Trayvon Martin Case Adds Another Victim

You all, especially pencil pusher, missed the point and are creating arguments that have been made time and time again. I have no issue with them arresting Zimmerman or even charging him with a crime, though 2nd degree murder is a stretch. At least now everything will come out in court and he witll be found guilty or innocent. I will say this, everyone acts as though he was able to tell his story at the scene and got a pat on the back and a ride home. He was detained, taken to the police station where he was questioned by investigators and upon their decision, as well as the district attorney's, he was released.

My point was that this thing got national headlines because it was a black kid killled by someone of a different race. Had Zimmerman been black and under the same circumstances (that means not charged) then this thing would not have gotten the exposure that it did. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the Black Panthers and everyone else who rallied for Zimmerman's arrest would have never made their way to Florida. The reason being (That Guy touched on it) is it would be considered another black on black killing. But when another race is involved then there is something controversial.

BoP, you should read up on the Sanford PD. They have not exactly provided a long list of reasons to believe they can be objective regarding cop abuses of black citizens. This goes well beyond Trayvon Martin, actually. The reason many look at the police department with a critical eye is because they have proven in the past they have questionable (at best) practices.

To my recollection, this blew up for a number of reasons. I think first and foremost was the "WTF?" factor of circumstances. I agree with you that it was piled on due to the victim being black. But that was countered by the "fair and balanced" portion of the media who used it race bait for ratings. But, the facts as we know are that an unarmed teenager was shot as he walked home from the store. That alone is cause for outrage regardless of his race or that of his killer.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it is a glimpse at one of the main underlying problems in this country.

If it were black on black they wouldn't report it because majority just plain wouldn't give a sh#t and this raises attention that both sides will pay attention to in their own way.

You're right. It's a shame that race has to come in to play for people to stand up and take notice of something.

BoP, you should read up on the Sanford PD. They have not exactly provided a long list of reasons to believe they can be objective regarding cop abuses of black citizens. This goes well beyond Trayvon Martin, actually. The reason many look at the police department with a critical eye is because they have proven in the past they have questionable (at best) practices.

To my recollection, this blew up for a number of reasons. I think first and foremost was the "WTF?" factor of circumstances. I agree with you that it was piled on due to the victim being black. But that was countered by the "fair and balanced" portion of the media who used it race bait for ratings. But, the facts as we know are that an unarmed teenager was shot as he walked home from the store. That alone is cause for outrage regardless of his race or that of his killer.

I have not done any research on the Sanford PD at all so I am ignorant to any other issues they may have had in the past. When I get a chance I will do some research.

To your last point: That is what I was talking about, in a sense. The fact that a kid was killed (white, black, pinstriped, whatever...) should have been the issue but it was made out to be much more sinister because it was a white man (originally reported) who killed a black kid. If it had been black on black or Hispanic on Hispanic it wouldn't have received near the attention. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that had it been a Hispanic/black or even a white guy killing a white kid with everything else remaining the same, it would have received more outrage.

Theres no way to know what the police would have done if the races were reversed... It's a good talking point though as it can't be proven either way

The tea and skittles bit is kinda stale. If zimmermans story is believed, the headline could have read like this:

" young neighborhood watch member shoots attacker"

Theres no way to know what the police would have done if the races were reversed... It's a good talking point though as it can't be proven either way

The tea and skittles bit is kinda stale. If zimmermans story is believed, the headline could have read like this:

" young neighborhood watch member shoots attacker"

yea, because black guys are always walking free 3 weeks after they shoot someone and admit it.Them guys have it made that way.

Because it is a glimpse at one of the main underlying problems in this country.

If it were black on black they wouldn't report it because majority just plain wouldn't give a sh#t and this raises attention that both sides will pay attention to in their own way.

i'm not disagreeing with you, but i don't understand that. it's as if the victim doesn't matter. why does america care if a hispanic person kills a black kid but doesn't care if the victim and killer are the same race?

i'm not disagreeing with you, but i don't understand that. it's as if the victim doesn't matter. why does america care if a hispanic person kills a black kid but doesn't care if the victim and killer are the same race?

Because it is all about talking points. Mention black on black crime and everyone falls asleep. Mention a potentially racist crime like this and everyone picks a side and the ratings roll in and the agendas can be pushed. That's mainly why Zimmerman has been called white. Without that factor, everyone snoozes.

I don't buy for a second that any of the media on either side give a sh#t about the victim or the accused. They had nothing to lose by throwing gas on this case.