My First New Topic: Are Falcon Fans Negative?

I have been scrolling through the topics and find a number of posters who claim we are the worst fan base due to the overwhelming criticism which is rampant on most threads. Whether it be TD, MS, the Executive staff or Matt Ryan, most threads end in verbal abuse. Here are my thoughts: It's not that our fan base as a whole is negative. IMO, we simply have the most persistent trolls who ruin many potentially engaging threads. In most Ryan discussions, the same 5-6 MR critics post 70% of the dialogue. As such, it gives the appearance that we have an extremely negative fan base. But this is simply not accurate. As a whole, our fans are very passionate and loyal to a fault. Heck, from what i can discern, even the Ryan antagonists are very intelligent and have high football IQ. They are just irrationally critical of Ryan and very persistent in the defense of said criticism.

I will say this though.... As a group, I believe the Falcons have one **** of a fan base. There are some really great football minds on this forum and I find myself learning from many of you on a daily basis. I just hate that so many good discussions ultimately end up in childish verbal sparring sessions.

Just my two cents and I am proud to be a member of this forum. Flame away if you feel the urge. :-)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is not meant as a flame at all. i actually appreciate your perspective.

however, you've been here long enough to accumulate 100+ posts. you already know the answer to your question. . .

I knew this was coming and there is nothing I can do to rebut it... so I'll just keep posting and try to earn some respect.

[quote

Are Falcon Fans Negative?

]

The fan base is "bi-polar"

1/2 of em are the most die you'll find. Stick with em though misery and years of torture and never loose faith

the other 1/2...Post stupid **** on the board, bash players, show up late to games, still have a love affair with vick.

Ya know, a pretty unstable fanbase

Some are. I would assume the trolls can be found within any fan base though.

Most fans are positive. It's the trolls, Chicken Littles and Debbie Downers who are the most vocal and spam the boards with BS, so it may seem that our fans are negative due to that vocal minority.

I knew this was coming and there is nothing I can do to rebut it... so I'll just keep posting and try to earn some respect.

bro - you have my respect. i agree with you. WE do have negative fans. obviously, most aren't "real fans" but unfortunately, what goes on here are how most fans around the league view ALL OF US.

Guest Gritz

I've made a few really good friends from being on this board....Exceptional people...funny, talented, smart, compassionate towards other people....

....and there are some real head cases on here too. People whose mothers must have had dill pickle juice in their breasts when they were being breast-fed....

Regarding just the attitudes about the Falcons though I think in many ways we're just a typical fan base.....Optimists, Believe It When I See It Folks, Pessimists......

Our fans suck, with exception of some of our MB members, but I don't love the Falcons because of our fans. So I could care less. I was used to being the only guy watching the Falcons when I grew up in Macon, I'm perfectly fine being the only Falcons fan whereever I live. No one will be more of a fan than I am in my eyes, so I don't need other fans to affirm my fanhood.

Guest Gritz

Our fans suck, with exception of some of our MB members, but I don't love the Falcons because of our fans. So I could care less. I was used to being the only guy watching the Falcons when I grew up in Macon, I'm perfectly fine being the only Falcons fan whereever I live. No one will be more of a fan than I am in my eyes, so I don't need other fans to affirm my fanhood.

I feel much like your post also. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about the Falcons or my lifelong attachment to them.

This is my team. It has always been my team and will be until I'm gone.

Nothing will ever shake that.

i know 2 different packers fans here in north ga (originally from WI) that are bigger fans than most falcons fans i know (from 1000 miles away, or whatever).

they rep their city, town, team, EVERYTHING better than 99% of the atl fans i come in contact with. i LOVE the falcons. i have for as long as i can remember. that''s how i was raised. for whatever reason, that just doesn't seem to be the norm here though.

i know 2 different packers fans here in north ga (originally from WI) that are bigger fans than most falcons fans i know (from 1000 miles away, or whatever).

they rep their city, town, team, EVERYTHING better than 99% of the atl fans i come in contact with. i LOVE the falcons. i have for as long as i can remember. that''s how i was raised. for whatever reason, that just doesn't seem to be the norm here though.

We don't win like the Packers do. They contend. They have history. Great QB's. Great organization.

We have no history. Send Great QB's away. Well noted for being a bad organization before Blank.

Edited by #1 pick

I feel much like your post also. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about the Falcons or my lifelong attachment to them.

This is my team. It has always been my team and will be until I'm gone.

Nothing will ever shake that.

I completely agree, Gritz. I just find it frustrating that we can't have a civil discussion on Matt Ryan. I'm really proud he is our quarterback and the offensive leader of the team. Does he have areas to improve upon? Absolutely. But if a person just read this board and did not watch the games, one would have to assume that he is the second coming of Ryan Leaf or Joey Harrington. All of his threads get hijacked by seemingly intelligent posters making nonsensical comments.

Guest Gritz

I completely agree, Gritz. I just find it frustrating that we can't have a civil discussion on Matt Ryan. I'm really proud he is our quarterback and the offensive leader of the team. Does he have areas to improve upon? Absolutely. But if a person just read this board and did not watch the games, one would have to assume that he is the second coming of Ryan Leaf or Joey Harrington.

Anyone who seriously believes that Ryan is the same as Leaf or Harrington should just go ahead and get a helper monkey to feed them and get their mail. They're clearly too moronic to even be able to function.

I have been scrolling through the topics and find a number of posters who claim we are the worst fan base due to the overwhelming criticism which is rampant on most threads. Whether it be TD, MS, the Executive staff or Matt Ryan, most threads end in verbal abuse. Here are my thoughts: It's not that our fan base as a whole is negative. IMO, we simply have the most persistent trolls who ruin many potentially engaging threads. In most Ryan discussions, the same 5-6 MR critics post 70% of the dialogue. As such, it gives the appearance that we have an extremely negative fan base. But this is simply not accurate. As a whole, our fans are very passionate and loyal to a fault. Heck, from what i can discern, even the Ryan antagonists are very intelligent and have high football IQ. They are just irrationally critical of Ryan and very persistent in the defense of said criticism.

I will say this though.... As a group, I believe the Falcons have one **** of a fan base. There are some really great football minds on this forum and I find myself learning from many of you on a daily basis. I just hate that so many good discussions ultimately end up in childish verbal sparring sessions.

Just my two cents and I am proud to be a member of this forum. Flame away if you feel the urge. :-)

I think many of us who have been fans long enough considering the history are waiting for the other shoe to drop. Varying degrees of cautiously optimistic. Way before the days of the internet as you could imagine even supposed fans trashed the team especially the newly arrived northern transplants here in Atlanta. I suppose it's an old habit of being in the minority defending the team against the majority in rabid fashion. I've learned a lot since then.

Infighting amongst fans of the same team is a little cloudy though. It's like if your brother says something bad about your mother do you kick his azz or agree to disagree. In the end you can't say Falcons fans lack passion. They even fight each other for sport.

As for the minority of people who have such a huge void in their life they like to anonymously stir things up because they are too lazy to achieve things that would give them the acceptance they are looking for so they cheaply fill that void with feeling important on stirring the pot. Kind of goes hand in hand with people who play victim and blame others and fight others for their own shortcomings. Unless there is some fun to be had with a dimwit unimaginative troll I take the cow pasture approach. I see the pile of dung, step over it, and keep moving to where I want to go and not waste my time trying to make that pile into something it is not.

We don't win like the Packers do. They contend. They have history. Great QB's. Great organization. We have no history. Send Great QB's away. Well noted for being a bad organization before Blank.

And you try and call yourself a fan?