Is Dominique Davis Better Than Jpw ?

One of my nieces went to EC...I never got up there to see Davis play but I saw him a couple of times on ESPN2.

EC did play a type of run and shoot offense....so Davis was in the shotgun most of the time..Just at EC though....at BC and the community college where he played Davis took snaps from under center.

Good size, good accuracy, very solid arm....runs somewhere around a 4.5.

With a little luck he could eventually be backing up Ryan...He has the skill set...This isn't a typical UDFA camp arm.

Good deal, thanks man that was the kind of info I was looking for ....one good thing about a run and shoot and with his stats, he must be pretty good at hitting receivers in stride and throwing to a specific spot on the field ...yea, it sounds like they brought this kid in to compete, not just a camp fodder arm .......

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good deal, thanks man that was the kind of info I was looking for ....one good thing about a run and shoot and with his stats, he must be pretty good at hitting receivers in stride and throwing to a specific spot on the field ...yea, it sounds like they brought this kid in to compete, not just a camp fodder arm .......

He could certainly compete with Redman and JPW. I just hate the thought of Ryan going down and one of those goons (especially JPW) going in and being our QB. I'd rather sign Therriault and Dominique Davis and let those dudes fight it out for the #3/#2 spot.

Wow man, had no clue ....be a trip if they hooked back up, maybe they be room mates at camp, I'm sure Quizz be bunking with James as well ........laugh.png

Continuity is the key as per Dimitroff. 2 Badgers in one draft...two guys from Mississippi schools. A guy from the state of Georgia. Then two Samoans in the FA and Samuel is from the Dimitroff era in New England.

I saw him play ONCE against either Army or Navy. It's hard watching those low budget colleges on tv. The picture quality always seems to suck a lil worst. But from what I seen dude is more of a run around the pocket playmaker type QB. He stood in the pocket and doesn't see his first or 2nd read and took off started scrambling around trying to find a WR. Either Navy has one he77 of a defense or this kid has talent that's gonna need some serious tuning. This was only 1 game and I didn't give it 100% of my attention, but ECU did win the game on his playmaking ability late in the 4th.

Continuity is the key as per Dimitroff. 2 Badgers in one draft...two guys from Mississippi schools. A guy from the state of Georgia. Then two Samoans in the FA and Samuel is from the Dimitroff era in New England.

That was also the Steelers philosophy under Cower ......I see alot of parallels between that regime and ours .......

Personally I dont see how JPW beat out Shockley. I know Shockley wasnt killing it by any means, but neither was JPW. Ryan and Redmon have like skill sets, so to me we should have kept Shockley. A player with a different skill set than those two. In this case I say the same with Davis over JPW.

Shockley got cut because he never rebounded from the broken leg went Vick got arrested. He was slated to be the starter and broke his leg in pre-season. After that he went to Europe where he was re-injured. Last I heard he was back home working with UGA.

Davis and East Carolina could not be stopped by a South Carlina defense that had several players taken this year in the NFL draft. I saw that game and EC should have won, but they inserted Garcia in the 2nd half and the EC defense folded.

But, the SC defense which was one of the best in the country could not stop Davis and the air attack he put on. He is a keeper.

All I know is what I saw on youtube and this is only the opinion of a fans untrained eye. Personnally I like his arm strength but that is not an advantage over JPW as he has good arm strength too. Davis is a good athlete but when I saw him scramble he never got far beyond the LOS maybe one yard gains. Not an elite athlete. JPW is about the same.

DD looks more accurate to me but we will see in camp and hopefully PS. Davis does come from an offense which had him throw to a WR behind the LOS while another WR picked the coverage. JPW came from an offense that mostly ran the ball. JPW has first advantage of NFL experience.

My concern with JPW is that he has yet to challenge for #2 QB and that is the point of developing a #3 if you carry him on the 53. If neither shows enough progress through camp they will be competeing for a practice squad slot. JPW needs to show marked improvement or else he is likely done while Davis could get a shot as a developmental. If let go I expect the Vikes or Jags will pick up JPW as their #3. We just have to see how quickly Davis can soak up the offense and more importantly translate it to the field in live action. If he does that he will have beaten out Wilson who has failed to do so.

One thing the levels the playing field is that both are being exposed to our new offense from page one. Wilson might have gotten a couple months head start prior to the draft. I believe Davis has better tools and poise though and that is why I am rooting for him to win #3. He really stood in there against south carolina and they have a lot of good pass rushers on their DL. He is a QB who can take off but he stayed in the pocket and threw vs SC very well. Wilson looks shell shocked to me at times. Davis may protect the ball better too with a much better TD/INT ratio.

Boston College

After sitting out the 2007 season with Matt Ryan leading the Boston College Eagles, in his second season he and Chris Crane vied for the position of quarterback early on in the 2008 season. Dominique got his first snaps in a game against University of Central Florida following a poor showing by Crane. He also played in the following game against University of Rhode Island, but then was benched by head coach Jeff Jagodzinski as Crane solidified his position.

Then in week 13 against Wake Forest Chris Crane went down in the 2nd Quarter and Dominique Davis came in with a 13-0 lead. Davis played mediocre, fumbling twice as the Boston College defense kept the game close until the final minutes of the game. Then with less than 4 minutes left Davis completed a long 3rd down to WR Rich Gunnell to put BC into scoring range. Following a pass to WR Brandon Robinson Davis capped the drive with a short run for the winning score. His first victory as a starter came on November 28, 2008. The 28-21 victory over the Maryland Terrapins clinched BC's spot in the 2008 ACC Championship Game.

Boston College

After sitting out the 2007 season with Matt Ryan leading the Boston College Eagles, in his second season he and Chris Crane vied for the position of quarterback early on in the 2008 season. Dominique got his first snaps in a game against University of Central Florida following a poor showing by Crane. He also played in the following game against University of Rhode Island, but then was benched by head coach Jeff Jagodzinski as Crane solidified his position.

Then in week 13 against Wake Forest Chris Crane went down in the 2nd Quarter and Dominique Davis came in with a 13-0 lead. Davis played mediocre, fumbling twice as the Boston College defense kept the game close until the final minutes of the game. Then with less than 4 minutes left Davis completed a long 3rd down to WR Rich Gunnell to put BC into scoring range. Following a pass to WR Brandon Robinson Davis capped the drive with a short run for the winning score. His first victory as a starter came on November 28, 2008. The 28-21 victory over the Maryland Terrapins clinched BC's spot in the 2008 ACC Championship Game.

Thanks because I know little to nothing about this kid

ECU fan here...

Davis is good yes...... Don't head out and have a jersey made or anything. good arm.... good accuracy. limited athleticism....... and I will say his decision making can be quite questionable at times.... however that will likely improve.

also not always the greatest downfield thrower from my memory...... however his receivers were quite limited last year, so that should be noted.....If i recall correctly when dwayne harris was on the team he could look quite brilliant at times..... last year not so much...

Urgh, I was afraid of that ........

Yeah hes got a lot to learn... They predominately ran out of the shotgun, and they ran a ton of wr screen plays, which allows them to rack up yards.

I can't see him making the roster, but he does have some tools so we should stick him On the PT and see how he develops.