Kiper's Grade 'a' Draft For Nfc...just Posted Falcons

I'm not completely sold TD would pick him. According to National Football Post, he's more of a guard than a tackle and has some "off the filed issues". If TD's going to make the the Julio trade go down as genius, this pick has to be spot on. Anyone know what the issues are?

From NFP:

A powerfully built, naturally girthy offensive lineman who plays left tackle for the Cyclones, but his body type might be better suited to play as a guard. Possesses natural athleticism for his size and he does have the ability to bend and sit into his stance despite getting lazy and bending at the waist at times. Needs to do a better job getting off the snap count on time and not wasting so much motion into his man in the run game. Has a tendency to pop upright off the football, struggles to gain natural leverage and will bend at the waist and extend his arms into contact. Struggles to play as powerfully as his frame would suggest in the run game, especially when he needs to reach a defender off his frame. Displays a powerful set of hands, long arms and can stick through contact. He works his legs to create a push, but seems to roll his hips into defenders and there isn't a real snap at the point. Moves well and looks coordinated on the move for his size, can drop his pad level and chop down defenders at the second level with the initial quickness to get out of his stance and reach blocks.

Showcases solid initial quickness for his size off the edge, but not enough to hold his own vs. NFL caliber speed rushers. Gets high with his pad level and overextended with his footwork when trying to reach the edge and/or re-direct back inside. Does a nice job keeping his hands up ready to punch and unleashes a quick jolt into contact and will stick through the play. Moves his feet well through contact and can be bit of a velcro player, but he has a tendency to double over at the waist into contact, lose balance and whiff at his target. Can sit into his stance and anchor, but when trying to play fast he gets too high, allowing defenders to get under his pad level and turn the corner.

Has some character concerns that could cause him to slip and had some struggles toward the end of the season due to an ankle injury.

Impression: A big, thick kid with natural strength, athleticism and flexibility. Has improved his technique and overall range off the edge, but is better suited to play inside or on the right side at the next level.

Osemele doesn't have off the field problems he has work ethic problems... he's been to known to be lazy at times.

He reminds me a lot of Andre Smith from Bama, but he's not nearly as lazy and arrogant as Andre was, and Smith finally turned it on last year. Pat Hill is an excellent OLine coach and should be able to whip him into shape. As well correct his issues with bending at the waist, which he did improve up the past year, he went from bending at the waist nearly all the time in 2010 to going more to his knee in 2011, and looked dominant when he did.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. If he is saying we need a CB and a TE, then by that reasoning don't we also need a S, RB, and DT?

I mean, we have Grimes/Robinson + depth (shallow), and TG. Here is the deal. TG is done after this season, but isn't Turner also? In fact, he may beat TG to the scrap heap. Just take a look at some of the topics on this board. There is clearly more dissatisfaction with Turner than with TG. Decoud? Are you serious? We have Grimes/D. Rob and that's an area of need but Safety is not? Wow!

You do realize that the magic number 30 is coming in to play for Babs right? Who else is there? Peters? Yeah, he's good, but only as an overachiever.

We got real problems folks.

Kelechi Osemele should BURN this Oklahoma tape. He looks AWFUL - no way do I want this guy protecting Matt Ryan's blindside.......what gives, Carasik?

Somebody is on the take. We need to start having Keiper and the rest of them issue disclosure statements before they open their mouths. This Osemele guy smells. I'm not a Matt Ryan fan. But if we are gonna win a SB we can't have pie backs on the o-line.

I wanna know where Keiper gets his money from. If a dime of it can be traced back to agents, that answers some questions.

I don't get it. If he is saying we need a CB and a TE, then by that reasoning don't we also need a S, RB, and DT?

I mean, we have Grimes/Robinson + depth (shallow), and TG. Here is the deal. TG is done after this season, but isn't Turner also? In fact, he may beat TG to the scrap heap. Just take a look at some of the topics on this board. There is clearly more dissatisfaction with Turner than with TG. Decoud? Are you serious? We have Grimes/D. Rob and that's an area of need but Safety is not? Wow!

