Falcons' Offensive Line Ranking

The Falcons’ Offensive Line (OL) is currently ranked behind all the teams in their division and near the bottom of the league. Specifically, at least according to this writer, Carolina, ranked at 5th, has the best OL in the division. Tampa Bay is second ranked at 10th, and New Orleans is ranked at 12th. The Falcons’ OL is ranked overall at 28th. Despite how optimistic we are, this ranking appears to be with Konz in the lineup. Do you agree with the writer Evan Silva?

http://www.rotoworld...e-rankings?pg=1

Really? Shocking news! I guess that why TD addressed that area via the draft a little more ernestly than in the past and with Ovie being cut, maybe he's not done, Mcneil?

Certainly not shocking news. However, what is interesting about the ranking is that it is with Konz in the lineup. Here's his take:

28. Atlanta Falcons

LT: Sam Baker

LG: Justin Blalock*

C: Todd McClure*

RG: Peter Konz

RT: Tyson Clabo*

Top reserves: OT Will Svitek*, G/C Joe Hawley*, OG Mike Johnson, G/T Garrett Reynolds, OG Vince Manuwai, OT Lamar Holmes.

Overview: Line play was Atlanta's Achilles' heel last year, on both sides of the ball. Needs drafter GM Thomas Dimitroff devoted his first two picks to offensive linemen, his third to a lane-clearing lead blocker, and fourth to a defensive end. While Konz may shore up right guard, some of last year's problems remain. In addition to battling a chronic back injury, Baker has struggled mightily to protect Matt Ryan, and 2011 late-season replacement Svitek wasn't a whole lot better. McClure has a bad knee and turned 35 in February. Blalock and Clabo are strong starters, and the Falcons don't lack for experienced depth, but this is no better than a below-average line.

No because he has never seen Konz play in the NFL. If he was talking about last season, that sounds about right. Our line was terrible most of the time.

I am inclined to agree with you here. But it appears that he thinks the Falcons' OL needs more than Konz. Hoping that he is wrong.

"Overview: Line play was Atlanta's Achilles' heel last year, on both sides of the ball. Needs drafter GM Thomas Dimitroff devoted his first two picks to offensive linemen, his third to a lane-clearing lead blocker, and fourth to a defensive end. While Konz may shore up right guard, some of last year's problems remain. In addition to battling a chronic back injury, Baker has struggled mightily to protect Matt Ryan, and 2011 late-season replacement Svitek wasn't a whole lot better. McClure has a bad knee and turned 35 in February. Blalock and Clabo are strong starters, and the Falcons don't lack for experienced depth, but this is no better than a below-average line."

Spot dam.n on!

You see, this is what both the astute and former football players at most any level have been saying--make that screaming--the past several years, especially last year, and that is we have a horrid OL in pass protection. Yet, all the Ryan bashers who wouldn't know a good O-line from an oblique line keep hammering him on the long ball which necessitates the time for the route to develop, the QB to throw it, and the repetitions that perfect it.

And this is on the Falcons entire management team...they have been so busy harvesting decorative players that they were blinded by the need for power players.

Many argue about Ryan's shortcomings, and indeed he has some; however I argue that this has been an overall average to above average team that Matt Ryan has made better the past four years. What he did his first three season was outstanding, especially the 2007 crime scene he took to an 11-5 record the very next year. However, this past season was the worst performance yet from this weak OL and the record reflected this.

He is a good QB that can be great with an above average to good OL, and it's well overdue this is being addressed.

Edited by Quarterback

I know people want to hammer Ryan for the offensive short comings but I truly believe the bulk (or lack thereof) falls on the O Line.

When you have a 240 lb wrecking ball of a RB and the O Line fails to get a push on 4th and 1 it is a testament to the lack of talent upfront and TD's arrogance to trot out a less than stellar line.

You guys remember 2008 ? The esteemed media type jokes at Sporting News predicted we would win one game, and their analyst said, I quote, " The Falcons very possibly could have the worst offensive line in the entire history of the NFL " .......that line went on to give up 17 sacks, and open up holes for the second ranked rushing team in the league ........this ranking means jacksquat .........

I think we are way underrated. I still say Manuwai is going to start at RG week 1. McClure or Konz will start at Center.

I wish these pundits would do a little bit of research and then scrutinize their own rankings of this team. We will see Ryan rated outside of the top 10, Turner rated outside the top 10, our offensive line rated at 28, yet we still had the 10th overall rated offense and we were 7th in scoring.

Either Ryan/Turner/Roddy/Julio are awesome and able to overcome one of the worst offensive lines in football, or they are all alot better than what the pundits rate them. They can't all be horrible and still be one of the top offenses in the league.

Yeah, this is a dead-on assessment. There were times I was appalled last year at how the offensive line got pushed around; especially at right guard. That's why I was over the moon at the Konz pick and the versatility he brings. I won't be fully at ease until left tackle is properly addressed, but I will say this, offensive line is one of those position groups that can be totally impacted (positively or negatively) by coaching. You don't necessarily need stars to have a productive unit, and Pat Hill is one of the best offensive line coaches in all of football.

You guys remember 2008 ? The esteemed media type jokes at Sporting News predicted we would win one game, and their analyst said, I quote, " The Falcons very possibly could have the worst offensive line in the entire history of the NFL " .......that line went on to give up 17 sacks, and open up holes for the second ranked rushing team in the league ........this ranking means jacksquat .........

in fairness to the unnamed writer, Falcons were horrid in pass blocking in 2008 as well. Falcons have always been putrid with this bunch in pass blocking - just not as bad as last year.

