Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OutkastFalcon

Defensive Scheme That Best Fits The Falcons.

43 posts in this topic

Since Mike Smith took over the Falcons we have seen a great improvement in the LB core.

To start I would say that the Falcons need to utilize the Nickel as much as possible. I can see the using a traditional 4 D-Line man, 2-LB, 3-CB and 2-S.

With Abraham and Edwards on the outside we should be fast enough to break past the tackles for pass rush, but I feel the problem comes when they get past the tackle only to meet a guard, to beat this problem I think we need a true NT, (I will explain more in a minute).

Then we have Babineaux, Peters, and Jerry on the inside. These guys have proven they can plug the gaps and stop the run, but most of the time do not demand a double team. If we were to set a big NT over the left of right guard, I think we can pull enough pressure on the pass to get a double team and free Abraham or Edwards.

Next is Spoon and Lofa/Dent. Spoon is great, but teams will be looking to move the plays away from him more, so I think that Lofa/Dent will be the biggest piece to the puzzle with pass coverage. They have to work the hardest in the film room and understand the different sets the defense comes out in every week. If we can get solid zone coverage in the middle, just enough to make those slants and crossing routes delay, i think our D-line will gain the respect they truly deserve.

The reason i chose the Nickel specifically is because of our newest player Samuel. With the talent we have in our top 3 CB's we should have them on the field as much as possible. I think that even on running downs, Dunta is more than enough to fill a OLB spot and plug the run, while also giving us a chance to drop into a quick audible for coverage on a TE or RB that delay's.

With all the action going on upfront our safeties will be given the chance to shine in the defense. They will be able to be more of a help in coverage on the fast WR's and not as much of a liability because a coverage was blown elsewhere.

I like the nickel because we can also switch to a 3-3-5 and basically be in a 3-4 scheme on those 3rd downs that plagued our defense.

This is my first topic, hope you guys enjoy it and hope I can be a great source of ideas for years to come.

What are your ideas?

niels petersen likes this

3-3-5 is a good look, however, I think a "2-4-5" in the Nickel package would also be a great look,with Abe and Biermann standing up as the two outside linebackers to send more confusion to the offense. This formation would set more of a "Who's blitzing? who's covering?" thought to the QB while he is processing through his reads, which is nearly impossible do while he still has the three headed CB tandem, the safeties and the 2 MLB's to worry about on 3rd down. Then we could have Peters and Babs on the inside or possibly Ray Edwards on the inside to stop a possible draw play, not to mention Spoon and Tatupu/Dent to cover his backside at the two MLB spots. Since both Abe and Biermann have a lot of familiarity with the 3-4, the 2-4-5 Nickel formation shouldn't be a problem for them. Now I do agree with the NT, I'm suprised Aubrayo Franklin is not in a Falcons uniform, with that being said if we have not picked up a NT now, I don't think we will get one anytime soon and it'll mean that they have a high amount of confidence in Corey Peters filling in that NT role. He's at 305 now I believe, it shouldn't be that diffitcult to gain maybe an extra 5 to be considered one, however its all about technique and if he can't play the right technique for the role then its a probability they look at someone like T-Rob out of South Carolina to compete for the spot on 3rd downs and if that does not work, Aubrayo would be great insurance.

niels petersen likes this

Never considered the 2-4-5, that is good too. I think the most interesting part of that is we could always change it up depending on how the game was going. If we put Abraham and Babineaux on the line, stand up Spoon and Edwards on the OLB spot then have Tatupu, and Dent in the middle, that could really have defenses thinking. Imagine one play blitzing spoon while Abe drops in a small zone (he is okay at this) and the very next play Spoon in coverage with Abe while both Tatupu and Dent rush. I like it, a lot.

That is the best thing about this and why i started this thread. just to get some ideas out there of what everyone wants to see and what could work best for the players strength, hope Nolan is reading later too (even though he probably will never use any of this because he don't need to).

Since Mike Smith took over the Falcons we have seen a great improvement in the LB core.

To start I would say that the Falcons need to utilize the Nickel as much as possible. I can see the using a traditional 4 D-Line man, 2-LB, 3-CB and 2-S.

With Abraham and Edwards on the outside we should be fast enough to break past the tackles for pass rush, but I feel the problem comes when they get past the tackle only to meet a guard, to beat this problem I think we need a true NT, (I will explain more in a minute).

Then we have Babineaux, Peters, and Jerry on the inside. These guys have proven they can plug the gaps and stop the run, but most of the time do not demand a double team. If we were to set a big NT over the left of right guard, I think we can pull enough pressure on the pass to get a double team and free Abraham or Edwards.

Next is Spoon and Lofa/Dent. Spoon is great, but teams will be looking to move the plays away from him more, so I think that Lofa/Dent will be the biggest piece to the puzzle with pass coverage. They have to work the hardest in the film room and understand the different sets the defense comes out in every week. If we can get solid zone coverage in the middle, just enough to make those slants and crossing routes delay, i think our D-line will gain the respect they truly deserve.