You do realize that the magic number 30 is coming in to play for Babs right? Who else is there? Peters? Yeah, he's good, but only as an overachiever.

We got real problems folks.

Gonzo-15, McClure-13, Zelenka-13, Abraham-12, Redman-12, Bryant 10

Manuwai-9. Mughelli-9, Clabo-8, Robinson-8, Turner-8, Svitek-7, Tatupu-7, White-7, Babineaux -7

Edited by delaigle

We need a RG that is capable of starting in 2012 or the 2012 season won't go any farther than last year's team. There's just no way around it. All year we couldn't buy a yard when we needed it and couldn't rely on the interior of the offensive line to not get pushed back into Ryan's face, and in the playoffs we lost for no reason greater than the offense literally getting shoved off the field when we got in scoring range. I don't know if we can draft a guy that can start day 1 or if we have that guy on the roster right now, but we need an improvement at that position or we're not going to make a meaningful improvement on last year, much less justify the Julio trade and make a real playoff run. If we have to draft a guy because we don't have a better option on the roster, so be it; if we do last year all over again we're going to lose more than a couple of coordinators we had already grown weary of.

Edited by Serge

So the "correct" answer is to do nothing??? ---live with what they've got??-- I haven't advocated Kiper's picks -- just the need for better O-line players. Manuwai is the only potential change to a very desperate O-line

Baker/Svitek are inadequate

Blalock about the only decent O-lneman

McClure/Hawley one old and 1 inexperienced

Manuwai/Johnson/Hawley/Jackson --all hope lies in Manuwai

Clabo/Reynolds Clabo is getting long in the tooth (9th year)and Reynolds is ????

My thought is take a flier on McNeill, rather than picking through more Hawleys and Johnsons.

Im not saying Im a fan of Osemele, but if drafting him at #55 ensures a solid starter at RG for 5-8 years, than Im all for it.....knowing this pretty much wastes the picks from the previous 2 drafts...

Also, Big Rob...would you be in favor of moving up to 35-40 range if a guy like Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams slips to there????

My thought is take a flier on McNeill, rather than picking through more Hawleys and Johnsons.

Either McNeill's immediate and/or long term prognosis is pretty bleak, or every team without a Pro Bowl caliber LT is completely missing the boat. No one is even working him out or apparently in talks with him. Bell is not as talented, and got a 5 year big-money deal.

If we trade up, it BETTER be for a LT.

If we trade up for any other position, I will grab some random Bucs or Jags fan and beat them like they owe me money.

thats too far up and not enough picks to do so... Trading up just 8-10 slots wouldnt cost that much at all... We need both d-line and o-line help

thats too far up and not enough picks to do so... Trading up just 8-10 slots wouldnt cost that much at all... We need both d-line and o-line help

Bobby Massie will be available in the early second round. I'm not completely sold on him as a starting caliber LT, but I'm completely sold on Baker NOT being a starting LT. Nor a backup LT. Nor a quality water boy. He would throw his back out picking up a packet of GatorAde mix.

I have it on good authority, namely My SO (Significant Other), she says that extra inch means a lot....rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe because an "extra inch" is doubling the original?

you are leaving yourself open to some shots here, but I will leave it alone. j/k

Sorry--- had to be said.

Edited by Big Rob 64
1st priority is drafting for need over want and only BPA when your need isnt there..
How did that work out with SackMaker, Jelly, Crisp, Chevis, My Johnson and Hawley when we could have gone BPA with Clay Matthews, Hakim Nicks, Vontae Davis, Kenny Britt, Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles? Not worth a dam. Trust me.

Either McNeill's immediate and/or long term prognosis is pretty bleak, or every team without a Pro Bowl caliber LT is completely missing the boat. No one is even working him out or apparently in talks with him. Bell is not as talented, and got a 5 year big-money deal.

