I hope the philosophy is passing to set up the run because playing the uber conservative, grind the clock and running every 1st down to shorten game does not lead to success...

Updating our passing game would benefit us MORE than being this power football team...

I imagine having the Versatility to do both is what would truly make a team great. I am hoping that the coaches buy into TD's drafting strategy and utilize these draftees strengths,

I'm just glad to see the front office making the oline a priority.

I don't know if it's a change in philosophy. I believe both Konz and Lamar played basketball so they sound athletic... Hopefully they'll be able to improve our screen game.

Not only did we add big guys, but they are big guys that can move and attack a defender in multiple ways.

I'd be more than happy if we had the capability to scheme for the team we're playing. Exploit the other team's weakness by throwing against bad secondaries or running against soft fronts. We need a studly line in order to do that and I think that's what they're trying to do. I don't think the plan is to run first so much as it is to run first if that is what we need to do.

Oh, and to pick up a yard when we need to.

I agree 110%. If we scheme based on the opponent, no way we remain a 1 and done team in the playoffs.

Aggressive front 7? Screen game kills. Nonexistent in the NY game. A year removed, hopefully we have learned.

I'd be more than happy if we had the capability to scheme for the team we're playing. Exploit the other team's weakness by throwing against bad secondaries or running against soft fronts. We need a studly line in order to do that and I think that's what they're trying to do. I don't think the plan is to run first so much as it is to run first if that is what we need to do.

Oh, and to pick up a yard when we need to.

This guy JayOzOne just spoke some truth and ya'll missed it talking about some 50:50 balance crap.

Listen, the whole purpose of this draft was to beef up the trenches so our offense can thrive in the passing and running game. Ryan needs pass protection as does Turner needs gaps to run through. The whole purpose of hiring new coordinators was to bring in a fresh set of ideas. One thing I love about the new hires is that those guys scheme to their players' strengths. This was something that neither Mularkey or BVG understood when they were here. In order to have success, you have to be able to put your players in position to make plays based off of their strengths. Also, you have to be able to create gameplans solely based on exploiting opposing teams' weaknesses. I believe Koetter and Nolan will do this, but in order for this to be effective, you have to be strong in the trenches. I believe that's one reason it was difficult making the necesssary adjustments after halftime...it may have required more production from the OL.

With our new added depth, we can now get better in that arena.

I agree 110%. If we scheme based on the opponent, no way we remain a 1 and done team in the playoffs.

Aggressive front 7? Screen game kills. Nonexistent in the NY game. A year removed, hopefully we have learned.

The only problem I can see is the fact that Turner gives you almost nothing as a receiving threat. I know we have Quizz and Snelling; however, everyone knows we are prob going to pass the ball when they see them come into the game. I wish we could have gotten a back that could be an early down back that could have contributed as a better receiver out of the backfield.

This guy JayOzOne just spoke some truth and ya'll missed it talking about some 50:50 balance crap.

Listen, the whole purpose of this draft was to beef up the trenches so our offense can thrive in the passing and running game. Ryan needs pass protection as does Turner needs gaps to run through. The whole purpose of hiring new coordinators was to bring in a fresh set of ideas. One thing I love about the new hires is that those guys scheme to their players' strengths. This was something that neither Mularkey or BVG understood when they were here. In order to have success, you have to be able to put your players in position to make plays based off of their strengths. Also, you have to be able to create gameplans solely based on exploiting opposing teams' weaknesses. I believe Koetter and Nolan will do this, but in order for this to be effective, you have to be strong in the trenches. I believe that's one reason it was difficult making the necesssary adjustments after halftime...it may have required more production from the OL.

With our new added depth, we can now get better in that arena.

Balance is always hard to scheme against. If you have the ability pass or run on any given play it will make play action and screens so much more successful. Defenders will appear to slow down because they will be off balance.

Good post.

The truth of the matter is, an effective and consistent run-game has been and always will be the best friend of a QB, no matter who that might be.

-- Some QBs are obviously so elite, they simply do not need it. But, look at the run game the Taints had when they won the SB...

In Ryan's case, he has certainly shown he has the ability to shoulder the team and carry them to victory, we just simply cannot count on it every single week with our recent lack of production and consistency on defense.

I agree with you whole-heartedly, and look forward to the new(er) era with TD, Smith and Ryan.

Here is to a stout, well-rounded team this year! Cheers!

I'm happy about it. I think that we have got some players on the o-line and a line coach that will make this offense look solid this year.

woohoo, win the battle in the trenches! then you can do what you want, pass or run!!!

You are right, football is a matchup game now, especially on offense, and we do not do that offensively. I mean, when have you see a LB matched up on a WR in our passing attack. We have to create match-ups. We have the match-ups on the edges.......

Thats what NO does so well....they create mismatches everywhere and thats why you see people open or on LBs...We just need to be more creative in our alignments, route design and route combinations and I think our passing attack will be a-lot better......

Call me Captain Obvious, but the reality is that we want to be able to do both. Football is a game that's outcome is dictated by matchups. If you can't attack other team's weaknesses, you lose.

Doesn't it make sense though that with more and more teams tooling up to stop these wide open pass attacks, they are opening them self up to be exploited by a smash mouth style gameplan.

53 players on a team and only 45 are active for gameday. Mike Nolan has said he feels that defenses in the NFL are going to eventually have to have 4-5 solid DBs to compete. they would most likely need to have 7 to 8 DB's active for gameday in that case. It becomes a numbers game at that point. Teams built to stop the wide open offenses will most likely be carrying less defenders up front and open them self up to be exploited up front once fatigue sets in. Teams stacking the box will be exploited by Koetter vertical passing game, and teams that are overly aggressive will have to deal with a revamped screen game.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought were were going to run the ball 99% of the time. I merely wanted to make the point that we are trying to achieve balance by adding pieces that will allow us to impose our will on our opponents.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I have a horrible feeling that this offense could be more run heavy than Mularkey's was. I have seen a few references now to Koetter wanting to be perfectly blanced 50:50 run:pass. If that is the case, we may end up running the ball more than ony other team in the NFL.

I am hoping that when DK talks of striving for 50:50 balance, he is talking about being balanced in certian key situations (e.g. first down, and 3rd and 2-3 where you want to keep the opponent guessing), and not being 50:50 balance for the whole season.

In any event I've no doubt that our passing game will be eons better under DK. Mularkey's passing offence was dated, and missing fundamel things like screens, cover 2 beaters, decent pass route combo's, plays designed to generate YAC, back shoulder throws etc.

He is talking about mixing it up better which means we are not doing that run on 1st run on 2nd then pass on 3rd and 6 philosophy that MM had here. The way we play will be more dictated by the best way to take advantage of the defense that day. Just about every game we played we came into it with that approach.

We will always run the ball. But we have to get with the times. Past 3 Super Bowl champions have been pass first. This is a pass first team. And I really believe the Falcons better get in the fast lane or get smoked

Not at all the giants ran the ball well in the playoffs and are a run first team the pack had James Starks on his streak in the playoffs and whether you believe this or not the saints utilize the run a lot more than what ppl expect which is why their screen and vertical threat is so terrifying. All three stepped up with the running game when it came to the playoffs