Ok, instead of continuing this in different threads, Im going to say it here. That way anyone Ive been talking about Ryan with can see it. Here are my views on Ryan, without comparison to anyone.

In his first 4 years Matt Ryan has:

won 69% of his games

completed 60.9% of his passes

thrown for 14,238 yards

thrown for 95 TDs and 46 INTs (almost 2:1)

led his team to the playoffs twice

led his team to 1 division title

a QB rating of 88.4

This backs up the fact that Matt Ryan is indeed a solid QB. In order to take the next step towards "elite" he will first have to win a playoff game. I think he is very capable of doing so and probably will in the next year or two. I could easily see him in an NFC Championship game one day. Only question is, how long will it take?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for putting aside the rhetoric and posting a serious question. I'm a big fan of Ryan's but he hasn't answered this question for me yet:

If a team shuts down Atlanta's running game, or if the Falcons fall behind by 14 points or more, am I confident that Ryan can lead them to victory by relying on the passing game?

Now Ryan does have a good record of come from behind wins in his 4 years with the team, but I can't say yes to that question just yet. I have to hesisate, but I can say yes to that question without hesitating if these guys are the QBs:

• Brady
  • Both Mannings
  • Rivers
  • Vick
  • Brees
  • Rodgers
  • Stafford
  • Romo

I see this as a litmus test for a QB to take a team and himself to the next level. I've seen many games where I see Ryan showing that potential and then there's other games where he looks like a deer in the headlights.

The playoff loss against NYG is a perfect example where the OL was destroyed by the NYG's DL and Ryan was under constant pressure. He looked frazzled. He's not mobile so he often has to just throw it away. Then there's other games where he takes a beating but plays really well and stands tall in the pocket (last year's philly and detroit games comes to mind) and leads them to wins.

I'm hoping the new OC encourages Matt to take more chances. The Falcons were crap when he was drafted and I bet you Smith's mantra in 2008 was 'you're a rookie, we're re-building, this is a process, don't turn the ball over, throw it away, rely on the ground game, and we'll be there with a chance to win in the 4th qrtr." This has worked really well to make the team a yearly playoff contender, but it won't get Ryan or Atlanta very far in this current version of the NFL where HOF QB play is needed if you want to win the SB. I bet you Ryan still clings to a play it safe approach (which i think Smith still does).

As for winning a playoff game, that is clearly Ryan's and Smith's albatross. As for Ryan, what if he makes the playoffs and the team loses 41-38 because he got out dueled by Stafford or whoever, despite throwing for 400 yards and 5 TDs? Sure you could say his team lost and he's winless in the playoffs but that would be disingenuous. What Ryan needs is a great playoff game where it was obvious he played great and he didn't lose the game (late, stupid INT fopr example).

I've seen many games where I see Ryan showing that potential and then there's other games where he looks like a deer in the headlights.

This is my exact problem with him. Until he goes out there with confidence, regardless of opponent, then he wont make that next step.

As for winning a playoff game, that is clearly Ryan's and Smith's albatross. As for Ryan, what if he makes the playoffs and the team loses 41-38 because he got out dueled by Stafford or whoever, despite throwing for 400 yards and 5 TDs? Sure you could say his team lost and he's winless in the playoffs but that would be disingenuous. What Ryan needs is a great playoff game where it was obvious he played great and he didn't lose the game (late, stupid INT for example).

I know what you mean.

Edited by Enlightened29

Oh lord... now we got cowboy fans making Ryan threads. This should be in TATF. You could probably make 100 pages long there.

Normally i stay away from Ryan threads. Outside fans gonna hate and falcon fans will either love him or hate him for the playoff losses.

Ryan isnt the only factor in this rebuilt falcons team. Everything goes through the lines. Our lines on both side total sucked most of the year last season. Its clear by our draft that we dont trust our Oline and our Dline cant bust through a wet tissue.

I will say if Ryan has the protection, i mean same sack and same pressure amounts as the opposing QB, he could hang with most of them. But Ryan has operated in a power rushing scheme and has throw up history making franchise passing records. But like any QB, if you keep the heat on they start looking a lot more human.

Ryan has had his share of comebacks, Ryan is well documented as being more productive in the no huddle when he is calling his own plays vs MM calling them. The more freedom and protection he gets the more deadly he will be.

Ok, instead of continuing this in different threads, Im going to say it here. That way anyone Ive been talking about Ryan with can see it. Here are my views on Ryan, without comparison to anyone.

won 69% of his games

thrown for 14,238 yards

led his team to the playoffs twice(3 times)

a QB rating of 88.4

This backs up the fact that Matt Ryan is indeed a solid QB. In order to take the next step towards "elite" he will first have to win a playoff game. I think he is very capable of doing so and probably will in the next year or two. I could easily see him in an NFC Championship game one day. Only question is, how long will it take?