We don't know what McNeill is asking for. He could be refusing to give teams any kind of medical out clause

How did that work out with SackMaker, Jelly, Crisp, Chevis, My Johnson and Hawley when we could have gone BPA with Clay Matthews, Hakim Nicks, Vontae Davis, Kenny Britt, Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles? Not worth a dam. Trust me.
the jury is still outcon johnson jerry and hawley... First off clay doesnt fit our scheme AT ALL. Anyway TD did his jonlb.. when u build a team uu dnt just get talented players and put them on one team (philly).. you gotta pick players where your team has weaknesses at.. we needed o-line help so TD went out and got hawley, renolds, johnson cause he knew we needed depth...

He knew sincexwe didnt get dorsey we needed a DT there falls jerry... If a player doesnt help a team or impacts a team isnt TD fault.. all thoes playees are talemted.. wat ppl seem to get confused is that if a player doesnt performe thats on the coaches not the GM...

Dude, the jury is back home, in their jammies, watching the late show.

Yea...Im okay with giving Hawley a shot this year to hold down the center position, but if he struggles...we will need t move in another direction in 2013...

As for Jerry, Ive seen enough to know that was a bad pick, and I feel that I saw anough from Johnson to suggest he will be no better than a rotational guy, unless he gets stronger and better technique....but Im willing to let that pick go as well (especially with the addition of Manawai)....

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons

atl.gif

Top needs: DE, OL, OLB, CB, TE

Rd 2 (55) OT/G Kelechi Osemele

Rd 3 (84) DE Olivier Vernon

Analysis: Atlanta fans may not be familiar with the names, but both guys should be able to find their way into the rotation because they play need positions. Osemele played left tackle at Iowa State, but he's a guy I'm looking to move inside to become a mauler in the run game. He has the size (333 pounds) to engulf smaller defenders, and you'll see that because he can get to the edge and flatten linebackers. He's a nice addition up front. Vernon is a 4-3 defensive end prospect who shows a good first step and can develop as a pass-rusher, but also holds up pretty well against the run. Both guys are needs picks, but there isn't a value sacrifice.

http://insider.espn....eams-rounds-1-3

I would be okay with this...maybe would prefer Baquette (ARK) or Johnson (UVA) in the 3rd if went that position....

Hate the first pick , love the 2nd pick. Osemele is way to slow to react.. he's not quick enough. If he had that , he would be a first rounder. But since he don't I don't want him.. Watch some tape on him and you'll see it. The DE's in the NFL will blow him away.

have you watched him play or seen his tape, Scott? its putrid....the Oklahoma tape is horrible.

On this tape I saw on 1 play where #72 made a mistake. With the DE rushing inside he did the right thing to take him further inside. The back should have cut left behind him instead of running into the DE. Another play the QB cut into the direction his man was being block and got pushed back. This is the 1st time I have ever watched him so don't claiming I his fan or "lover". I watch football with an open mind not a blind eye as you do.

Dude, the jury is back home, in their jammies, watching the late show.

jerry knee idk how bad it was bbut to be limping a yr and a half off of surgery isnt about being a bust but just a sad fate of him having a nasty injury....

Hawley only played for one yr.. blalock struggled mightly his first yr now hes our best lineman...

Johnson hasnt even got on the field yet and its his third yr now...

Again like i said it still early about thoes guys...

I would be fine with Osemele because he is a plug and play guy that could give us a pro bowl caliber presence at RG for the next ten years, and he is versatile enough to slide across the line in an injury shuffle situation .....but I agree with Muskoka that another young devcelopmental DE at 3 is a fkng waste .get me a stud RB there instead, or a guy that can push DeCoud .......

wait, abe is at the end of his career edwards brings nothing and drafting a DE is a waste but a RB isn't? Our RB situation is a million times better than our DE situation. if you started selling what you're smoking you would be mad rich.