Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Package

If Brees Sits Out The Season...

63 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if Drew Brees sits out this season because he refuses to sign the tag, would the Saints be able to tag him again in 2013 and beyond or would he be unrestricted at that point. I have not found anything that definitively answers that question on the inter web. Thanks.

I'd take the 16 mil because if they go 8-8 that will fet him back to the 100 mil level. A smart man would sit it out and watch the franchise bleed without him. Then he would get his 130 mil.

8-8 he's only gonna get an 75-80 mil contract and I think that's what the saints honestly expect this season.

sdogg likes this

He'll sit out. Even if he sits out a year, another team will pay him what he wants to make up for it. The Chargers franchised him and he blew his shoulder out. They let him walk the next year. He's still angry about that.

Danish falconer and UK13 like this

Seriously, no matter how much a player hates it, none of them will pass up 10 million or more guaranteed. Just ask Grimes

he can sit out for 10 games and then come back for the final 6 to make sure the tag leaves him. I don't think he's above sitting out 10 games either. He could come back in, go 4-2 or 5-1 in the last 6 games and still get a 100+ million contract.

Falconcheff likes this

I want him to play so we can crush them and i cant wait for all the teams in the NFL to go after them after this Bounty BS.

If you have concluded the Saints are a dirty team, I see you think the rest are no different.

"Pot calling the Kettle Black"?

Brees will play this year, so you will have to wish for something else to happen to give you a shot at winning the NFC South.

Kevo likes this

If you have concluded the Saints are a dirty team, I see you think the rest are no different.

"Pot calling the Kettle Black"?

Brees will play this year, so you will have to wish for something else to happen to give you a shot at winning the NFC South.

That's funny that we have "no shot" as I have the Taints finishing no better than 3rd in the NFC South this year. biggrin.png

That's funny that we have "no shot" as I have the Taints finishing no better than 3rd in the NFC South this year. biggrin.png

That's why they play the games.

Bob Ðigital likes this

Brees is in a bad situation. Nobody else can afford him without dropping $20 million in salary and the Stains are well aware of it. He wants to get paid on principle due to what he's done for the franchise, and he's right to believe that he should. The team wants to consider the market for him, and there is essentially none. He'll play this season, but he's right to use all the leverage at his disposal to get a multi-year deal.

I thought, and I may be wrong. That the Saints have until July 15 to either sign him to a long-term deal, or to get him to sign the franchise tag. Plus, Brees isn't trying to use this as leverage to get a long-term deal. He signed the franchise tag in San Diego, and got injured. The Saints were one of the few teams to give him a shot. He knows that this may not happen again.

Brees is in a bad situation. Nobody else can afford him without dropping $20 million in salary and the Stains are well aware of it. He wants to get paid on principle due to what he's done for the franchise, and he's right to believe that he should. The team wants to consider the market for him, and there is essentially none. He'll play this season, but he's right to use all the leverage at his disposal to get a multi-year deal.

As far as bad situations go, it can get worse than making a million dollars per game.

citsalp and paulitik like this

If he doesn't get a deal, he definitely will sit out.

He actually might.

Brees has shown the last couple of years that he has a tremendously large ego.