Vilma Getting Love From Nfl Players

Sample of tweets >>>>

Joe Horn‏@JoeHorn87

"What they should've done was suspended the offense with all due respect to the defense! Thats who will be bombing azzes this season lmao!!?

I wish I could say what I want to say right now, but I know that all eyes are on us right now. I'll just say it sucks, but we'll be fine!

- Lance Moore (@LanceMoore16) May 2, 2012

Kurt Warner: "I never felt that there was anything illegal. I don't believe they were ever trying to hit me low or hit my head."

Man these Suspensions are outrageous! I'm honestly speechless about how all of this has played out. Something needs to be done about this!!

- Reggie Bush (@reggie_bush) May 2, 2012

I do not agree on what HE has done to those players on the Saints. It is not right.. Smh Vilma for the year?? Not right

- Le'Ron McClain (@LeRon_McClain33) May 2, 2012

This is beyond ridiculous! I want to see the evidence and hear an explanation. Its sad when u have to hear about it on tv. Ridiculous!

- Jimmy Graham (@TheJimmyGraham) May 2, 2012

Damien Woody Conceding complete autonomy on discipline to the Commish might be the biggest snafu to the players in the new CBA

- Damien Woody (@damienwoody) May 2, 2012

I am just blown away by the decision to suspend Vilma for an entire year. All I can say is WOW!! I hope the @NFLPA @DeSmithNFLPA fight this!

- David Akers (@DavidAkers2) May 2, 2012

Ridiculous, and nobody really sees why the punishments have been so severe over the past 3 4years! Lawsuits and 18 games???

- James Harrison (@jharrison9292) May 2, 2012

I feel for u J.Vilma! Goodell not the entire season! We only get a average of 3years to play and u have taken a entire season from a man.

- Derrick Mason (@deemason85) May 2, 2012.

@LaMarrWoodley "Vilma suspended a whole yr FOR PLAYING FOOTBALL???? cmon man!!!!!!"

Scott Shanle (@scottshanle)

To take an entire season away from @JonVilma51 is absolutely ludicrous! portraying him in the way the NFL has done by blasting him on ESPN and Sports Illustrated is crazy and not fair...trust me

Darren Sharper (@sharper42)

Sad day in the NFL from too harsh of players suspensions to junior seau passing away. I'm really feeling terrible. #perseverance!!

Mark Ingram (@mark_ingram28)

Here come the WHODAT haters!! We don care bout y'all!! Sit on the couch n watch us work!! #WHODAT

Scott Shanle: "RT @greggrosenthal: Not one Saints player agreed to speak to NFL during investigation....not true. Get facts straight"

---

Robert Mathis, Colts: "I disagree w/ suspending the players.if u don't do what coaches say then u get replaced by sum1 who will attempt a career assassination on U"

---

Pierre Thomas: "we might as well start playing two hand tag cause this is madness!!"

---

Justin Drescher: "This is ridiculous! I don't understand and don't think anyone does! But add more fuel to the fire!"

---

David Akers, San Francisco: "I am just blown away by the decision to suspend Vilma for an entire year. All I can say is WOW!! I hope the @NFLPA @DeSmithNFLPA fight this!"

Akers responds to: "@DavidAkers2 @NFLPA @DeSmithNFLPA How do you defend someone who purposely tried to hurt people bad enough to have them carted off the field?" ... "I'm not defending, I'm saying it's a brutal sport and imposing ur physical will is what makes the game popular. A year suspension is harsh",/p.

---

Shawn Merriman, Buffalo: "From a player who spent 2 years rehabbing from a injury that was intentional/non intentional I hate to see these heavy suspensions "

---

LeCharles Bentley, retired: "Are players really trying to whine about Goodell being in charge...they agreed to it! #SoConfused"

---

Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh (from New Orleans): "WOW! Couldn't imagine missing a year of an already short career nor could I imagine taking money to end 1! What can you do? #bountygate"

"Wonder why the team got the least penalties in Bounty Gate! Think about who elects & reworded the commish, it's the owners of the trams!"