You will know the offensive line is better when Matt is not throwing the ball away so much - he has more throw-aways than any other QB in the league - waaaay too much pressure in his face and from the edges - and yes - 2008 included - just because an O-Line does not give up a lot of sacks does not mean much when the O-Line allows QB pressures right and left.

in fairness to the unnamed writer, Falcons were horrid in pass blocking in 2008 as well. Falcons have always been putrid with this bunch in pass blocking - just not as bad as last year.

You will know the offensive line is better when Matt is not throwing the ball away so much - he has more throw-aways than any other QB in the league - waaaay too much pressure in his face and from the edges - and yes - 2008 included - just because an O-Line does not give up a lot of sacks does not mean much when the O-Line allows QB pressures right and left.

Sheet Dawg, that was a pretty decent line in 2008 ..........

The line was affected by the lack of an offseason because it depended on physicality and it wasn't in shape going into the season, plus we just did not have a starting RG last year. It can get back to where it was in 2010 if Konz or someone else can step in at RG and get the job done.

I think we are way underrated. I still say Manuwai is going to start at RG week 1. McClure or Konz will start at Center.

I wish these pundits would do a little bit of research and then scrutinize their own rankings of this team. We will see Ryan rated outside of the top 10, Turner rated outside the top 10, our offensive line rated at 28, yet we still had the 10th overall rated offense and we were 7th in scoring.

Either Ryan/Turner/Roddy/Julio are awesome and able to overcome one of the worst offensive lines in football, or they are all alot better than what the pundits rate them. They can't all be horrible and still be one of the top offenses in the league.

No research needed IMHO, we are talking about the Oline rankings here - Be honest, the only reason we ranked as high as we did in overall offense was the play calling that MM was forced to utilize due to our Oline limitatations, i.e., Turner off tackle, short to intermediate passes or Ryan having to throw the ball in the third row at last resort. Anyone with half a brain can't believe that between AB's comments regarding the Oline's performance at the end of the year presser and TD's sudden attention to this area in the draft is merely coincidential. Our Oline sucked.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

The line was affected by the lack of an offseason because it depended on physicality and it wasn't in shape going into the season, plus we just did not have a starting RG last year. It can get back to where it was in 2010 if Konz or someone else can step in at RG and get the job done.

Please. Any team's preceived weakness can be expained away with that crutch. To my knowledge, no team had an off season last year.

No research needed IMHO, we are talking about the Oline rankings here - Be honest, the only reason we ranked as high as we did in overall offense was the play calling that MM was forced to utilize due to our Oline limitatations, i.e., Turner off tackle, short to intermediate passes or Ryan having to throw the ball in the third row at last resort. Anyone with half a brain can't believe that between AB's comments regarding the Oline's performance at the end of the year presser and TD's sudden attention to this area in the draft is merely coincidential. Our Oline sucked.

I guess I should've clarified. I agree that our OL is abysmal and I don't think our 28th ranking is far off going from last year's results. I'm just saying that Ryan, Turner, Roddy, and Julio should be rated a lot higher than what I normally see due to the fact that our OL sucks and our offense is still one of the better one's in the league.

Evan Silva is more of a fantasy reporter . I have never seen a piece he writes that has much merit outside fantasy aspect . I would trust ProFootballFocus rankings over rotoworld writer .

17. Atlanta Falcons (6th)

Run Rank 23rd, Pass Rank 13th, Penalties Rank 10th

In the offseason, the Falcons were concerned about potentially losing three of their starting linemen. The fact that they lost only one (Harvey Dahl) and dropped off so significantly has to be a worry for where this unit is heading. They struggled to get much push in the run game, and didn’t do a great job of keeping their QB upright when it mattered. This is a line that bullies weaker opposition, then gets bullied by better defenses.

Best Player: Tyson Clabo (+13.7) is a good right tackle who holds his own in pass protection (the second-ranked RT in our Pass Blocking Efficiency), though you’d like to see him do a little more in the run game.

Worst Player: It wasn’t a surprise when Sam Baker (-16.4) was benched, in the same way it wasn’t a surprise when Garrett Reynolds (-13.8) took a ride on the pine. Both men looked horrible when they saw the field, though Baker (especially his woeful Week 2) gets the nod, and with it the tag: “first round bust”.

Offensive Line is middle of the pack .

Agreed.

Evan Silva is more of a fantasy reporter . I have never seen a piece he writes that has much merit outside fantasy aspect . I would trust ProFootballFocus rankings over rotoworld writer .

17. Atlanta Falcons (6th)

Run Rank 23rd, Pass Rank 13th, Penalties Rank 10th

In the offseason, the Falcons were concerned about potentially losing three of their starting linemen. The fact that they lost only one (Harvey Dahl) and dropped off so significantly has to be a worry for where this unit is heading. They struggled to get much push in the run game, and didn’t do a great job of keeping their QB upright when it mattered. This is a line that bullies weaker opposition, then gets bullied by better defenses.

Best Player: Tyson Clabo (+13.7) is a good right tackle who holds his own in pass protection (the second-ranked RT in our Pass Blocking Efficiency), though you’d like to see him do a little more in the run game.

Worst Player: It wasn’t a surprise when Sam Baker (-16.4) was benched, in the same way it wasn’t a surprise when Garrett Reynolds (-13.8) took a ride on the pine. Both men looked horrible when they saw the field, though Baker (especially his woeful Week 2) gets the nod, and with it the tag: “first round bust”.

Offensive Line is middle of the pack .

That informaion about the author is helpful. I trust that ProFootballFocus still ranked us last in our division but better overall?

No need to get your feathers hackled over some hack's analysis of our OL. Nobody, not even Hill or Mike Smith know right now exactly, for sure, who the starters will be. So for somebody from outside to look at last year and try to extapolate a ranking on this year's group long before TC even starts is ludicrous. Nothing but off-season drivel, folks.

Edited by PokerSteve