The reason i chose the Nickel specifically is because of our newest player Samuel. With the talent we have in our top 3 CB's we should have them on the field as much as possible. I think that even on running downs, Dunta is more than enough to fill a OLB spot and plug the run, while also giving us a chance to drop into a quick audible for coverage on a TE or RB that delay's.

With all the action going on upfront our safeties will be given the chance to shine in the defense. They will be able to be more of a help in coverage on the fast WR's and not as much of a liability because a coverage was blown elsewhere.

I like the nickel because we can also switch to a 3-3-5 and basically be in a 3-4 scheme on those 3rd downs that plagued our defense.

This is my first topic, hope you guys enjoy it and hope I can be a great source of ideas for years to come.

What are your ideas?

fixed

Never considered the 2-4-5, that is good too. I think the most interesting part of that is we could always change it up depending on how the game was going. If we put Abraham and Babineaux on the line, stand up Spoon and Edwards on the OLB spot then have Tatupu, and Dent in the middle, that could really have defenses thinking. Imagine one play blitzing spoon while Abe drops in a small zone (he is okay at this) and the very next play Spoon in coverage with Abe while both Tatupu and Dent rush. I like it, a lot.

That is the best thing about this and why i started this thread. just to get some ideas out there of what everyone wants to see and what could work best for the players strength, hope Nolan is reading later too (even though he probably will never use any of this because he don't need to).

Love the op. In this situation i really think Edwards is not the 34 olb type. I do not see Nolan wanting to line him up anywhere except on the line in one way or another.

Only thing is I don't know about Ray Edwards standing up, unless he has been involved with doing so for the Vikings. I have always seen Edwards down in a 4-3, However, with guys like Massaqoui, Biermann and Sidbury, this formation can, without a doubt, be put into serious consideration. I would put Edwards at a Run-stopping DE on the inside in the formation, and Spoon could definitely work out as an MLB or OLB in this scheme because he has elite speed for both spots. I do think that he needs to bulk up though, especially if Nolan decides to use him as a 2-4-5 OLB coming off the edge.

i think the only reason you stand Edwards up is to confuse, he will still be rushing at all cost. I don't really think that Spoon needs to bulk up, he is pretty good at handling the o-line from what I saw.

The best part about this is that with Asante now in Atlanta, I think we have enough coverage to give us many different options with our front.

The notion that Dunta Robinson is a good tackler and could support the run is just, well, flat out hilarious. Don't get me wrong buddy is a great hitter. One of the fiercest in the league. But he can't tackle worth a dam. Trust me. There is a big difference. I think one of the sports rags posted an article a few days ago about him being one of, if not the worst tackler in the league. It's true.

The notion that Dunta Robinson is a good tackler and could support the run is just, well, flat out hilarious. Don't get me wrong buddy is a great hitter. One of the fiercest in the league. But he can't tackle worth a dam. Trust me. There is a big difference. I think one of the sports rags posted an article a few days ago about him being one of, if not the worst tackler in the league. It's true.

Well I will admit that the only plays I can remember of him right now are BIG hits. Even if he is not the greatest tackler, if he can at least hit a guy enough to slow him down, that can be a big help. I guess my big draw to Dunta is his strength. He just seems like he has a strong aggressive nature and that to me is what a Nickel corner needs.

If you find that post, send me a link.. I always want as much info as possible, guess I should have read more on the subject first.

He's a little better than Samuels ..........ph34r.png

Asante had the 19th most wth 8.

The year before though, Asante was the worst in the league by a fair margin. Asante has "consistency" working with him.

The year before though, Asante was the worst in the league by a fair margin. Asante has "consistency" working with him.

Actually the year before Grimes had more missed tackles than Asante. Let's face it, our top three corners are not known for their run support or tackling prowess.

4-2-5 is where we will go.

The guy they need to bring in to anchor this defense is Aubrayo Franklin.

I think this will happen they just need to make a couple of cuts to get him in under the cap now wheather that is PJ Baker Ovie Johnson or whoever I completely agree OP we need a true NT.

4-2-5 is where we will go.

The guy they need to bring in to anchor this defense is Aubrayo Franklin.

I think this will happen they just need to make a couple of cuts to get him in under the cap now wheather that is PJ Baker Ovie Johnson or whoever I completely agree OP we need a true NT.

^^^ Be on the look out for the TCU style Defense !!

a Big nose tackle wouldn't do anything different. Big nose tackles tend to only be good in the run game. I don't get the fascination that a big NT would help pass rush. Now, if it's a guy who is that big and that quick, he will go in the top 10. So, why not get a guy who is say, 305-310, and quick off hte snap... like oh, I don't know, Travian Robertson.