---

Bobby McCray, former Saints player: "Somethings you just can't control even if it involves taking food away from your family. It sucks but stay strong an positive... SMH!!!"

Travis Beckum: Sorry but the NFL isn't as pretty as it looks..these are grown men playing for their lively hood..it may have been extreme for vilma

Ben Tate: Do u think Vilma being suspend 4 a whole yr is fair?

Wally Williams: With the suspensions of Vilma and Co. This season...I wonder if the love fest during the draft is taken with a grain of salt with these rookies...#ThePrinciplehasSpoken!

Langston Moore: "all #nfl salaries are #bounties" truth! ChicagoSide | The Rush Of Battle: From Hunger Games to NFL Bountygate | ChicagoSide (***note from me: GREAT article!)

Antonio Pierce: I will be on @SportsCenter in 40 mins to talk the latest with the #Saints -- I say BS

Antonio Pierce: “@reggie_bush: I bet you won't find one NFL Player who agrees with these suspensions”--- players time to stand up and protest

Ryan Clady: A year suspension seems harsh for Vilma, thats 2.6 million dollars!! I think 5 to 8 games will be better. Hopefully he can appeal. NFLPA gonna have to go to work!

Derrick Mason: I agree there should b a punishment but not the season!

Hessley Hempsted: Here comes the big bad #NFL to dominate the news cycle again... #SAINTS players getting crushed with suspensions.

Then there is this article from ESPN this morning >>>

Jonathan Vilma, NFL scapegoat

By Mark Kreidler | Special to ESPN.com

In the end, Jonathan Vilma is a prop. He's a tool being manipulated by a commissioner trying to make much larger points.

Which, when you think about it, is not so far removed from the role that Vilma and his teammates play in the NFL in general. These are pieces on a chess board, only now they're being moved around for other purposes.

Commissioner Roger Goodell's one-season suspension of Vilma was so over the top that it had to be for effect, and indeed it was. Sending Vilma off the field for the same amount of time as Sean Payton, who as head coach of the Saints can be held directly responsible for the bounty scandal, is ludicrous -- but Goodell isn't interested in the appearance of fairness here. He is sending a message via jackhammer.

The severity of Vilma's punishment, in fact, leaves me with the strong impression that Goodell knows full well bounty systems exist in locker rooms around the NFL, however loosely structured and clumsily implemented they may be. They aren't Saints-level in their precision and payout; they may never have involved coaches. But they exist. And Goodell wants them stopped, even though almost any football cynic could tell you that'll never happen.

Goodell isn't interested in objective fairness here; if he were, he might take Vilma off the field for four games, perhaps eight. Fairness is not the point. Sending a message is the point. Perhaps it'll ultimately be lost amid a locker room culture that has always rewarded crushing hits that change games -- amid the culture of a sport that, in general, rewards the biggest hitters with the best contracts -- but that's the point all the same.

And Vilma is nothing more, really, than the object of Goodell's effort. All these years later, Vilma is a football prop. It is, for any NFL player, a fairly familiar theme.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes a message has to be sent to put fear in those other players that are watching. There are a ton of retired players that are having problems that they will struggle with for the rest of their lives. Player safety is a must, even if the current crop of players don't understand it. In 10-20 years, I bet a lot of this current crop of players will be suing the NFL, talking about "Not enough player safety".

You have to have substantial evidence not hear say is the problem. All Goodell has is word of mouth which would be laughed at in court.

No he does NOT just have word of mouth.

There is AUDIO EVIDENCE of Williams telling people to go after the outside ACL, there is audio evidence talking about going after the concussion of a player..... not to mention One of the players who was suspended , hargrove ADMITTED IT HAPPENED.

You saint fans are strait up pathetic when it comes to this.

I also find it funny most of those guys being quoted are either current or former saints.

You have some guys saying he should be suspended just not for a full year.

Which I agree with I think a year is a bit much. But most of the players who do NOT have ties too the saints not giving vilma "love"

No he does NOT just have word of mouth.

