Mike Mayock Liked Both The Falcons Picks Yesterday

g-dawg

Mayock kept mentioning how Peter Konz should have been taken already and thought Falcons did good - GREAT PICK! - when Falcons took him.

When Texans took Brandon Brooks, Mayock said two players really impressed him at East-West Shrine game - Brooks and Lamar Holmes - he mentioned Holmes' name before he was even picked!

When Falcons picked Holmes, he seemed to think he was a left tackle prospect that needs to be developed - but has a high ceiling.

Mayock said he liked what Dimitroff/Falcons were doing by addressing the Offensive Line with these picks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Mayock is right about Holmes. He is a big dude so with quick feet. They say he is a good passblocker now so i think he might be able to start right now. As big as he is, he shouldn't have a problem learning to run block since he is big enough to push people around. If he and Conz and play right now this might be a great year for the falcons.

Holmes has Jason Peters type potential in my opinion. The guy can really pass block, he just needs work on run blocking and keeping his feet moving. Plus, he is BIG. Even if he struggles, he can ride him out because the interior looks like it is going to hold up real well.

Guest Gritz

Mayock kept mentioning how Peter Konz should have been taken already and thought Falcons did good - GREAT PICK! - when Falcons took him.

When Texans took Brandon Brooks, Mayock said two players really impressed him at East-West Shrine game - Brooks and Lamar Holmes - he mentioned Holmes' name before he was even picked!

When Falcons picked Holmes, he seemed to think he was a left tackle prospect that needs to be developed - but has a high ceiling.

Mayock said he liked what Dimitroff/Falcons were doing by addressing the Offensive Line with these picks.

I like the idea of Holmes being taught and molded by Pat Hill....Sounds like there's a potential high ceiling for the kid.....opposed to Baker, who had the low ceiling and short arms from the get go.

No offense, and not to take away from your point. I like Mayock and I think he knows his stuff.

But truthfully, I never heard him say anything negative about anyone who has been drafted. Even after Rich Eisen was falling off his chair laughing at the Jags punter pick, MM kept it together.

I see the upside in both picks, and I defer to those who do this for a living. But I'd never expect Mayock to say, " Well that was the dumbest pick in history. This guy is a definite loser. WTH were they thinking?"....biggrin.png

No offense, and not to take away from your point. I like Mayock and I think he knows his stuff.

But truthfully, I never heard him say anything negative about anyone who has been drafted. Even after Rich Eisen was falling off his chair laughing at the Jags punter pick, MM kept it together.

I see the upside in both picks, and I defer to those who do this for a living. But I'd never expect Mayock to say, " Well that was the dumbest pick in history. This guy is a definite loser. WTH were they thinking?"....biggrin.png

But, he brought up Holmes before the pick and he spoke more about him when we picked. If you notice, Mayock does say nice things about every player, but the less he talks about said player shows how he feels. He is very knowledgeable about every player almost

Guest Gritz

That's a fair take on Mayock's analysis most of the time...but I will say this: Mayock is very good about showing film and talking about a player's positives/negatives. Many times the negatives are just as plentiful as the positives.

I think Mayock leaves it up to the viewers to read between the lines/fill in the blanks.......

Guest Fibonacci

I like the idea of Holmes being taught and molded by Pat Hill....Sounds like there's a potential high ceiling for the kid.....opposed to Baker, who had the low ceiling and short arms from the get go.

thank the heavens we now have a guy who has long arms and knows how to push people around.

Guest Gritz

This is what I'm rooting for! Lol Holmes maybe not, but the other four sure are strong possibilities.

Yeah, it's going to take a little while for Holmes to develop into a quality starting LT...(if that even happens)....But I like some of the attributes the kid already possesses.

This is what I'm rooting for! Lol Holmes maybe not, but the other four sure are strong possibilities.

I dont know. As much as the coaches are supporting Baker and Svitek, the both of them are beatable. I'm thinking of it this way, if Holmes ever has a chance to beat out any starting left tackle(s) as a rookie, it'd be Baker/Svitek.

....Still not thinking it will happen though.

I remember in the War room book.. The Hoodie said when they drafted Sebastian Vollmer... He was more like a 4th and 5th round pick at the time but they knew with coaching up and his skill set... He would develop into a good tackle

He was also another guy that impressed at the east west shrine game