Actually the year before Grimes had more missed tackles than Asante. Let's face it, our top three corners are not known for their run support or tackling prowess.

Yes, but Grimes had fewer missed tackles per attempt. In 2009, Asante missed 1/3 of all his tackle attempts, far higher than anyone in the NFL(19 misses on 39 tackles). In 2010, Asante attempted 36 tackles, and missed 10 of them. So worst in the league in 2009, 2nd worst in 2010(Grimes wasn't even in the bottom 10), and in 2011 he was the 11th worst.

Grimes has never ranked in the bottom 10, Dunta ranked in the bottom 10 once(this past year), and Asante is having a great year for finishing 11th.

The type of scheme that best fits the Falcons will be wholly dependent on what they get out of Tatupu and Dent in the preseason. If Dent is slow to develop or Tatupu is slowed by age or injuries, then you'll see more of a shift to the Nickel as a base.

But Mike Smith is an old fashioned coach. He believes in stopping the run, and if they can get steady play in the middle, then this defense will stay a 4-3 Over with 1-gap, fast flow principles. Stop the run. Get the offense in long yardage so that Nolan can go to his exotic pressure packages.

This defense is still kind of a mystery to me, and I don't expect to get any answers until I well into the preseason. I don't know how complex, or how simple Nolan's going to keep it, but the best scheme is one that all 11 understands and is able to executes at a high level.

Oh, and I saw some talk of the 2-4-5 in the thread. Well, you get no real schematic advantage with it if you're keeping Abe and Beirmann on the field. As long as 55 is on the field, he's going to be keyed on in passing situations and when I did see him zone drop, it wasn't all that pretty last year, it wasn't all that pretty.

And I don't know if many people noticed, but Abe was a standup rusher last year. Right at the mid point of the season, I noticed him standing up in passing situations kinda playing the ELEphant position.

What I'd like to see is a 4DE package where Edwards slides inside and Biermann and Sid come in. I'd like Abe and Sid rushing from the same side, running stunts, etc.

Good read! We need a big NT and will get one soon IMHO, all depends on weather that is next year in the draft of in a UDFA this year. We will be going to a 3-4 D as soon as we can make the transition since most of the players we have drafted over the past 4 years best fit a 4-3 with a few exceptions.

Good read! We need a big NT and will get one soon IMHO, all depends on weather that is next year in the draft of in a UDFA this year. We will be going to a 3-4 D as soon as we can make the transition since most of the players we have drafted over the past 4 years best fit a 4-3 with a few exceptions.

Even though Nolan has repeatedly said that the team is going stay a 4-3 and he's not looking to transition them?

Even though Nolan has repeatedly said that the team is going stay a 4-3 and he's not looking to transition them?

Nolan is a 3-4 guy and that is what he does best, Beirman was resigned not just because he is a good DE or a backup to our current DE's but because he would be a monster at LB in a 3-4. We will go to a 3-4 if Nolan stays here. Nolan only said what he said because we do not have all of the pieces in place to pull off a true 3-4 D as of now.

Boogie Man likes this

So would bierman be the SOLB or WOLB?

Hard for me to say really cause I have no idea what the coaches think but my guess would be SOLB due to his DE talents.

Nolan is a 3-4 guy and that is what he does best, Beirman was resigned not just because he is a good DE or a backup to our current DE's but because he would be a monster at LB in a 3-4. We will go to a 3-4 if Nolan stays here. Nolan only said what he said because we do not have all of the pieces in place to pull off a true 3-4 D as of now.

from Mike Nolan:

“We are not trying to move this toward a 3-4,” Nolan said in a conference call. “I will flat say that.”

http://www.ajc.com/s...ns-1307102.html

When Nolan talked to Smitty about taking the job, they both sat down and watched film of the defense. Smith didn't mandate at all that he had to stay 4-3 to take the job. He was completely open-minded. Nolan didn't have to say promise or say anything to get the job. If Nolan wanted to move this team to a 3-4, the transition would be under way. At the very least, he could have left the door open, instead it was a pretty resolute response to the question. Anything beyond that is guesswork.

http://www.ajc.com/s...ns-1307102.html

When Nolan talked to Smitty about taking the job, they both sat down and watched film of the defense. Smith didn't mandate at all that he had to stay 4-3 to take the job. He was completely open-minded. Nolan didn't have to say promise or say anything to get the job. If Nolan wanted to move this team to a 3-4, the transition would be under way. At the very least, he could have left the door open, instead it was a pretty resolute response to the question. Anything beyond that is guesswork.

That is an interview and just like playing poker you never tip your hand on what you really want to do for all to see. He said the right things on the interview because we do not have the players in place as of now to pull off a true 3-4. But you can bank on if he stays here we will get those players in place to make that move. That is my opinion based off his history and coaching style. But feel free to not concur. Just my two cents