There is AUDIO EVIDENCE of Williams telling people to go after the outside ACL, there is audio evidence talking about going after the concussion of a player..... not to mention One of the players who was suspended , hargrove ADMITTED IT HAPPENED.

I also find it funny most of those guys being quoted are either current or former saints.

You have some guys saying he should be suspended just not for a full year.

Which I agree with I think a year is a bit much. But most of the players who do NOT have ties too the saints not giving vilma "love"

Theres like 10 from former/current players out of like 30, yea thats MOST! lol

What does GW audio have to do with Vilma getting a year. All that audio does is say GW is a sick individual. Nowhere in that audio does he say Vilma did something wrong!

Hargroves letter is STILL word of mouth. Its his word against Vilma

Go cry in TATF You pathetic baffoon!

******** when this goes to court he will get laughed out the room. Greg Williams audio is disturbing, but noone did a **** thing on the field. The NfL talking heads are already saying word of mouth is nothing now were is Vilmas voice saying hey I will pay this money. Not some joe blow in the ro who may have something against him.

We all know you hate the Saints it's cool I would too if you are always lookin up at big brother, your only claim on the matter is a document Hargrove supposivelu signed that noone has seen and an audio tape that noone got hurt from. I take that back Pierre got hurt.

Peyton admitted it happened,

Loomis admitted it happened

Williams admitted it happened

there is Audio and other evidence.... Not just of Williams. But also of a saints player saying after farve went down " pay me my money"

You have a player Hargove who admitted there WAS a program and that he DID participate in it.

Either you are blind or you are just stupid to think there is no evidence for this. And please do not trot our the NFLPA.... Brees has a DIRECT conflict of interest in the whole thing.

Peyton admitted it happened,

Loomis admitted it happened

Williams admitted it happened

there is Audio and other evidence.... Not just of Williams. But also of a saints player saying after farve went down " pay me my money"

You have a player Hargove who admitted there WAS a program and that he DID participate in it.

Either you are blind or you are just stupid to think there is no evidence for this. And please do not trot our the NFLPA.... Brees has a DIRECT conflict of interest in the whole thing.

please show me where anybody specifically admitted that a bounty pay for injuries system was in place. put up or shut up...back up your words with FACTS

keep in mind the FACT that Gregg Williams was not allowed to present his own apology. Goodell gave him his script after telling him his future in the league depended on him playing ball

that is my challenge to you.

Theres like 10 from former/current players out of like 30, yea thats MOST! lol

What does GW audio have to do with Vilma getting a year. All that audio does is say GW is a sick individual. Nowhere in that audio does he say Vilma did something wrong!

Hargroves letter is STILL word of mouth. Its his word against Vilma

Go cry in TATF You pathetic baffoon!

So lets see, you have an audio indicating it happened, and a player ADMITTING it happened.

that is called

Corroborating evidence.

the only pathetic buffoon here is you cry baby saint fans who support a team who played dirty and cheated.

Now they got caught and reaping what they sowed and now you want to ***** about it.

There is MORE than enough evidence to point to it happening. You TAINTED ( pun very much intended) fans just do not want to admit it.

this is basically you.

hear-no-evil_see-no-evil_speak-no-evil.jpg

So lets see, you have an audio indicating it happened, and a player ADMITTING it happened.

that is called

Corroborating evidence.

the only pathetic buffoon here is you cry baby saint fans who support a team who played dirty and cheated.

Now they got caught and reaping what they sowed and now you want to ***** about it.

There is MORE than enough evidence to point to it happening. You TAINTED ( pun very much intended) fans just do not want to admit it.

this is basically you.

What audio admitting it happened? GW audio doesnt admit anything.

Hargroves letter is hear say from a disgruntled Employee whose been in trouble with the league before and cant get in trouble again.

What else you got?

