Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supremedarius

Snag In The Asante Deal...

100 posts in this topic

per rotoworld.......

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the hang-up to a potential Asante Samuel trade to the Falcons is the cornerback's contract, not compensation for the Eagles.

The Falcons' interest apparently hasn't waned after Brent Grimes signed his franchise tender. The two sides are believed to have settled on a late-round draft pick as compensation. Samuel is willing to restructure his contract, but he's balking at a significant paycut for the 2012 season. The Eagles want Samuel moved before the draft begins Thursday evening; the negotiating is now going through Samuel's player rep.

I feel they will figure this out tonight and he will be ours tomorrow...I think Grimes will be on the move tonight OR tomorrow...

falconsrus and MattRyan2Canton like this

I can't see Grimes going anywhere. Nolan and TD and Coach Smith have something in mind and obviously we can't know but they feel they need all three. Samuel probably would have a lesser roll here. man, who knows what our Defense is going to look like next year

I can't see Grimes going anywhere. Nolan and TD and Coach Smith have something in mind and obviously we can't know but they feel they need all three. Samuel probably would have a lesser roll here. man, who knows what our Defense is going to look like next year

We can use Grimes to maybe get up to the early part of the 2nd round to get the LT we need. Trust, things are in the works......

MrJay likes this

Samuel doesn't want a lesser role, and if anyone gets a lesser role it will be Dunta as he would become the 3rd best CB we have.

apparently they are not going to give up on the situation and that is good. Rich McCay is like a contract guru and will figure this thing out if there is a way to get the done deal.

I don't see Grimes going anywhere. Samuel will be the 3rd best CB we have. That's not a bad thing, or a knock on Asante at all. Look at past history, the guy who got torched in big games wasn't Grimes or Robinson, it was the 3rd CB (most notably Owens in the GB playoff game). What do you think about Asante putting in some time at nickel or even Safety?

per rotoworld.......

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the hang-up to a potential Asante Samuel trade to the Falcons is the cornerback's contract, not compensation for the Eagles.

The Falcons' interest apparently hasn't waned after Brent Grimes signed his franchise tender. The two sides are believed to have settled on a late-round draft pick as compensation. Samuel is willing to restructure his contract, but he's balking at a significant paycut for the 2012 season. The Eagles want Samuel moved before the draft begins Thursday evening; the negotiating is now going through Samuel's player rep.

I feel they will figure this out tonight and he will be ours tomorrow...I think Grimes will be on the move tonight OR tomorrow...

If we do get Samuel I absolutely agree gimes will not be on this team come draft night

We can use Grimes to maybe get up to the early part of the 2nd round to get the LT we need. Trust, things are in the works......

CHAPELLE.gif

ChickenBiscuit and MrJay like this

I got a feeling Asante will NOT be wearing a Falcons uniform this coming season.

I'm certainly wary about getting excited for it before it happens. (I dont need anymore Ickey Balookys) In my wildest dreams I don't see us keeping both him and Grimes but man if they could make that work it'd be awesome.

From the inquirer article

http://www.philly.co...for_Samuel.html

They could simply release Samuel -- a scenario he would not prefer, nor would the Eagles, who would take a $2 million salary cap hit. But the Eagles are obviously trying to get anything in return for one of the NFL's top interception men over the last decade.

So there is some pressure on their side to be flexible

Nolan has said he likes 5 DBs so I think this would be awesome for our D. BRING EM HOME TD!!!!

^^ This.

I just don't see us trading for Asante, then trading Grimes. What team is going to give us much for Grimes when he carries (or is going to) the contract he does.

^^ This too. Grimes contract this year is ridiculous for one year. If we trade him, it has to be to someone that he wants to play for or he won't sign with them next year. I can't see them working out a trade that will keep Grimes and his wife happy. He'll be a Falcon this year and gone next season.