Edited by #1falconsfan

Oh lord... now we got cowboy fans making Ryan threads. This should be in TATF. You could probably make 100 pages long there.

Normally i stay away from Ryan threads. Outside fans gonna hate and falcon fans will either love him or hate him for the playoff losses.

Ryan isnt the only factor in this rebuilt falcons team. Everything goes through the lines. Our lines on both side total sucked most of the year last season. Its clear by our draft that we dont trust our Oline and our Dline cant bust through a wet tissue.

I will say if Ryan has the protection, i mean same sack and same pressure amounts as the opposing QB, he could hang with most of them. But Ryan has operated in a power rushing scheme and has throw up history making franchise passing records. But like any QB, if you keep the heat on they start looking a lot more human.

Ryan has had his share of comebacks, Ryan is well documented as being more productive in the no huddle when he is calling his own plays vs MM calling them. The more freedom and protection he gets the more deadly he will be.

Well, I made this thread to prove once and for all that Im not a Ryan hater. I think some perceived me that way and I wanted to set them straight.

I think he is a very good qb, and before all is said and done be the best Falcon QB of all time, his time is coming..... maybe this yr, we will see...

he for sure has the weapons this yr to get it done....

Not trying to be sarcastic, but that wouldnt be a hard feat.

won 69% of his games

thrown for 14,238 yards

a QB rating of 88.4

I'll agree on this, BUT until he can show that he can win when it really counts, he'll be little more than a journeyman quarterback that is the starter simply to keep the team from losing games during the regular season.

If he can win at least one playoff game this season and NOT look like Trent Dilfer doing it, I'll give him his props.

I'll agree on this, BUT until he can show that he can win when it really counts, he'll be little more than a journeyman quarterback that is the starter simply to keep the team from losing games during the regular season.

If he can win at least one playoff game this season and NOT look like Trent Dilfer doing it, I'll give him his props.

I myself am not stuck on the win-one-playoff-game-and-open-the-floodgates theory. I want to see dominance. I want to see Ryan perform so well, he can win games that he had no business winning.

I myself am not stuck on the win-one-playoff-game-and-open-the-floodgates theory. I want to see dominance. I want to see Ryan perform so well, he can win games that he had no business winning.

I simply said I'd give him Props. I did NOT say I'd consider him Elite, simply by winning a playoff game. His first step, considering the talent around him, is a playoff win!

Went off his Pro-Football-reference profile. They have a bad habit of doing that. Sorry.

Takes them forever to update the yearly stats.

Don't feel bad. Most posters here think Matt Ryan has much bigger things in his future and will label any counter argument as "trolling".

Of course they do, this is a Falcon's fan messageboard. And many of the Ryan detractors ARE obvious trolls. Check out any of the Ryan threads- if there's 150 posts, 75-100 of them come from the same 2-3 posters who are saying the same tired negative nonsense over and over.

Takes them forever to update the yearly stats.

Of course they do, this is a Falcon's fan messageboard. And many of the Ryan detractors ARE obvious trolls. Check out any of the Ryan threads- if there's 150 posts, 75-100 of them come from the same 2-3 posters who are saying the same tired negative nonsense over and over.

Why, speak of the devil. Here's one of them right now. According to his ilk, you can never be too optimistic on Matt Ryan, but express any doubts and you're an "obvious troll" spewing "tired negative nonsense"

won 69% of his games

thrown for 14,238 yards

a QB rating of 88.4

I am not sure. Ryan came into the league with a gunslinger mentality and is now a qb so worried about making mistakes that he can not even slide correctly. I wonder sometimes if he ever will be able to shake that.

That is why qb's like Romo are better right now. cool.png

Yeah, regular season wins mean nothing if you cant win when it counts.

Edited by Enlightened29

You ever considered it may not be him but the coaching thats holding them back in the playoffs. We have seen 3 teams go through the falcons and all 3 go to the superbowl. But we didnt look ready for any of them. Not just Ryan.

Ryan can go no huddle and call his own plays, but those plays are limited and created by MM.

You think Ryan gets the freedom Brees or Payton Manning or Brady gets to just take over a game? In a power run system if the running game doesn't work... lets blame the QB.

People have already said the same type of stuff about RG 3. He is gonna get strapped down in a system that doesn't allow him to show off. Where Panthers let Cam do what Cam was doing before he got drafted. They gave him some freedom.

The falcons as a team will never put up a 60 point game like the Saints did last year. Because the falcons will run the ball and milk the clock. The Saints would just fire away and pad some stat book. Thats a difference in coaching. But at the end of the year Brees is gonna look godly for having a coaching staff that strokes his ego, vs a falcon staff that is happy just winning by 3.