactive). At the end of the day, the individual will make his/her own choices. Do the bad choices they make reflect badly on the parents?

Yes they do. That is just the society we live in.

Sometimes the criticism parents get for their kids wrong-doings is justified...but not always. I know I had very good parents...and still found my share of trouble when I was younger. Nothing close to the degree of Andy's kids...but my sister did. She knows it was her decisions, and not the lack of knowledge given to us ahead of time by our parents that led her down that road.

Just something to consider before we start to paint people win troubled kids as bad parents. Being a parent is truly the hardest, most challenging, job there is.

This thread is also on the Saints board...and you can imagine the general response given their state of defensiveness. But after someone posted a comment about Reid's problems with his own sons, a poster replied with this:

"I wouldn't speak of the guy as a bad parent. His son made poor decisions that reflect poorly on the man, but don't speak to what kind of parent he is. I got expelled from school for blowing up a toilet. My parents never said it was a good idea, as a matter of fact they disapproved and discouraged me from making dumb decisions, however I still made dumb decisions because I was young and stupid. That shouldn't reflect on my parents. so think about stupid stuff you did when you were younger in spite your parents better teachings."

They were wise words...and honest words. If you're not a parent yet yourself, it may be that you just aren't aware how true his words are. I know, as a parent of two 9 year olds, that I strive every day to teach them how to grow into being good people. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't still very worried about what outside influences may get to them in negative ways. As a parent, you can only do the best you can...but kids will be confronted with other influences...some you've even spoken to them about in length (in an attempt to be proactive). At the end of the day, the individual will make his/her own choices. Do the bad choices they make reflect badly on the parents?

Yes they do. That is just the society we live in.

Sometimes the criticism parents get for their kids wrong-doings is justified...but not always. I know I had very good parents...and still found my share of trouble when I was younger. Nothing close to the degree of Andy's kids...but my sister did. She knows it was her decisions, and not the lack of knowledge given to us ahead of time by our parents that led her down that road.

Just something to consider before we start to paint people win troubled kids as bad parents. Being a parent is truly the hardest, most challenging, job there is.

Reids job makes it to where he is never home. That could be a big part of the problem.

I for one know how it feels to watch your parents cry because of bad decisions by there kids.

It does reflect on them and my mom and dad are two very good people.

Reids job makes it to where he is never home. That could be a big part of the problem.

I for one know how it feels to watch your parents cry because of bad decisions by there kids.

It does reflect on them and my mom and dad are two very good people.

Yes his job has him absent much of the time...but his kids are older now. But even so, there are many jobs that keep one parent away from home...it's not a dilemma exclusive to NFL coaches.

I've criticized Reid up and down as a coach...while at the same time realizing his strengths as a HC (fans are tough to please without a Lombardi trophy). Despite my criticism of him, I feel he offers more positives than negatives as a head coach. I do feel be is a very good person...and my gut tells me he was/is a good parent as well. A person can be the best teacher in the world, but it's still up to the student to learn.

Look at TO, Donte Stallworth, Michael Vick, Leonard Little, Michael Irvin, Adam Jones...etc, now answer your question.

Not sure what your point is here...that there are a few bad seeds? It's to be expected after all....There are 1,700 people on NFL rosters each year.

Not sure what your point is here...that there are a few bad seeds? It's to be expected after all....There are 1,700 people on NFL rosters each year.

Oh, there are plenty more. Ever heard of the saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch"? Some of these players arent mature enough not to have supervision.