Your just mad cause payton and brees own the falcons

that is called

Corroborating evidence.

this is basically you.

hear-no-evil_see-no-evil_speak-no-evil.jpg

please show me where anybody specifically admitted that a bounty pay for injuries system was in place. put up or shut up...back up your words with FACTS

keep in mind the FACT that Gregg Williams was not allowed to present his own apology. Goodell gave him his script after telling him his future in the league depended on him playing ball

still waiting

http://www.acmepacki...een-bay-packers

"Hargrove actively participated in the program while a member of the Saints. Hargrove submitted a signed declaration to the league that established not only the existence of the program at the Saints, but also that he knew about and participated in it. The evidence showed that Hargrove told at least one player on another team that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre was a target of a large bounty during the NFC Championship Game in January of 2010. Hargrove also actively obstructed the league's 2010 investigation into the program by being untruthful to investigators."

Oh yeah there was and independent review of everything

http://profootballta...ounty-evidence/

http://profootballta...ty-suspensions/

Has the same blurb as I posted above about Hargrove ADMITTING there was a bounty on Farve..

http://www.acmepacki...een-bay-packers

"Hargrove actively participated in the program while a member of the Saints. Hargrove submitted a signed declaration to the league that established not only the existence of the program at the Saints, but also that he knew about and participated in it. The evidence showed that Hargrove told at least one player on another team that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre was a target of a large bounty during the NFC Championship Game in January of 2010. Hargrove also actively obstructed the league's 2010 investigation into the program by being untruthful to investigators."

Oh yeah there was and independent review of everything

http://profootballta...ounty-evidence/

http://profootballta...ty-suspensions/

Has the same blurb as I posted above about Hargrove ADMITTING there was a bounty on Farve..

no sir. your claim was that Payton, Loomis, and Williams admitted it and you know it

remember when we had that political debate where I changed my mind because of the facts you presented?

at least I was man enough to admit when I was wrong. I didn't try this cheap, pathetic move of deflecting the issue

It's pretty much concrete that the Bounty Program did happen.

The conspiracy theory that the Saints are Victims and the NFL is fabricating all of this.....or just dishing out punishments because Goodell heard something, somewhere, that one time....is as silly as the conspiracy theory that all the games are fixed...and the winner of each game is known before hand, and the eventual SB champion is decided during the off-season.

My biggest issue is that Vilma's supervisor encouraged and implemented this. And if what Steve Smith said is even remotely true... Then all the players have a case that they should not be punished.

Which is a huge departure from when the Williams tape came out and I said this proves the players shouldn't be punished.

The evidence supporting today’s disciplinary decisions is based on extensive documentation and interviews with multiple sources. The information was developed by NFL Security, working with independent forensic analysts, and the disciplinary decisions are each based on evidence that has been independently corroborated by multiple sources. The facts supporting the discipline issued today are largely the same as the facts that Commissioner Goodell relied upon in March in assessing discipline on the club and several non-player employees. Those facts have been part of the public record for two months and have not been disputed by the team or the individuals involved.

“No bounty program can exist without active player participation,” Commissioner Goodell said. “The evidence clearly showed that the players being held accountable today willingly and enthusiastically embraced the bounty program. Players put the vast majority of the money into this program and they share responsibility for playing by the rules and protecting each other within those rules.

It's pretty much concrete that the Bounty Program did happen.

The conspiracy theory that the Saints are Victims and the NFL is fabricating all of this.....or just dishing out punishments because Goodell heard something, somewhere, that one time....is as silly as the conspiracy theory that all the games are fixed...and the winner of each game is known before hand, and the eventual SB champion is decided during the off-season.

nobody is denying that they gave extra money for performance on the field.

In the latest NFL news letter, It says that Vilma is getting a year cause he put up money for these performance plays. A YEAR for giving someone money for an INT or Fumble recovery! Thats ridiculous

Although the NFL insisted several times in its statement Wednesday that it had evidence of "a significant number of players" participating in the bounty/incentive program, and said it shared that list of names with the NFLPA, the league only decided to punish the players who "participated at a different and more significant level."

Ultimately, the league decided that it only had a strong enough case to punish the Saints for the "spoken word" and not for the actual "clenched fist" on the field.

