For Anyone Who Is Opposed To Konz, Consider This:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bench pressure does not equal strength ? WTF are you babbling about ? why do you think they do ..ITS BRUTE STRENGTH ... its a very important lift for Oline...what you want a weak C that cant use upper body and brute strength to push 300 pound DTS ...

Squats are brute strength. They use your entire body. Bench press uses two muscles. You're wrong, give it a rest.

Needs work: We should try not to read too much into his bench press results from the scouting combine as Konz won’t have to lie on his back and lift 225-pound linebackers during games. But there are concerns about how Konz will hold up against massive nose tackles like Vince Wilfork of the New England Patriots. The Ravens will have to pump him up in the weight room and tweak his technique to prep him for that kind of challenge.

100% that bench press is def concerning..,..+ with injuries concerns as well

Squats are brute strength. They use your entire body. Bench press uses two muscles. You're wrong, give it a rest.

NDIANAPOLIS — There’s no better event at the NFL Scouting Combine than the bench press. It’s the ultimate combine theater.

It’s brute strength, man versus barbell, with some guy screaming in the ear of a 320-pound defensive lineman while he bounces 225 pounds off his chest more times believed humanly possible. Then, just as it seems like he can’t do anymore, the lineman summons up all his remaining strength and gives one last extension of his arms.

Yeah, it’s cool to run the fastest 40, but if you’re the guy with the most bench-press reps, you’ve earned some kind of street cred.

This year’s hero was Memphis’ Dontari Poe, who put up 44 reps, eight more than the next best D-linemen and edging the previous leader, Michigan center David Molk by three.

At 6-foot-4 and 346 pounds, Poe said Saturday he was gunning for 40 reps, and his performance here this week could do a lot for his draft stock with any team that’s in the market for a dominating force up front. Poe is widely considered a borderline first- or second-round pick, though Charles Davis, Chad Reuter and Bucky Brooks all predict he’ll go to the Texans with the 26th overall pick.

Bench pressure does not equal strength ? WTF are you babbling about ? why do you think they do ..ITS BRUTE STRENGTH ... its a very important lift for Oline...what you want a weak C that cant use upper body and brute strength to push 300 pound DTS ...

I want a C that knows how to use leverage, positioning, who plays to the whistle, and knows how to call the blocking scheme. So no: I don't want some meathead who relies on upper body brute strength, because that is horrible technique. If you had ever actually played the game in the trenches, you would know that.

100% that bench press is def concerning..,..+ with injuries concerns as well

while i share your concerns and would love nothing else than to pile on td for his pathetic history of ineptitude there really isnt a better option. Now if he was coming off a complete knee blowout (tds wet dream) i would share your ire. Td did the right thing.

I want a C that knows how to use leverage, positioning, who plays to the whistle, and knows how to call the blocking scheme. So no: I don't want some meathead who relies on upper body brute strength, because that is horrible technique. If you had ever actually played the game in the trenches, you would know that.

Doesnt have to be a meathead man...David Decastro put up 34 reps ..is he a meathead ??

UPPER BODY STRENGTH ....Balance

David+DeCastro+2012+NFL+Combine+fy7jdHXy2zZl.jpg

if you hold a 10 lbs. weight out in front of you with your arms straight that's 100lbs. of force on your back.

Not necessarily. The longer your arms are, the more the equivalent force is exerted. This is why long armed linemen never lift as many reps as shorter armed linemen.

Manute Bol of the NBA had such long arms at 7'7" tall that he couldn't do one single lift of a mere 100 pounds. But he had the functional strength to kill an African lion with a spear. THAT is functional strength.

No one has been more harshly critical of TD than me.

No one.

No one has had more vitriol to (justifiably) spew at TD than me.

No one.

I have no complaints. His injury history is a yellow flag: not a red flag. None are of the lingering, career-threatening nature. One was actually an illness, not an injury. Another was just a sprained ankle, and that can happen to anyone.

I am on record as saying I would have preferred Phillip Blake, and I will stand by that. BUT!!! I never thought Konz would fall to us, and I am extremely happy to have him as the centerpiece of our offensive line for a decade or more.

Peter Konz: welcome aboard.

Two questions...

Who are you?

What have you done with Big Rob?

Well....dosen't the negative Nancy's think that coach Hill might have had something to do with this pick? Personally....I do. And as far as bench press is concerned......I was blessed with very large thighs and very large muscular calves. I did not bench a lot of weight.....but as a freshman I could move any Senior on our team and get to the QB. They hated me for that.....I had good feet, technigue and quickness off the ball. Granted this was high school....but a freshman gainst every da*n senior they could find....not shabby for a person with average bench press skills. Just sayin tongue.png

Doesnt have to be a meathead man...David Decastro put up 34 reps ..is he a meathead ??

UPPER BODY STRENGTH ....Balance

David+DeCastro+2012+NFL+Combine+fy7jdHXy2zZl.jpg

DeCastro doesn't rely on just his strength. That is why he is a first rounder as a G. DeCastro is a very special player, who will likely end up in the HoF. That does not detract from Konz's ability to play the C position at an All Pro level.

DeCastro doesn't rely on just his strength. That is why he is a first rounder as a G. DeCastro is a very special player, who will likely end up in the HoF. That does not detract from Konz's ability to play the C position at an All Pro level.

Never said it does but he also put up 34 reps on bench ...also has great upper body strength ..

Its a legit concern that a C maxed out at 18 first go round...either he didnt take weight room serious or just doesnt have upper body strength ..His 2nd go round at 23 is fine...1st was concerning..

Im just hoping he stays healthy ..he comes from good program and does have talent

I think he sits bench first year tho

The Carroll County Times confirms that the Ravens displayed "consistent interest" in Wisconsin G/C Peter Konz throughout the pre-draft period.

Konz was a visitor at Ravens headquarters, and they kept tabs on him from January through late April. SI's Tony Pauline has reported that Konz will be the Ravens' primary fallback option if Boise State LB Shea McClellin isn't available at the 29th pick. Konz would likely start at left guard in Baltimore. Apr. 26 - 7:30 am et