And in that sense, Wednesday's decision was something of a victory. Not only for the rest of the Saints players who avoided punishment, but for all of those critics of the NFL's investigation who have been demanding to see more evidence of wrongdoing -- including the NFLPA.

That's been the one missing piece in the NFL's investigation all along: a lack of damning on-field evidence that the Saints were routinely using dirty hits or cheap shots to injure other players.

The worst example is the 2010 NFC championship game when the Saints were penalized for two illegal hits and fined for three illegal hits against Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre. And that game seems to be the focal point of the penalties against Vilma, Fujita and Hargrove. Since then, however, there have been few -- if any -- on-field examples.

Most likely, the Saints' general intent was to inflict as much punishment as possible on their opponents through legal hits, which is essentially what all defensive players try to do

Edited by SuperSK

I can't believe he's using his bounty gate pic on his twitter. . . Embracing it but at the same time denying it. Goes to show character. Poor judgement imo. Pos. Did u see how Tampa bay drafted the kid from rutgers? That's how you respect players! With class. Sportsmanship. Knock someone down then help them up. Its easy for players to show love to someone they think has been wronged but I wonder how many are not showing love because they completely disagree with actions/bounties/poor sportsmanship disrespect. . . . Just biting their tongue as to not poor gas on an all but burned out fire. Role models. . . Who dat

So witnesses and players admitting that it happened is not enough for you?

Did you read the article by Mark Kriedler?

If so, your opinion on what he wrote please...

19 of the tweets I posted have ZERO ties to the Saints ... ever.

That's a majority of the tweets posted. Your comment is not factual.

Mike Golic of the Mike and Mike Show looked up the individual player penalties for the 2009-2011 seasons COMBINED...

Vilma: 2 "unnecessary roughness" type penalties called against him (1 roughing the passer, 1 personal foul)

Will Smith: 1 Roughing the Passer, 0 personal fouls

Pretty surprising, huh?

The Saints may have put a bounty on Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner during the playoffs after the 2009 season, but Warner says it was the other playoff game he played that year — against the Packers — when he thought the opposing team was taking shots at his head.

Warner said on the Dan Patrick Show that in that year’s wild card playoff win over Green Bay, he felt like Packers players were intentionally trying to hit him high. It was actually the Packers who were complaining after that game that the officials missed calls on illegal hits to Aaron Rodgers, but Warner says the Packers were hitting him illegally, too.

But in the next week’s divisional loss to New Orleans, Warner didn’t think the Saints did anything beyond what’s normal.

“I played in a lot of games where they were really trying to take me out,” Warner said. “When I went back and looked at that game [against the Saints] I don’t ever remember thinking it was anything more than a tough playoff game. I don’t remember anything that was beyond the whistle. Even the big hit was legal.”

NFLPA about Mary Jo White interview

"I was at the meeting with the NFL's lead investigators in March. She was

not there. Anyone, especially former prosecutors like both of us, know

that what the league provided could never be called 'substantial evidence'

of player participation in a pay-to-injure program. Worse yet, Mary Jo

provided nothing new or compelling today beyond another press briefing. My

guess is that a veteran FBI agent like Joe Hummel would agree as well."

So witnesses and players admitting that it happened is not enough for you?

go back and read slowly and out loud making sure to sound out all those hard words.

d56 made a claim that he uses to support his position. I challenged him to provide the evidence of that claim.

He hasn't and he has since disappeared from the discussion

end of story

go back and read slowly and out loud making sure to sound out all those hard words.

d56 made a claim that he uses to support his position. I challenged him to provide the evidence of that claim.

He hasn't and he has since disappeared from the discussion

end of story

You don't have to talk to me like I'm stupid when you're the one who is acting like this whole thing never happened.

You don't have to talk to me like I'm stupid when you're the one who is acting like this whole thing never happened.

when have I said nothing has happened?

I guess expecting some Falcons fans to back up their claims and opinions with facts is too much, huh?